Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just a few excerpts: "Motorola Backflip: Android, Minus the Openness" "Much of Android's appeal stems ... Motorola Androids forum

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Motorola Backflip on AT&T: Not the Full Android Experience

Advertisement

Just a few excerpts:

"Motorola Backflip: Android, Minus the Openness"

"Much of Android's appeal stems from its open and highly customizable nature: Compared to Apple's notoriously closed approach, Google's operating system allows you to install any applications you want without needing your manufacturer's blessing. This is a core principle of what makes Android what it is; in many ways, it's the anti-iPhone."

"The Motorola Backflip, however, seems to take a step back from this concept. The option to install unofficial applications -- that is, apps found outside of the official Android Market -- is mysteriously missing from the device; the "Unknown sources" setting is simply not present on the "Applications" menu, where it'd normally be found."

"Control is something we typically discuss when looking at Apple's mobile products. It's a damn shame to see Android being tainted with that same restrictive mindset."

[Read More]

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    No way! That's terrible. I get a lot of my apps outside the market. This is a huge fail! They have iPhone on the brain.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE53) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    My jaw hit the floor when I first read that. It's simply unacceptable! I hope people make them pay the price for doing that by NOT buying it.

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional
    This will go over real good with the Children!

iLord is DEAD!

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    The sad thing about this is that if this sells well (@ $99 I don't see how it wont) than AT&T will more than likely do this with all Android's going forward... And you're right @Sooner, this brand new unique phone will be a hit with the younger generation.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I'm still planning on getting the Nexus One if or when AT&T gets it. If they brand the OS tho I will not be getting one. I will be disappointed needless to say.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    I'm not shocked by this. This is how ATT seems to operate. I don't think you will have anything to worry about on the nexus on ATT since it won't be in there stores only on there network. It's so tempting to get rid of my ATT account but I'm holding out for the ipad so I can cut down a sim card, hopefully
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; HTC Bravo Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    AT&T acting like verizon? Nawt bloody likely. I guess AT&T has finally grown some and decided to nail everyone on sight :-/
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Verizon has not done this to their Droids, hopefully they are not going to get any ideas from att!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Retired
    BHP has a very good point. Buying on line would certainly offer freedom from branding and also offer the added bonus of being unlocked. I did not think of that.

I wonder if this will be a trend for other top end smart phones. If it's the case I will always choose to buy unlock and untainted

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    My jaw hit the floor when I first read that. It's simply unacceptable! I hope people make them pay the price for doing that by NOT buying it.
    like it matters to at&t. they have the iphone. what i do hope is that this gets out into the mainstream and that their image takes another big hit.
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Also being discussed HERE

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    AT&T is now selling the Backflip as buy one get one free. Lol!
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    AT&T is now selling the Backflip as buy one get one free. Lol!
    Really? Only 2 weeks after hitting the shelf. Wow, guess the branding or the design have not taken off. I'm guessing the design
    Buy 1 get one free will not help. Why would anyone want 2 phones that they don't even want one of? Hahahaha

drdoom23 no está en línea Stack level 4
    The question is can u over ride this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast