Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AT&T customers now have the best of both worlds. AT&T Inc. and HTC Corp. have ... HTC Androids forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

HTC FUZE from AT&T Fuses Fun and Function

Advertisement

AT&T customers now have the best of both worlds. AT&T Inc. and HTC Corp. have announced the availability of the new smartphone HTC FUZE. The HTC FUZE provides users with a familiar QWERTY keyboard paired with HTC's intuitive, graphic-rich TouchFLO 3D touch-screen user interface for easy one-touch access to a range of fun and powerful features.

TouchFLO 3D is designed for one-hand operation using simple, gesture-based navigation, allowing customers to simply touch, hold and slide along the screen tabs. A quick slide on the home screen quickly activates the most used features such as e-mail, text messaging, music player and camera. This instinctive interface extends to the powerful Web browser. A useful "zoom in, zoom out" feature makes it especially fun and easy to access the Web via the included Opera browser, which provides for desktop-like Web page renderings and user interactions.

Powered by AT&T's 3G network -- the nation's fastest -- and Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional, the HTC FUZE is a compact yet powerful communications tool with a smooth gloss black finish and a distinctive and unique faceted backplate. The HTC FUZE features a sharp, 262K color 2.8-inch (480 x 640) VGA touch screen for touch-sensitive navigation control, complete with three-dimensional animated transitions. For e-mail, messaging and other data input, the HTC FUZE also comes equipped with a full QWERTY keyboard, which was designed specifically for AT&T and slides out from the smartphone's side.

Complete specifications here

bcaldwell85 no está en línea Stack level 1
    How come Att always gets the cool phones?

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3
    Why is that question always asked? They are the biggest gsm service in the us. It makes sense for them to have all the latest phones. Exclusivity for certain phones has to do with the fact they help out with R and D costs. For example the Bold. ATT commisioned blackberry for the bold. They also sunk some money into the research for this phone so it only makes sense that it is exclusive to them in the us so there is no competition.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaldwell85 View Post
    How come Att always gets the cool phones?
    One reason is that AT&T is the most aggressive at buildong relationships with the various phone manufacturers. They are willing to spend huge sums of money in doing so, and as a result they have the best phones. As their number one competitor if Verizon was willng to spend the time & money they could have a better lineup of phones. And yet I don't see them ever having the selection that AT&T does as VZW are CDMA which is not a dominate world standard like GSM.

sent via BlackBerry Bold

PIN/ID
    LESS
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~its a great device. Worth playing with.

Yeah its in that category with the iPhone as fun to play with. However the one fatal flaw is it's Windows Mobile OS which is sure to die off before too much longer. Recent licensing developments insure that Sybian will overtake WM in the HTC group as they begin to promote it heavily in the USA.
    Already a huge success in other countries Symbian becomes one of the three dominant platforms, the other two being the RIM & Apple OS's.
    ~via BB Bold(wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Hate to get off topic but I have to ask this: If Windows Mobile is dying, how come Palm just released the Treo Pro and the Treo 800w (and other companies are still releasing phones with it loaded)?

Webby no está en línea Stack level 3
    Windows Mobile is not dying

The impending demise of WM is simply my opinion as based on the various sources of information that is available to all of us. Symbian (see link below) is a huge leader in market share, and yet not many in the USA are truly familiar with it, even thought they may have heard of it. That said, I most certainly could be wrong about my observations and expectations as to what is happening with WM. I do not claim to have the definitive answer, just sharing thoughts.

This is after all, a public forum. I am not bashing WM, nor do I dislike it. It simply is what it is. I have many WM devices myself, as a hard core mobile communications, and smartphone advocate / user. While I greatly prefer the BlackBerry platform, I have years of experience with WM / Symbian / RIM and in recent times I have become involved as an independent contractor / advisor to Openmoko a true Linux based open source OS, not too much unlike the Android Software Stack. Although Android is Linux based and classed as "open source" Google has not yet released their kernel to the public sector, thus it's not open as of this very moment. However that will change at some point.

Update: Symbian Becomes Open Source

Cheers...
    Last edited by archer6; 11-15-2008 at 02:51 PM.

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Has anyone notice the the fuse is actually the HTC Touch Pro; Look it up.
    And Sprint already had HTC Diamond and the touch pro for sale for about two months now.

One difference, 3G that's it.
    Last edited by planneau; 11-15-2008 at 03:41 PM.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by gatechfireblade View Post
    Why is that question always asked? They are the biggest gsm service in the us. It makes sense for them to have all the latest phones. Exclusivity for certain phones has to do with the fact they help out with R and D costs. For example the Bold. ATT commisioned blackberry for the bold. They also sunk some money into the research for this phone so it only makes sense that it is exclusive to them in the us so there is no competition.

That phone is not new, its actually the HTC touchpro which has been on the market since the beginning of summer. Same phone different name.

http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchpro/overview.html
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

BERRYCURVE no está en línea Stack level 5
    You guys know how ATT like to brand the phones with their own names. My friend just got this device and I must say it's pretty hot. If nothing else, this phone has a LED flash. Which you know most HTC devices have no type of flash which makes it a pointleess device picture wise if it's night time or I'm in the club, lol.

Island3r no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249FFD2A
    I've had this phone since last Tuesday, the release day.
    I can't wait to return it tomorrow for the Blackberry Bold, here's why:

The simplest things are difficult to do one handed.
    Wanna search through contacts and send a text?
    TouchFlo over to the contacts tab, then pull out the stylus (if you want any kind of accuracy) to navigate their alphabetization system. Once I select my contact, I need to put the stylus away, and slide the phone open to type. Then close the phone and hold down the end button to lock it. Mind you there is a hefty lag when opening and closing the phone as it switches viewing modes. This takes way too long.
    In addition, I'm kind of forced to use the keyboard even for short messages like "meet you at 4:30", because the touch screen keyboard, even the suretype variant, is inaccurate.

I will give HTC some credit though, the transcriber is absolutely great. I have terrible handwriting and it is very, very accurate, and just plain cool. However I didn't but this phone to text with a stylus all the time, and in that mode it can't tell if I'm entering text or trying to select something with the stylus, which leads me to my next qualm.

Too many input options
    Really. The keyboard lags, the onscreen qwerty and compact qwerty just aren't intuitive or accurate (this coming from a guy who's never texted on an iPhone, so I'm not comparing it to that). The stylus transcriber works well, and I assume the block letter input does also, but I don't want to be scribbling on my phone like a doctor writing prescriptions all the freaking time. I can't figure out why all the customer reviews on ATT's site are overwhelmingly positive. I can't be the only one who finds this phone more trouble than it's worth.

The very first day I got it, it froze on me.
    Completely frozen, just out of the box. I had to do a battery pull. It hasn't happened since, so maybe it was a freak thing.

In general the phone is laggy.
    I mentioned the lag a bit already, but honestly I just counted a full THREE SECONDS for it to switch back to the vertical view mode. A couple times it's been up to five seconds. Also when typing with the keyboard extended, guess what? There's lag. I'm not even that fast of a texter. I came from a BB Pearl, and I'm much faster on the sure type, but I'm consistently one word (I've gotten up to three) ahead of the text on screen.

It won't do what I tell it to do.
    I set up the calender so that it opens in the "Month View", or so I thought. It only opens in that view if I hit the calender "soft key". I figured that out two days later. If I hit the calender key on the main touchscreen, in the middle on the huge screen, it opens in whatever freaking mode it wants to.

Frustrating.

Also, when I still thought using the onscreen suretype variant was worth it, I set it as the default. Or so I thought. Still haven't figured this one out.

Me:If I must use touchscreen typing, I want compact qwerty mode. kthnx.
    FUZE:You will use whatever the hell mode I feel like providing for you, and you will like it!
    Me:$%#

Internet is reliable...40% of the time.
    In all honesty I opened up the Opera browser (which takes forever to start up, compared to the one on my pearl) to see if it would work, because if it did, I'd be typing the error meeage I get 60% of the time from memory.
    As it stands, I am not typing it from memory.

ERROR! The remote server refuses to perform the request. This address is not available.

Really? I'm pretty sure GOOGLE DIDN'T RUN OUT OF BANDWIDTH!

Also, this phone is so thick I was going to have to become a holster guy instead of a pocket guy...I really don't want to be a holster guy.

Phew!

On the plus side:
    You really, really can't argue with 3.2 megapixels and autofocus.
    The touchflow is nifty for awhile.
    Battery life has actually been more than adequate for me, though that may be because of the aforementioned %40 internet reliability.
    I'm gonna miss the weather app, it simulates these cute little raindrops falling on the screen.
    That's about it.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why no other consumer reviewer has addressed these issues. Maybe I got a lemon, either way I will never even consider another HTC/Windows Mobile mashup.
    Ever.
    Bleh.

P.S. - sorry for the rant, I was gonna write a review on the ATTWS site, but they are down ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by Island3r View Post
    Excellent fair & balanced report. One which gives specific examples of the shortcomings of windows mobile. By writing this comprehensive report you have saved others from the same miserable experience that you had.
    Sent via Archer's BlackBerry

ld-runner no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Island3r View Post
    i would agree with you 100% if i was an average run of the mill consumer. but since i know how to re-flash an HTC device and get rid of the AT&T bloat, the Fuze is leaps and bounds better than the Bold. of course, that is not a fair comparison because one must have the ability to 'hack' the Fuze. however, if you had done that, you would keep the Fuze for a very long time.
    The ROM that AT&T put on the Fuze is a complete joke and dumbs down the device to about 10% of its potential.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast