I recently picked up the DInc 2, and while I love it I'm noticing a ... HTC Androids forum

StarMile no está en línea Stack level 3

Question HTC Incredible 2 picture size at 8MP

Advertisement

I recently picked up the DInc 2, and while I love it I'm noticing a few things with the camera. If I shoot at the highest quality setting, 8MP, the resulting images are in fact pretty small in size. Small in file size in my opinion... I rarely see one over 1.3 MB in size. Whereas my BlackBerry 9700 with a 5 MP camera regularly produced images 2 or 3 times that size, as does my 6MP DSLR. Pixel count is still huge at 3264x1952, but file size goes anywhere from a low of about 800KB on a low light pic to around 1.MB in full sun.

What is the deal here? I feel like I'm missing out on some image quality somewhere...

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Wanted to compare file sizes, I have an evolution 3d, only 5 MP camera, but results are similar.

2d file size is 737.01kb
    3d is slightly larger at 827.78kb

I don't have an answer yet as to why so small, but looking.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Ok, here's some info. First I found on a board somewhere. Cut and paste.

I know that jpegs can produce different filesizesbasedon what the picture is of. Jpegs don't store all the information for every pixel in a picture. Instead, every pixel that has the same information as another one is referenced. That way, you don't get redundant information stored. I'm oversimplifying this but that's basically how thecompression works. So, if you took a picture of, say, a blankwhitewall, most of the pixels would have the same info, so the file size would be small. Butifyou took a picture of a Tucan's beak, you would have a lot more info, because each pixel might have a different valueand would thus need to be stored

The second is what I was thinking in the first place, and that is that the devices are compressing the images.

Not a rock solid answer I know, but a start.

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Also, if I may... For higher quality pics on any HTC make sure your camera setting is set to superfine. The HTC uses a dynamic camera and so it will measure each shot you take and adjust accordingly.
    If you take infinite picture and touch the area to focus (within the green focus square) far in the background, you'll notice your final resolution is much higher.
    Good luck.