Just for kicks I got a used T-Mo Shadow running Windows Mobile 6.0 (actually, I ... HTC Androids forum

HTC T-Mobile Shadow

Advertisement

Just for kicks I got a used T-Mo Shadow running Windows Mobile 6.0 (actually, I bought it for $40 from my son). Been playing with it all day, it's a pretty cool device - I may report my findings, although it is an older (late 2007) model. -

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Do that Mark. I have another upgrade with ATT coming in June and I'm seriously considering an HTC as a second phone. Would like to hear more about what you think of it.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    I had the shadow when it first came out. It's a really cool device. I really liked windows media. The new version really looks worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    Do that Mark. I have another upgrade with ATT coming in June and I'm seriously considering an HTC as a second phone. Would like to hear more about what you think of it.
    My experience with HTC phones, although limited, is very positive. I'm gonna use this new Shadow for a few days before I say anything, but for a while (maybe a year ago) I used a T-Mobile HTC Tornado for a couple of months and it was bulletproof. It had Windows Mobile 5 point something, but it was always fast, screen and call quality were always clear, and if ya can run a PC you can run a Windows Mobile device. PIM applications were good, but not up to BlackBerry standards. The only negative about the Tornado was the tiny keypad. Interesting note about the Shadow I'm experimenting on now: it has a "standard" cell phone keyboard, but the keys are qwerty like the Sure Type on the 71xx and Pearl BlackBerrys.

PIN/ID
    nada
    Thanks, I'll be checking for more when you use it a bit.

jjdm858 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Cheers!
    does anybody has a say about the HTC Touch Pro? it seems like a very cool phone & impressive...thinking about upgrading from bb to HTC Touch Pro...any ideas or suggestion before i commit myself to it??i like my bb very much but US Cellular does not have any new BB coming very soon yet...this HTC Touch Pro just blown me away... thanks
    The superior man is distressed by his want of ability.
    Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)
    Chinese philosopher, administrator, and moralist.

After a couple of days, I think I'll stick with my Supernova. I don't know if the problems I have had with the HTC are specific to this one, or all of the shadows; but here goes:

-Call quality is poor. For a 4th Qtr 2007 model, it is v-e-r-y poor. Very tinny.
    -No plug for earphones.
    -Memory Card access times - I have a 4gig microSD that I use in my Nokia, and it takes the Shadow literally two or three minutes to access and move around it. If I'm looking at a picture, it takes 30 seconds to switch to the next one. It's almost as bad as a BlackBerry Pearl 8100. On my Nok it's instantaneous.
    -Speakerphone is just as tinny as the handset speaker.

The only thing I liked about it was the Win mobile OS, it's fun to play with.
    I also liked its PIM aps, although they are not up to BlackBerry standards. I'll probably keep it as a second phone, but my main squeeze is still gonna be my Nokia - -

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm also still looking to switch back to WM with my next upgrade. It will be either the Pantech Matrix Pro (if unlockable), Pantech Duo (if unlockable) or maybe even the new HTC device rumored to come to TMobile (Touch Pro 2 I think).

PIN/ID
    nada
    Thanks Mark, I'm going to check out some of the high end Nokias. What model do you have, and how would it compare to let's say, an 8310. I've got a Bold, and an 8310, and I don't see myself getting rid of my 9000.

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    Thanks Mark, I'm going to check out some of the high end Nokias. What model do you have, and how would it compare to let's say, an 8310. I've got a Bold, and an 8310, and I don't see myself getting rid of my 9000.
    My Nokia (my main squeeze - -) is a Supernova 7510, introduced to an unsuspecting world in January 09. It is unfair to compare it against almost any BlackBerry device because it's not a "smartphone" - it's a mobile phone, pure and simple. This handheld cannot compete with BlackBerry in what BB does best: and neither can a Berry compete with the Supernova in what it does best. If you want to take a closer look, I did a review of the 7510 in the nokia forum: Mark Reviews the Nokia 7510 Supernova

Quality-wise I've got to give Nokia the nod over Blackberry currently; in the olden days, when the 7290 was the newest Berry (mid 2004 or so) the better quality was BlackBerry. But that's just my opinion.

However, I'm not done with the HTC yet . . . After my last post about the Shadow, it occured to me that an OS upgrade may help. When I used to use an 8700g Berry, I remember that the quality of sound and many other issues that are easy to attribute to hardware changed substantially with an OS upgrade. (87xx started with 4.1 and topped out 4-1/2 years later with 4.5). So, I have upgraded my Shadow's OS and have begun using it a couple of hours ago. So far, my major concerns - call quality and microSD access time - seem to have been solved. I'll update after a couple of more days of use!

After a few more days, I think I'll stick with this Shadow for a while. The OS upgrade solved the memory card access issue, and it helped (but did not completely solve) the low quality sound. My son let me know that the miniUSB port doubles as the headset jack. Windows Mobile 6 is a lot of fun to work with, and the device seems stable and rugged.

PIN/ID
    nada
    Thnks again for all the info-very useful. My son just got a Samsung Eternity. It has some very cool features and he's really enjoying it. Plus the unlimited data on it is only $10 a month as opposed to $30 per month with his 8100.

Another week has passed and I'm still using the HTC. The handheld itself is reasonably high quality, with one minor glitch: the call quality could be better, as discussed earlier in this thread. The screen is big and bright, although it's only a 65000 color tft instead of my Nokia's "millions" of colors. Pictures and graphics just don't seem to have the same depth. But it's still very good. The camera (2 mega pixel) is good. Battery life is an issue, but I've been on the thing every day all day, so that's probably just me. I went to my local T-Mobile shop to ask about a battery - - $39.99!! The one I have will have to do until I get that second job! What I really like about this device is the T9 QWERTY (sounds like a contradiction, don't it?) and the Win Mobile 6 OS. It's simply a "PC on Wheels". I like being able to create/manipulate folders, put data anywhere I want, etc. I like the Task Manager where I can manually stop running aps and increase available memory, as opposed to having to pull a BlackBerry's battery to release file handles. I like the Mobile versions of Word and Excel that come with the OS. Mobile Word and Excel are available for other platforms, but to use them with the PC-like Win Mobile is very intuitive.

Anyway, I'm leaving my Nokia for this old beat-up used HTC Shadow, in the past couple of weeks it's pretty much won me over. HTC just released a "Shadow 2" for T-Mobile that is still the Juno device and still Windows Mobile, but it's $300 with the 2-year contract so I think I'll wait on that one - - -