My son just gave me the Moto Droid for Christmas and I am loving this ... Motorola Androids forum

Krazy Kat no está en línea Stack level 3

Moto Droid does not stay off while charging

Advertisement

My son just gave me the Moto Droid for Christmas and I am loving this phone. However, I am experiencing a weird issue. I power down the phone and plug in the charger and the phone turns back on. Even if I power down while it is charging it turns back on. I am at a loss as to why this is happening. Does anyone have any wisdom to share and maybe a solution? Thank you!
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

TripL no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have no wisdom or solution but I do have validation that you are correct the phone is always on when charging.

I've done some research and it seems this is well known. I make sure to turn the sound off before I charge at night. Also I've been told (and have made a habit of) rebooting the phone every couple of days. I know others will tell you they go weeks without rebooting but its simple enough to do and I'd like to think it keeps things running smoothly. Enjoy your new gift!

Thank you for the validation. Hopefully there will be a solution in the works.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

aergern no está en línea Stack level 3

confused ..

Why does the phone have to shutdown while charging? The iPhone does not charge while shut off either. I don't think this is a bug but just how it works.
    --
    Faith is the truth of passion.
    Since no passion is more true than another,
    faith is the truth of nothing.

That is why I am confused. I am unsure as to whether or not this is how the phone is supposed to operate. I have read conflicting opinions. One thing I read was that the phone did shut off while charging, until the upgrade came out, and that is why it no longer shuts down while charging. In my opinion it seems to be a useless feature whether intentional or accidental. I personally consider this to be the first "Droid Doesn't".....shut off while charging.....

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    It's not a bug but rather designed that way. My best guess is due to OS install
    or re-installs and or other OS mishaps.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    It could be a known motorola quirk. Are you using the factory charger or an aftermarket? If aftermarket, is it one specifically designed for Motorolas? A little known quirk to the consumers about motorola: Charging off a Motorola charger (or one designed for Motorolas) will not power the phone up, however charging off a Blackberry charger will auto power the phone up as soon as the charger is plugged in.

Zo

I am using the factory charger that came with the phone.

zyiro no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    302A0AFF
    its that way by design..... no real explanation on why

just out of curiosity why do you want the phone off while charging? just put it on silent if you dont want to hear it at night.

Quote Originally Posted by zyiro View Post
    its that way by design..... no real explanation on why

just out of curiosity why do you want the phone off while charging? just put it on silent if you dont want to hear it at night.
    I just find it to be a useless feature. After all what possible purpose could that feature possibly serve? I am just used to shutting down the phone while charging.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    It did this before the update as well, and yeah, OEM or 3rd party charger makes no difference. I have never been a phone shutter-offer, but I know many who do like it off at night. Having to remember to silence it can be a nuisance I guess. But it doesn't bug me since I like leaving it on.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4