Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by markllewis The 8700 and 7130 models are the best in my opinion ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Re: Why a 7130 instead of a Pearl???

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by markllewis
    The 8700 and 7130 models are the best in my opinion with the better of the two being the latter. The multitap entry is very smart and intuitive and allows for faster entry (for me). Of course, a consideration would be if you are accustomed to a full keyboard and want to retrain to the new keyboard. But, if you are comparing Pearl vs. 7130 then this is not relevant.
    All of that to say that with my many years of experience, I prefer the 7130 model over all other models which are currently available. I say "currently" because I can't wait to see what the 8800 has in store and how Verizon plans on responding.
    Good luck on your decision.
    I'm with you, the 7130c is by far my favorite.

That said, I might call to your attention {if you've not seen the info yet} to the 9xxx.

Like you, I was focused on the 8800 until I saw the initial report of some of the specs for the 9xxx. Here's what I've seen so far:

The 9xxx series will have 3G
    The 9xxx series will support a full backup and restore to MicroSD card!
    Not sure if this is just Cingular, but BIS 3.0 will be rolled out at the 9xxx launch
    It will have a new processor. The 9xxx series will have a completely new UI
    The 9xxx series is scheduled to be released Q3 on Cingular

Now that I've seen this and given that I am so happy with my 7130c, I can easily wait for the 9x series. Especially since it will finally be 3G.

Cheers!

AngelCakes no está en línea Stack level 2

I don't know much about the pearl but I have a 7130e and I'm happy with it. As far as the voice dialing there is a program on handago that works with the 7130s and allows us to just say a name in the phone book and it dials it for you. It a lot of times dials someone else but there is a Program

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jmann no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~now the 8800 seems like a "holdover" phone until the 9x series hits.

SteveL1 no está en línea Stack level 2

Well, you all may be surprised with what the final result in my search is going to be. It starts with the fact that the company I work for has 5200 employees and has worked out "deals" with Cingular, Verizon, T-mobile & Sprint for discounted rates and equipment.

I requested a 7130c on Cingular as first choice with a Pearl as my second. They came back with the answer that both Cingular & T-Mobile both highly reccomend NOT getting a 7130 as it's being discontinued and support may only be for a limited time. They would not even quote my company a price for a 7130!

So, if I go through my company for the phone itself, I have to get a Pearl, which ain't all bad as it's gonna cost me a whopping $50. The company is picking up the rest along with the monthly cost for phone and data plane. I asked if I could buy a 7130 on the open market at my expense, and they said yes, but strongly suggested not doing that.

I guess I will get the Pearl and see how I like it, and if it does not work out, I can always pick up a 7130 on E-bay and sell the Pearl and be a few bucks ahead. It could be worse.............they could make me get a Treo!

Thanks for all of the responses and you never know, I might just end up with a 7130 some day.

markllewis no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    I'm with you, the 7130c is by far my favorite.

That said, I might call to your attention {if you've not seen the info yet} to the 9xxx.

Like you, I was focused on the 8800 until I saw the initial report of some of the specs for the 9xxx. Here's what I've seen so far:

The 9xxx series will have 3G
    The 9xxx series will support a full backup and restore to MicroSD card!
    Not sure if this is just Cingular, but BIS 3.0 will be rolled out at the 9xxx launch
    It will have a new processor. The 9xxx series will have a completely new UI
    The 9xxx series is scheduled to be released Q3 on Cingular

Now that I've seen this and given that I am so happy with my 7130c, I can easily wait for the 9x series. Especially since it will finally be 3G.

Cheers!
    Thank you for the information. I was aware that there was going to be a new BB for Verizon with different form factor but was not sure what model it was going to be or the name of it. Believe it will also be a world phone from what I've heard. Thanks for sharing a portion of the model number!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL1
    Well, you all may be surprised with what the final result in my search is going to be. It starts with the fact that the company I work for has 5200 employees and has worked out "deals" with Cingular, Verizon, T-mobile & Sprint for discounted rates and equipment.

I requested a 7130c on Cingular as first choice with a Pearl as my second. They came back with the answer that both Cingular & T-Mobile both highly reccomend NOT getting a 7130 as it's being discontinued and support may only be for a limited time. They would not even quote my company a price for a 7130!

So, if I go through my company for the phone itself, I have to get a Pearl, which ain't all bad as it's gonna cost me a whopping $50. The company is picking up the rest along with the monthly cost for phone and data plane. I asked if I could buy a 7130 on the open market at my expense, and they said yes, but strongly suggested not doing that.

I guess I will get the Pearl and see how I like it, and if it does not work out, I can always pick up a 7130 on E-bay and sell the Pearl and be a few bucks ahead. It could be worse.............they could make me get a Treo!

Thanks for all of the responses and you never know, I might just end up with a 7130 some day.
    Thanks for this report. I'm surprized to hear that the 7130c is so close to being discontinued, especially since it's only been out since July. In addition it has been one of RIM's most trouble free models. Perhaps this is a result of all the new models they have planned for release this year.

As far as the Pearl is concerned, it sounds like you are in a great position to pickup one at an incredibly low price. The only reason I sold my Pearl was the small keyboard and how it was built on a rubber membrane, resulting in wobbly keys. However that's just my experience and preferences. Others with less email traffic probably find it just right for them. In addition the small size and form factor is quite nice.

Regarding support for the 7130, I'm not worried as the overall track record for the BlackBerry platform is so exemplary that I cannot imagine being left without an appropriate solution to any particular need. In addition, I have friends who are still using the older and much larger 7290, as they prefer the roomy full qwerty keyboard that in my opinion is much nicer & easier to use than the one on my 8700c.

However that said, I completely understand why your company would have no interest in a discontinued model, especially if they are being told support will no longer be available.

Another very interesting consideration is the 8700c which has been out much longer than the 7130 and has the same OS. For me that is a big plus as switching between my 7130 & 8700 results in having a choice between two different form factors and input types, all running the same OS & configuration. I wonder if the 8700 will also be added to the discontinued list? Perhaps in a few weeks, just as the 8800 is being introduced.

Now having this information that I trust is probably quite accurate, I'm going to call Cingular and order another 7130c immediately. This way I will have a backup in the event of loss or theft. The size, form factor and keyboard are absolutely a perfect match for me. This would leave me enjoying my favorite model for at least the next year or even longer.

Going forward it looks like the only choices in the forseeable future will be either a Pearl, or an 8800 or 9900 both of which will be bigger and with full qwerty keyboards on devices that are narrrower than the 8700c. Because I'm already feeling cramped with the 8700c qwerty, the fact that the 8800 will be even narrower promises to compress the keyboard even more.

Thanks again for the info, and keep us posted as to which model you choose and how you like it.

Cheers.....

Quote Originally Posted by jmann
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~now the 8800 seems like a "holdover" phone until the 9x series hits.
    Yes I agree with you. What once seemed to be a new model (8800) that would be around for awhile, now does indeed sound like a "holdover" model.

Also based on the post here suggesting the 7130 is soon to be discontinued, it appears that RIM is ramping up the speed of development of new models. Which of course will result in shorter life cycles for existing and future models.

This will be very interesting to follow.

Cheers....

skitzo7170 no está en línea Stack level 1

I have a 7130c. I am getting use to it the more I read the interesting forums people have posted. I was a little disappointed with the fact that the 7130c doesn't have an external slot for memory. However, I agree with archer6 on the fact that I don't lose signal in the places I use to. The pearl is "fun" but I know a co-worker that just got the pearl and he hates it with a passion. But hey, I'm a newbie with the 7130c and all of this pinstack stuff! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by skitzo7170
    I have a 7130c. I am getting use to it the more I read the interesting forums people have posted. I was a little disappointed with the fact that the 7130c doesn't have an external slot for memory. However, I agree with archer6 on the fact that I don't lose signal in the places I use to. The pearl is "fun" but I know a co-worker that just got the pearl and he hates it with a passion. But hey, I'm a newbie with the 7130c and all of this pinstack stuff! LOL.
    Greetings, Skitzo7170 and Welcome to the Forum!

You are really going to enjoy this great forum. There is a lot to learn here and the site is a terrific resource that will save you time as it's all here. After my extensive use and testing of the 8700c, 7130c and Pearl, I can say that the 7130c is my favorite by a wide margin. As you become more familiar with your new BlackBerry, you will be amazed at what you can do with it. I have also had Treo's, a Moto-Q and a BlackJack and I'm here to say that there is nothing like a BlackBerry. The others were filled with problems some quite small and some that were just unacceptable like freezing right while I was in the middle of an important task. While they were interesting to use. I find the BlackBerry fun to use and completely reliable.

My BlackBerrys have never let me down, never crashed or hung while I was working. In addition they have the most logical menus and user interface.

My BB has saved me a tremendous amount of time and is the most usefull device I've ever had.

Cheers.....

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

im agree I tried a pearl but it couldnt compare to my 7130e

SteveL1 no está en línea Stack level 2

Well, my Pearl arrived today and I should be able to activate it in a couple of days. It's REALLY small. Not sure that's a good thing or not. We'll see how it works out for a while. Had to give it a try considering the price. I will try to post some feedback in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL1
    Well, my Pearl arrived today and I should be able to activate it in a couple of days. It's REALLY small. Not sure that's a good thing or not. We'll see how it works out for a while. Had to give it a try considering the price. I will try to post some feedback in a few days.
    Congratulations on your new BlackBerry!

I look forward to your report after you have had a chance to use it.

Cheer.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12