Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just my opinion, and I mean no disrespect to anyone, but its all about learning ... Motorola Androids forum

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Advertisement

Just my opinion, and I mean no disrespect to anyone, but its all about learning and adjusting to a new device. There are utility apps that do all the work for you. Some apps adjust different battery draining features according to your location, time of day, Etc. Lets face it, If you're coming from an under powered device, that only does one thing well (email), with a tiny screen then of course the battery should last for days.

You should approach these super phones like the Droid, that has the highest screen resolution on a mobile device, deals with graphics acceleration, 3g data, full HTML web browsing, and does MANY other things well, with different expectations. Charging every night before bed is more than reasonable for me and I don't use any power saving apps except screeble even though I'm a power user to the fullest. Plus the Android OS is in another galaxy compared to the BB OS so there's a learning curve for things like email and battery life. For example, Touchdown, not K9, would've given you an email experience close to BB. But I agree with you about the screen on the Incredible. I found it unusable.

Of course these devices are all about personal preference, and it difficult to have an open mind about switching when you're used to one brand, but patience and research can go a long way. Just speaking in general not personally to you IHateMyTreo.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    i just stuck my incredible on to charge...it was at 13% after 12 hrs and 37 min of medium to heavy use...i was scared about the battery but mine is definitely getting better.

side note rdills...i've been using screebl but today,about mid day i looked at my battery use as it was laready down to 50 something percent and screeble was using 60 something percent????idk what was going on but i disabled it,and later un installed it and was able to almost make the 13 hour mark.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

IHateMyTreo no está en línea Stack level 3
    No offense taken rdills. I agree with much of what you say.

I wanted to love the Incredible, but it just couldn't cut it as a device I use more for business than for play. The screen was a critical defect because I spend a great deal of time outdoors where reflections from snow make the screen even less usable.

I did a lot of research at Pinstack and at competing Android forums (don't shoot me!) and jumped through hoops to save juice (as listed in the first post). Turns out that a LOT of users are encountering the power drain. And using the still or video camera, and the browser, REALLY drain it.

I tested it for 10 days, acclimated well to and enjoyed the new OS, learned a lot, and decided that this particular phone, as great as it was, was just not for this user. I'm certainly open and hoping for another Android device sooner rather than later.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I always find that people never realize just how much they use a new device for the first 30+ days. If you don't put it down... Of course it's going to die fast! I can't say or not if that's 100% the issue here but it sounds exactly like my experience when I first moved from the ultra focused and ever efficient Blackberry. When I first started with the iPhone my battery lasted less than half a day if that much! Now I get more than 24hrs from it but I'm used to the toy now so nothing has changed other than my usage pattern is down to normal. Still slightly more than I used my BlackBerry since there so much more to do and so much dependence beyond email.

These type of smartphones (Androids, iPhones, etc) will not beat BlackBerry in the battery life dept easily because it's like comparing an efficient 4 cylinder car with a well tuned v6 as far as gas mileage --- gas mileage in this case being email. Hey, if email/gas mileage is very important to you and you don't need the power and features, then the sporty v6's are for sure not for you. The ever efficient 4 cylinder will be your solution.

There's no such thing as the best smartphone it's all about the best solution for "you" and from reading this I think you shouldn't even try iPhone or other Androids hehe jk. But for sure, everyone has different needs.

Yes Droid "DOES" powerful... but power has its price no matter how well tuned!

PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    Just my opinion, and I mean no disrespect to anyone, but its all about learning and adjusting to a new device. There are utility apps that do all the work for you. Some apps adjust different battery draining features according to your location, time of day, Etc. Lets face it, If you're coming from an under powered device, that only does one thing well (email), with a tiny screen then of course the battery should last for days.

You should approach these super phones like the Droid, that has the highest screen resolution on a mobile device, deals with graphics acceleration, 3g data, full HTML web browsing, and does MANY other things well, with different expectations. Charging every night before bed is more than reasonable for me and I don't use any power saving apps except screeble even though I'm a power user to the fullest. Plus the Android OS is in another galaxy compared to the BB OS so there's a learning curve for things like email and battery life. For example, Touchdown, not K9, would've given you an email experience close to BB. But I agree with you about the screen on the Incredible. I found it unusable.

Of course these devices are all about personal preference, and it difficult to have an open mind about switching when you're used to one brand, but patience and research can go a long way. Just speaking in general not personally to you IHateMyTreo.
    Very good points. I should have read this but replied after reading the first post. It would have saved me having to basically reword what you've said.

IHateMyTreo no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    There's no such thing as the beast smartphone ...
    Now THAT'S the phone I want! ;-)

PIN/ID
    ask
    going to tweet this thread. Love it!

CommunistJiahui no está en línea Stack level 1
    so thats what "MOTOROLA ENGINEERING" on the back of my droid is for.
    n95-1 on ATT for cheap data
    ATT quickfire on T-mobile for cheap voice
    BB 7100T on boost for cheap data part 2
    Nook with rooted 1.2 for "educational" purposes

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Appreciate the comments, IHateMyTreo! I was getting on the edge of the cliff about to jump to the Incredible and, after some of the comments on PS, I'm surely gonna wait a while. I may just have to pick me out a newer BB and stay with the email champion - that's one of the main reasons I got a BB in the first place. The leap to droid technology looks like it's probably gonna have to be for some better reason's than are out there right now. Otherwise I'd be going from a device with not enough memory to a device with not enough battery.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Appreciate the comments, IHateMyTreo! I was getting on the edge of the cliff about to jump to the Incredible and, after some of the comments on PS, I'm surely gonna wait a while. I may just have to pick me out a newer BB and stay with the email champion - that's one of the main reasons I got a BB in the first place. The leap to droid technology looks like it's probably gonna have to be for some better reason's than are out there right now. Otherwise I'd be going from a device with not enough memory to a device with not enough battery.
    would you expect anything else from a blackberry forum?
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    would you expect anything else from a blackberry forum?
    No, Cat. This is exactly the kind of info and conversation I have grown to expect and love PS for! It's the greatest, free conversation pit about smart phones of all kinds. That's why I came here in the 1st place and that's why I'm still loving it - the freedom to grow from a BB forum to a smartphone forum and keep on going.

Now if I can only figure out what step to take next from my 8330. All in time - no hurry - the Curve still gets me the basics that I need. All the rest is gravy. Thanks to all for the comments.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 05-02-2010 at 01:35 PM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

CommunistJiahui no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    No, Cat. This is exactly the kind of info and conversation I have grown to expect and love PS for! It's the greatest, free conversation pit about smart phones of all kinds - that's why I came here in the 1st place and that's why I'm still loving it. Now if I can only figure out what step to take next from my 8330. All in time - no hurry - the Curve still gets me the basics that I need. All the rest is gravy. Thanks to all for the comments.
    As a current Blackberry owner, what do u think of BB 6.0(and no dissing it just because they used black eyed peas music)?
    n95-1 on ATT for cheap data
    ATT quickfire on T-mobile for cheap voice
    BB 7100T on boost for cheap data part 2
    Nook with rooted 1.2 for "educational" purposes

If you're asking me, I really haven't looked at 6.0. As the owner of an older Curve I tried to run 5.0 for a while. I liked some features in 5.0 but the 8330 didn't have the memory (and probably speed) to run it and keep the essential apps that I want on my BB so I down-graded to 4.5 for now. You might take a look here, and here and here for some pics and comments - there are more threads appearing all the time about it. Good luck.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunistJiahui View Post
    ....and no dissing it just because they used black eyed peas music)?
    Dissing it because of Black Eyed Peas ? Who ? I wanna know !
    My favourite band at the moment ! Especially after one of their songs (I have a feeling...) was chosen as Portugal´s theme song for the Soccer World Cup in South Africa.
    C´mon who´s dissing... ?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    IHateMyTreo, I don't understand why you're saying it's epidemic if I have an HTC device and it hasn't had many of the problems that yours has? I have had a few glitches in the beginnning and one today but other than that it has been flawless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast