Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Originally Posted by catstide i really doubt thats the case j. usually it's juat a ... HTC Androids forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    i really doubt thats the case j. usually it's juat a random hogpog of randomness. it probably has to do with regions,servers and not overloading anything.
    I'm sure you're right, Cat. If you think about it they couldn't release it all at once. That would have created a vacuum in the network and probably "cratered" something somewhere. It'll get to us all - I'm just trying to forget about it and lose my impatience.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    i just updated mine via rom
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

How'd you get it, Cat? Am I missing something or did you get a notice from Vzn? Is your Incredible rooted (is that the right term for unlocked "in this world?")
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    yep....rooted
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    yep....rooted
    Thought so. I looked at some (very badly done) instructions on You Tube for rooting the Incredible and decided to skip it - I'm not ready to try to use bad instructions/video to get rooted so I can get 2.2. I'll just wait for now.

dhoffay no está en línea Stack level 2
    Anyone have any suggestions as to how to delete pre-installed apps that run in the background? Depleting my battery BIGTIME!!

As far as I know you can't delete them but you can stop them running. Go to settings>applications>running services, press the application you want to stop and "stop" it. You can also go to manage applications and press the application to see if it was pre-installed - if it wasn't you'll get an uninstall option.You can also go to Market, press menu and select downloads to see you it's something you downloaded.

You probably knew all that already but hope it helps some. Some pre-installed apps, like City ID, will expire the trial after 30 days but it doesn't go away.

If anyone knows how to get rid of pre-installed apps I'd be interested too.

BobcatBomber no está en línea Stack level 2
    You can't delete pre-installed apps without rooting your Incredible. Here's some good instructions on how to do that.

Here is a link to the files you need before watching this video.

download rom manager from the market, this is the easiest way to change ROMs. it will also let you make a nandroid backup, which you should always do before flashing a different ROM, it gives you a point to revert back to should something go wrong. Here's a video how:
    or
    While you are rooting, look at this list of Droid Incredible ROMS (click ROMS on left) to see what you want. I also recommend reading about each ROM in the Android Forums (links directly to INC Roms subforum).
    Download the zip file of the ROM you want to flash. No need to extract it.
    Connect your newly rooted phone to your computer, and when your SD card auto loads, click "open folder to browse files".
    Copy and paste the zip file from your computer to the SD card.
    read over all these instructions and watch the video once before attempting to start the process. It's not hard, nor is it terribly risky as long as you follow the instructions. This whole process will take close to an hour since this is your first time and you don't know what you are doing. Make sure you have the time.
    Last edited by BobcatBomber; 11-21-2010 at 03:21 AM.

Digressing...

I switched from my Storm 1 to the original Motorola Droid close to a year ago, maybe. I liked the droid then, but had my eyes set on the Incredible. Wasn't sure what I would think of the Android OS as I was just finally starting to get a firm hold on the blackberry OS (Storm only my second BB). Immediately, I knew I wouldn't like the lack of automatic push emails from pop accounts added to my phone. Gmail is instant push (gmail account required to activate phone), but not the others. You can change the settings to check as often as every 15 minutes, and every time you open the mail app it will search for new messages. Everything else was a much easier transition than I had expected. the apps are awesome...new ones developed daily. I remember the BBAppWorld not having a lot to choose from.

Biggest improvement to me is the internet browsing and loading speeds. I remember my Storm taking forever to load webpages. Not so with the Incredible. Super fast, and the AMOLED screen is just beautiful. Yes, in the sunlight it struggles, but I've never had a moment of panic where I couldn't see my screen at all.

The Sense UI on the HTC phones is simply amazing.

IMO, the HTC Incredible is the first phone that equals, if not surpasses, the iPhone in terms of presentation AND function. I don't miss my BB at all.

Post #53 is the worst format for rooting instructions I've seen so far! Surely someone can do better than a shaky video for people who don't have a clue as to what they're doing when they try to root!

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Post #53 is the worst format for rooting instructions I've seen so far! Surely someone can do better than a shaky video for people who don't have a clue as to what they're doing when they try to root!
    Back when I posted, it was the best instructions I could find. Much easier methods are available now. Of course, we're talking 7 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
    Back when I posted, it was the best instructions I could find. Much easier methods are available now. Of course, we're talking 7 months ago.
    ...and somebody ought to slap my face for making a negative comment in frustration. I should have just kept my mouth shut - didn't mean to offend at all! I was desperate at the time for a good set of instructions for rooting and, largely due to my own ignorance I'm sure, I couldn't even follow it. I finally gave up and, to this day, haven't rooted. I just decided it's more trouble than I care about at this point. If I have to go through that I'll either get a different phone/system next time of go back to a good ol' "dumb" phone.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Hey JB, we're all human. Everyone gets bent out of shape from time to time. I'm probably not going to root this Inspire unless they come up with a certified idiot proof one click root/ROM. It looks extremely difficult. Im chicken. LOL.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    ...and somebody ought to slap my face for making a negative comment in frustration. I should have just kept my mouth shut - didn't mean to offend at all! I was desperate at the time for a good set of instructions for rooting and, largely due to my own ignorance I'm sure, I couldn't even follow it. I finally gave up and, to this day, haven't rooted. I just decided it's more trouble than I care about at this point. If I have to go through that I'll either get a different phone/system next time of go back to a good ol' "dumb" phone.
    No offense taken at all! Was simply providing explanation for my "not so simple" advice I posted. Try androidforums for more current rooting techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
    No offense taken at all! Was simply providing explanation for my "not so simple" advice I posted. Try androidforums for more current rooting techniques.
    Just for the record, Bob, I did look at droidforums and found an easy-to-follow root procedure, tried it and failed to get the right results somewhere in step 2 (after trying it from the start for 3 times) so I gave up. It may be me - it may be the procedure. I don't care any more. I may try it again when I get a new phone before it's loaded up with stuff.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast