I see articles like these and wonder if this step, if taken, will take HTC ... HTC Androids forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Here's an interesting HTC news item to ponder....

Advertisement

I see articles like these and wonder if this step, if taken, will take HTC to a higher level or is it too soon for them to consider their own software. Is it a brilliant flash of insight or a too much greed too soon? Read the article and see what you think.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    It will be bad for Google/Android, and for WinMo since HTC makes some of the hottest phones on those platforms......and if HTC does not blow people away with their OS, then it will be bad for them too. It's a risky move, but it could pay off if they do it right. If the rumors about them looking at buying Palm are true, then revamping Palm's WEbOS a bit, putting it in their awesome HTC hardware, and then properly/smartly advertising it could work.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

I agree, AZ. It could be boom if it's done and handled properly or bust if it's not. The opportunity is certainly there.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Intersting to say the least. I had the opportunity on another thread to state that there isn't,yet, a OS that answers all the needs of smartphone users, be it BB, Apple, Android etc. Having said this, I feel there is ample market left over to explore. The manufacturer that can invent a OS that assimilates all known OS systems and add facility of use and compatibilities, add innovative programs and communication facilities will bring us closer to smartphone heaven. If HTC is just going to copy what already exists, the "Columbus Egg" will still have to be discovered...
    Maybe no one is really interested in finding this optimal OS. It will be the end for many and economical interdependency will be lost!
    Let's wait and see !
    Last edited by Delfim; 04-14-2010 at 01:20 PM.

miltw3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    You make a good point.

I think it would be cool if you could have the option to choose what operating system you would like to run on your smartphone. Maybe the smartphone will evolve to such a device. In my opinion smartphone companies still have too many ties to the cell phone companies to make smart decisions about smartphone operating systems.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    That's why the "interdependency" is fulcral to the issue! The day the final client chooses what he really wants, the business of today, as we know and which "they" control, have lost their core economical base. Will it come to that ? I have my doubts the big groups will allow that to happen !

Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    .......................and which "they" control, have lost their core economical base. Will it come to that ? I have my doubts the big groups will allow that to happen !
    I have more than doubts, delfim - I'd say it's a certainty.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ^^^^ I agree !

0thundr0 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think this could be a double edged sword also. It leaves alot of room to succeed very big, or fail very big. I think it's too risky myself.

Founder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well, they bought Palm.
    Somehow I don't believe they are going toward own OS or developing PalmOS for HTC devices.
    I see Android path in front of HTC...
    In space no one can hear you scream.

Samsung GT-I9505 Galaxy S IV (stock Jelly Bean 4.3)
    Samsung GT-I9505 Galaxy S IV (stock KitKat 4.4.2)
    Samsung GT-I9100 Galaxy S II (CM 10.2)

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    When did they buy Palm? Last I heard they dropped out and Lenovo was considering buying. Do you have a link to the news?
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Founder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Last edited by Founder; 04-29-2010 at 06:10 AM.
    In space no one can hear you scream.

Samsung GT-I9505 Galaxy S IV (stock Jelly Bean 4.3)
    Samsung GT-I9505 Galaxy S IV (stock KitKat 4.4.2)
    Samsung GT-I9100 Galaxy S II (CM 10.2)

rmerck no está en línea Device Pro
    As far as the article goes, I think Apple and RIM have the same consumer-minded base. Meaning that they both have loyalty to something that developed their own platform from the start. HTC's crux is that they haven't. It will be a very large challenge to make the current customers (or future customers that have been held at bay for the last three holiday seasons, exposed to plethoras of "other-than-iphone" advertising) want to give another fledgling platform the chance.

And all three of them have a name people recognize and trust. It's either BlackBerry, Apple, or Google.

Apple iPhones sold out instantly from day one, and took a while to catch supply up with demand.
    BlackBerry Bold/Storm/Curve sold out instantly from day one (just didn't have the kind of market share and advertisement that Apple has developed since the 80's)
    HTC Incredible/Evo 4G sold out instantly. Verizon's supply chain isn't expected to be able to ship online orders until June 24th (at this moment), while Sprint's website doesn't even give expected ship dates, much less allow you to make your purchase. And of course, good luck finding either phone in store.

There hasn't been a Palm/Windows Mobile platform to sell out in years. What is their common factor? Limited developer networks and infrastructure, and inability to embrace the public's drive for technology fads.

Android/iPhone OS/BlackBerry will dominate the market for the next decade in my opinion. With BlackBerry's slow advances in upgraded OS technologies, Apple's stronghold on a single carrier (as well as the new data plans announced through AT&T) and app deployment, Android in the long run seems to be the only platform that will remain truly dynamic and at the will of the customer... as long as open source is embraced.

Which brings me to how HTC could pull it off.

HTC, if they did decide to develop their own operating system would need to:

Embrace open source development (which to build the foundation that Android has, they need to get into other aspects of Information Technology)
    Deregulate application distribution
    Invite outside manufacturer's for deployment of the OS
    Find out how to make the population disassociate HTC with Android, and make them think a better alternative (Gotta love T-Mobile's myTouch, and VZW's Incredible commercials)
    Embed their software with Facebook, Mint, Google Chat/Talk, Skype, Exchange, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.

If HTC thinks that deploying a new proprietary system is beneficial before 2015, I will bet the other direction, however if they failed, it still wouldn't bury the corporation.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
    Jesus, Luke 22:36

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
    Gen. John Pershing, U.S. Army