Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It all goes back to the fact that RIM specializes in mobile devices while Microsoft ... HTC Androids forum

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Blog Entries

It all goes back to the fact that RIM specializes in mobile devices while Microsoft does not.

Simply put, microsoft is just trying to do too much and as a result, all products suffer.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    well said Cyba, good post
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    It all goes back to the fact that RIM specializes in mobile devices while Microsoft does not.

Simply put, microsoft is just trying to do too much and as a result, all products suffer.
    EXACTLY!

Even if they (Microsoft) ARE technically capable of the same level of reliability and security as RIM, the simple fact is that it is unrealistic to expect that Microsoft can devote this much time to one out of over a thousand products (and that's just the referring to their software)!

RIM on the other hand, only has to juggle maybe a dozen or two products/services/solutions, and their primary focus is on their e-mail solutions, secondarily on their handheld phones... Unlike Microsoft, they DO have the time to devote all their attention to perfecting one thing (well as close as you can realistically get to perfect anyway).

~via my BlackBerry Curve 8300 (wap.pinstack.com)~

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    Despite what you may think, RIM has been around for a LONG, LONG time and have a LOT more customers than Microsoft...
    i have to disagree. although i do love blackberry, RIM has only been around since the mid 90's whereas microsoft is and was on the forefront of computer technology in the late 70's/early 80's

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    Even if they (Microsoft) ARE technically capable of the same level of reliability and security as RIM, the simple fact is that it is unrealistic to expect that Microsoft can devote this much time to one out of over a thousand products (and that's just the referring to their software)!

well said. microsoft doesnt have the man power to put into every single thing they release because there are just too many. RIM may be a smaller company but for what they have to offer technology wise, there man power can handle the demand and testing.

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Virex View Post
    whereas microsoft is and was on the forefront of computer technology in the late 70's/early 80's
    You said it yourself - COMPUTING.

Microsoft has been involved in computers long before RIM even existed (I'm guess here, so don't shoot me if I'm wrong!) and I don't doubt for a second that if RIM tried to take Microsoft head-on in any number of battles, they'd probably loose in the most embarrasing way possible...

But Microsoft have only been offering "push" e-mail solutions (which is what the BlackBerry system is) for about 18 months (possibly less, but don't quote me) - RIM have been offering "push" e-mail solutions for AT LEAST 6 or 7 years!

They also offered other solutions prior to this that utilized similar technologies, some of which the current BlackBerry system is directly based on and/or inspired by...

~via my BlackBerry Curve 8300 (wap.pinstack.com)~

Dwaine12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Good Try
    voted #1 for a reason bub...BB rules

chokem no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwaine12 View Post
    voted #1 for a reason bub...BB rules
    Amen brother!

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    You said it yourself - COMPUTING.
    what do you think the blackberry device is? its a smartphone, a small computer so to speak.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Blog Entries
    what do you think the blackberry device is? its a smartphone, a small computer so to speak.
    Mobile computing/wireless technologies are a completely different spectrum of challenges than Desktop PC Operating Systems.

Cyba's point has been that MS tries to dabble in many areas of software technology, instead of choosing just one. As a result, their effectiveness in any one area is middling at best.

RIM has been and remains focused on secure wireless communications. RIM has always been slow to add features around their Push services. It was only 4 or 5 years ago that they reluctantly added phone capabilities to their devices. Once they did, however, they began perfecting its functionality with their Push services.
    Now we've seen them reluctantly (slowly might be a better choice of words) enter the consumer smartphone market. They focused on maintaining the Push quality first, media and other services second. As they've responded to their customers, the media capabilities slowly but surely improve.

Microsoft still, at least in my opinion, doesn't know what it wants to do. So it floods the market with average at best crap.

Just so you can see how far RIM has come in a short time, here is a pic of the BB 950. This was the State of the Art offering from RIM in 2000.
    Last edited by LaTuFu; 04-05-2008 at 11:07 AM.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    ^^^
    OLD picture is OLD lol.
    One person got it right though, BB has been doing one thing and one thing only: push email.and they do it damn good too. Whereas Microsoft does computer OS's and computer peripherals and now is trying to do wireless communications devices. When you try to do too many things at the same time, none of them end up being the best ever.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    Cyba's point has been that MS tries to dabble in many areas of software technology,
    actually i believe i was the one who OP'd that microsoft just was flooding the market

well thats bc microsoft is such a conglomerate that they have too much tech out on the market right now and it would be almost impossible to keep an uptime all those devices and software. now RIM on the otherhand, they are still relatively young in this field and have a lot of expandability in the future, so i think thats why they can focus all their assets and maintain those kind of numbers when it comes to uptime

fleshka no está en línea Stack level 3
    i was just stunned on the easy access. the click ball really gets annoying. especially when wanting to close programs that have a LONG MENU where the CLOSE is at the bottom. i really wish the bb had a touch screen. i think that is one of the big limiting facots with the bb which is why so much software out there is not compatible with bb.

especially medical software which is something i want to use my BB for.

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    all these can maybe one day be implemented on a blackberry, we as the customer just need to pressure RIM to do it. any and all suggestions your should tell RIM and if they can do it, they will.

suggestions@rim.com

fleshka no está en línea Stack level 3
    all these can maybe one day be implemented on a blackberry, we as the customer just need to pressure RIM to do it. any and all suggestions your should tell RIM and if they can do it, they will.

suggestions@rim.com
    ya definitely. they seem very behind in phone times. like they JUST added a camera. the camera doesnt even do video yet.

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    my 8130 from verizon has video

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast