Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am brand new to Blackberry, I just got my 7100g yesterday and when I ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

fpckurtis no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    202B98BC

Question web browsing w/out cingular data plan?

Advertisement

I am brand new to Blackberry, I just got my 7100g yesterday and when I tried to access the browser I got this message, "Your device does not currently have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries."

I talked to Cingular and they said I had to add a Blackberry Data Feature plan to my account to be able to use the browser. Before I got my 7100g I just had a normal phone to make calls and send text messages etc. but I had a media package to look up some stuff on the internet or check my hotmail.

I learned today that the media package i had from cingular, $9.99, will not work with my 7100g. I need a Blackberry Data Package, of which the cheapest is $29.99. I don't see the point of $29.99 just for email purposes (and neither does my fiancee, soon to be wife......). I want to be able to open my hotmail attachments and view them on my phone (save them to the phone, if possible), and be able to access them anytime. I have a terrible memory and would like to be able to use my 7100g to keep myself more organized. It sounds to me like Cingular is not very flexible when it comes to Blackberry and data plans.

So my question(s):
    1. Is there any way I can check my email/use a web browser without getting a $29.99 blackberry data package from Cingular? or to use my media package instead?

2. Is there a way to save and view documents/files without using the browser/email application?

3. I have heard of the plusmo offline web browser, can I use that without a Cingular Blackberry Data package?

Basically, I'm looking for a way to access my email/browser on my 7100g without needing to have the $29.99 data package from cingular because I don't really want to spend $30+ every month just for browser access.

Sorry this is a long post but like I said I am brand spanking new to the world of Blackberry and Internet on cell phones... you could call me a n00b... I would call myself that anyway. Thanks!

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

Re: web browsing w/out cingular data plan?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Welcome to Pinstack. And to answer your question, I don't believe you can do what you want without a data package.

But if you were to add a data package, you would find you will be able to do SO MUCH more with your Blackberry. I really don't think you will regret it.

With the data package, you will be able to do pin to pin, have emails come directly to your Blackberry, download and use more applications. And the list just goes on.

You can even surf the web on these puppys on the go.

Now I know cigular says it does not support pin. But trust me, it does work. Many people here with cingular have reported success with this.

You just may want to rethink your stand on the data. And if you do go for it. I strongly suggest you get an unlimited data package.

Hope this helps you out.

PIN/ID
    202B98BC

I wouldn't be opposed to getting the data package myself, the problem is my fiancee/soon to be wife, really doesn't see the point no matter how hard I would try to convince her. That's why I was looking for an alternative. The men out there who are married you probably understand what I'm saying... if she doesn't want it, there isn't anything you can do to change her mind!

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I swear Cingular just dropped their personal Blackberry package to $19.99. The corporate package is 29.99. Tell them you do not need to access BES and it should be only 19.99 which is only 10 buck more than their "media package" which you won't need with the blackberry plan.

PIN/ID
    202B98BC

I was just on tech support chat with cingular and they said the 19.99 plan is for standard cell phones without blackberry support... i still need the 29.99 data feature... they don't seem to be very flexible

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

fpckurtis, Welcome to PinStack.

You have to have a Blackberry Data Plan to use any data services on any carrier. This is because the BB Devices are designed to use the RIM Network, and RIM needs the fees to run the Network.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Ben, I think what you heard was they created a Personal BB Data Plan at the $29.99 Level. The BES Plan is still $45.99, Unless this change was within the last couple of days, and nobody meantioned it on PinStack.

Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin
    I swear Cingular just dropped their personal Blackberry package to $19.99. The corporate package is 29.99. Tell them you do not need to access BES and it should be only 19.99 which is only 10 buck more than their "media package" which you won't need with the blackberry plan.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

PIN/ID
    202B98BC

so basically what everyone is saying is that I need to spend the 29.99/month extra just to get the BB Data access... no matter what, no other options... am i correct?

d_fisher no está en línea Stack level 3

Correct

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

correct...29.99 aint too bad

PIN/ID
    202B98BC

thanks for the warm welcome, everyone seems so eager to help on these forums... which is rare in any online setting...

about this data plan feature... i am not opposed to paying for it (a little expensive i think maybe just for email), but it would probably help with productivity and organization in the work environment, but my fiancee/soon to be wife doesn't agree and we are on a family share plan - so it's our decision, not just mine

i was thinking... someone said that it is the RIM network that you are connecting to, not necessarily cingular for the data plan, it would be nice if there was a way to go directly to RIM instead of going through cingular (the middle man, if you ask me) to get the activation and use the network... i don't know if it would even be possible but it's just a thought... what does anyone else think?

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Nope, If you're going to be using a cell phone to access a data network, you have to use a cellular carrier to access the network, because the carriers have the towers, not RIM. You are connecting to the RIM data network using the cellular towers that the carrier has. You absolutely have to have that initial link from Device to cell tower to carrier's network to RIMs network.

And it's not necessarily just for email. I use it more for Pin to Pin and Internet purposes than for email, although the email is why I got it.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

PIN/ID
    202B98BC

since i can't access email and internet i am looking for a way to get my pictures onto my phone and use them as desktops but i can't receive multimedia messages without the data plan and save the pictures onto my phone, i can only get text messages... does anyone know how to do this without a data plan? i downloaded free eFile from dynoplex and i can view images but i can't save them in the pictures and use them as desktops... not a big deal, just something i don't have any clue to do... again sorry if this might be a dumb question i don't know much about blackberrys

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Check out this thread, Re: Ring Tones and Pictures without a Data Plan . It's a lot of work just to get pictures to your BB but it will do it.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

aoppleseed no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by mrnoname

With the data package, you will be able to do pin to pin, have emails come directly to your Blackberry, download and use more applications. And the list just goes on.
    I am also new to the BBs. What is pin to pin?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast