Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm shopping for my first BB and have the option of a Pearl or 7130 ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

SteveL1 no está en línea Stack level 2

Why a 7130 instead of a Pearl???

Advertisement

I'm shopping for my first BB and have the option of a Pearl or 7130 and trying to find reasons to pick one over the other. I figured that you 71xx users would have some answers, or maybe tell me that I'm nuts and should spend the extra $$ for the Pearl. Oh, and the 87xx is out just because of size. Also curious why there are no positive posts about the 71xx. Almost every post is about a problem, where the 81xx threads seem to praise the Pearl. Nobody like theirs???

Only differences that I can see is the Pearl has voice dialing, a camera, smaller size and ???? Is this really worth the difference or am I missing something.

They both have the same keyboard and the size is not that big of a difference. Yea the Pearl looks a little cooler, but 6-8 months from now they will have something even cooler.

What's a shopper to do?????

dibara2003 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Why a 7130 instead of a Pearl???

I have a 7130c with Cingular and have never had problems with it before. It's a good phone overall with good voice quality. People prefer the pearl because there's a big difference in the size... about 1/2 the thickness and there's the multimedia player. However, if this is for business, go with the 7130 as it's more for the professional while the pearl is more for the everyday person.

Curious why you say the 7130 is more for a professional?? They both do the same things plus the Pearl has more 3rd party apps that may actually help with work related tasks. Not arguing with you, just trying to see your point of view.

cookie91398 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2082C541

He obviously has no experience with the Pearl. I have the 7105t and the Pearl and there is a big difference. The 7105t is a corvette compared to other phones but the Pearl is a Maserrati compared to the Vette!
    BOOYAA!!!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

I have experience with both the Pearl, 7130c & 8700c.

I find the 7130c a much better model & perhaps BlackBerrys best kept secret. It has a great keyboard with good sized keys. I can type faster on this than my 8700c. As much as I liked the size of the Pearl the keyboard was just too mushy & lacked tactile feedback. I believe this is due to the keys being glued to a rubber membrane which causes them to be wobbly. Other aspects of this model were disapointing as well.

The battery life is much better than the pearl I had. I have no use for the camera because like most camera phones the pictures just are not that good. Having a iPod means I have no use for a media player.

The 7130c is only marginally larger than the pearl and feels more solid in your hand. It also has the best of the current BB operating systems that is shared with the 8700c.

I use mine with Outlook 2003 & it sync's perfectly & very fast. Email performance is outstanding & very reliable.

I have not had a single problem with mine & it has become my favorite BlackBerry which I use everyday.

I could not be happier.
    ~via BB 7130c (wap.pinstack.com)~

dibara2003 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL1
    Curious why you say the 7130 is more for a professional?? They both do the same things plus the Pearl has more 3rd party apps that may actually help with work related tasks. Not arguing with you, just trying to see your point of view.
    I just say that because there are certain professions where camera phones are not allowed, or just frowned upon, it's like breaking the status quo of what people imagine when you think blackberry. Also, the keyboard on the 7130 is a little easier to type on since they keys have space in between them. But really, to each his own, buy what you feel comfortable with. On a side note, i do have a pearl too and i prefer it since there's more "fun" functionality.

splinter no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30985fa3

I'm currently using both right now, and I cannot break from my 7130c. Saying that I love it would be an understatement. True, the 8100 does have the media player and a camera, but that doesn't make the phone. The 7130 lacks both and in my honest opinion is still the better phone. Like it has already been said, the keyboard feels MUCH better than the Pearls, the phone itself is even more solid. The Pearl is small, and I'm not the biggest guy myself and I feel like it's almost TOO small. I'm in the school of thought that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That being said, I'm leaning toward my 7130c and bumping my 8100 down to backup phone and primary music/video/picture player.
    DO NOT GET ME WRONG, the 8100 is NOT a bad phone by any means. The Pearl is a great phone to own and fun (and easy) to use. It's just not my 7130. Personal preference is what's gonna be the deciding factor. I suggest you go to your local and look at one of each. Take it in your hands and see which feels most comfortable to you. You'll make the decision for yourself and then be that much happier.
    As for all the 7130 complaints and questions, I chalk it up as this: Which phone has been out longer? Naturally more folks will have had it longer, and then more folks will have problems. So they come to ask the other folks that may have had experience with the same problem just to make sure they're not isolated (speculation, mind you.) Makes sense to me.... With the Pearl, just give it time; the questions will come.

markllewis no está en línea Stack level 1

I have been using BB ever since they were PDA (no phone) pager size device. I have used every model since. While I am a Verizon user, my work deems I use Cingular devices so I get to see a wide range of models.
    I would have to agree that the 8100 Pearl is not really as good for business professionals as it has more features than a busy professional would likely use.
    The 8700 and 7130 models are the best in my opinion with the better of the two being the latter. The multitap entry is very smart and intuitive and allows for faster entry (for me). Of course, a consideration would be if you are accustomed to a full keyboard and want to retrain to the new keyboard. But, if you are comparing Pearl vs. 7130 then this is not relevant.
    All of that to say that with my many years of experience, I prefer the 7130 model over all other models which are currently available. I say "currently" because I can't wait to see what the 8800 has in store and how Verizon plans on responding.
    Good luck on your decision.

Thanks for all of the good positive feed back! So far I think that I like the feel of the 7130, but will really miss the BB Maps and the camera. The head phone jack is not a big deal to me nor is the media player. I have gone to the stores to try to compare them side by side, but no one in the area even has a 7130 anymore. They all say that it's old technology now that the Pearl is out. The most frustrating part of this whole thing is how
    UN-educated the sales people have been. With just a few hours of research over the weekend on the net, I know more that they do.

The pearl keys do seem very cramped and small but that is to be expected in a phone that size. I think that I'm down to having the price be the determining factor. I am getting a price for each from my corporate office tomorrow, and if there's more than $50-75 difference, I will likely go with the 7130. If they are close, I will get the Pearl and if I don't like it, dump it on e-bay and get the 7130. How's that for a definitive answer?

Thanks again for the help!

markllewis no está en línea Stack level 1

I downloaded maps to my 7130e just yesterday. But I was so busy browsing I can't recall where I found them at. Maybe from mobile.blackberry.com from the Blackberry browser.
    Might have been from the Pinstack forum app on the BB too. I do know that it was an OTA install.
    The maps are made by Tele Atlas which are the same ones on the Pearl.
    Hope this helps.

Yellowfin no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    317F3C36

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ durability may be another factor coming into play. I can't see a pearl taking too much abuse like I know my 7130 can. It's probably not an egg shell, mind you, but hardly a tank either.

325inewbie no está en línea Stack level 3

the pearl is more fun to use - the 7130 feels much more functional

and yes, the 7130 is FAR sturdier than the pearl

potthoff no está en línea Stack level 3

My vote...........7130c. Have never used a Pearl, but my 7130c is wonderful. No complaints. Don't need a camera, and don't want a phone smaller that my 7130c. It's super easy to type on and it's very sturdy. I've dropped it a couple of times and it still looks and works great.

Quote Originally Posted by splinter
    I'm currently using both right now, and I cannot break from my 7130c. Saying that I love it would be an understatement. True, the 8100 does have the media player and a camera, but that doesn't make the phone. The 7130 lacks both and in my honest opinion is still the better phone. Like it has already been said, the keyboard feels MUCH better than the Pearls, the phone itself is even more solid. The Pearl is small, and I'm not the biggest guy myself and I feel like it's almost TOO small. I'm in the school of thought that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That being said, I'm leaning toward my 7130c and bumping my 8100 down to backup phone and primary music/video/picture player.
    DO NOT GET ME WRONG, the 8100 is NOT a bad phone by any means. The Pearl is a great phone to own and fun (and easy) to use. It's just not my 7130. Personal preference is what's gonna be the deciding factor. I suggest you go to your local and look at one of each. Take it in your hands and see which feels most comfortable to you. You'll make the decision for yourself and then be that much happier.
    As for all the 7130 complaints and questions, I chalk it up as this: Which phone has been out longer? Naturally more folks will have had it longer, and then more folks will have problems. So they come to ask the other folks that may have had experience with the same problem just to make sure they're not isolated (speculation, mind you.) Makes sense to me.... With the Pearl, just give it time; the questions will come.
    I commend you on a very well written post, which truly expresses the different experiences that I too have had with both the the 7130c and the Peal.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL1
    "So far I think that I like the feel of the 7130, but will really miss the BB Maps and the camera."

*** I just had another thought to share with you. After using all three, 8700c, 7130c and Pearl, very extensively, and before making a final decision, and I asked myself this question: What am I going to truly use it for? Then I listed the uses, with the necessities first and the "nice to have" features afterwards. Then I prioritized the list and found that for me the most important featurers were 1) Good Phone 2) Email 3) SMS 4) Keyboard 5) Display 6) Reliability 7) Ease of use. ***

"I have gone to the stores to try to compare them side by side, but no one in the area even has a 7130 anymore."

*** This is largely becuase these are so popular that they are ususally sold out of the stores. This was true when it was the "latest model" months ago and I went into a store where like you have noitced, the sales people have no clue and seem to care less. In addition unfortunately an in store trial is very misleading and in my experience nearly useless. Why? Because SureType is cumbersome at first and without using a live unit for a few days, one cannot get a good feel for the benefits. ***

"They all say that it's old technology now that the Pearl is out."

*** This is absolutely untrue, if anything again from my personal experience, the Operating System in the 7130c is shared with the 8700c and it's the best (IMHO) OS currently available. This is NOT to say that the OS in the Pearl is inferior, quite simply it's new and just not fully developed yet. As time goes by I'm sure it will become as good as the OS of the 7130 and 8130 are now. ***

"The pearl keys do seem very cramped and small but that is to be expected in a phone that size."

*** I agree completely, with one exception that you may or may not be aware of. While they look like individual keys and are technically individual pieces of plastic, they are glued onto a single rubber membrane, a "mat" so to speak. This is why when you try them individually and carefully, you will notice that they "wobble from side to side, up and down, and on the diagonal. The durability is yet to be determined. Some have come off in use. I'm not being critical, just trying to share the info I have. I'm sure in the future this will be improved, as RIM is all about reliability and I'm a huge RIM loyalist. ***

I think that I'm down to having the price be the determining factor.
    Instead of price I might suggest that you take some time and determine what your needs are and in what priority. This is really the key to finding the right device. Ask yourself "What am I going to be doing the most of, on a daily basis?"

The keyboard is such a crucial part of the experience and a determining factor in you enjoyment of the model you choose. If you do anything more than just an infrequent email, you will definitely prefer the keyboard on the 7130c.

In fact this was so challenging for me once I did give them all consideration, I still ended up buying all three. I just felt that was the only way for me to be sure, was to use them equally and then decide.

You will notice on my signature that I kept the 7130c as my favorite and the 8700c as a backup. I rarely sell my tech stuff until it's truly outdated. however there were simply too many compromises and characteristices of the Pearl that I did not like. However that's just my opinion. What I do really like about the Pearl is all the new users it's bringing to BlackBerry.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast