Has anyone been able to compare the BB 7130e w/ Verizon's 'EVDO' network vs. the ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

noejeff0 no está en línea Stack level 1

Verizon EVDO vs. Cingular EDGE

Advertisement

Has anyone been able to compare the BB 7130e w/ Verizon's 'EVDO' network vs. the Cingular 8700c w/ their 'EDGE' network?

I'm considering the VZW 7130e w/ EVDO (still don't like the SureType). Had a B7230 for over a year and it's really going to be hard to go from QWERTY of the 7230. Heard that VZW's EVDO (when available) is much FASTER and has better 'building penetration' of signal than Cingular's EDGE network.
    Last edited by noejeff0; 11-28-2005 at 02:57 PM.

vyperz no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    240F667B

Re: Verizon EDVO vs. Cingular EDGE

Welcome to pinstack.com noejeff0!~

Look around and enjoy your stay, we're here to help.

I'm currently using a 7230 as well, and I have a 7100t too. SureType is pretty kool, it took me at least 2 weeks to get use to. Here's some threads for your reading pleasure. And once again, welcome to pinstack.com!~

Network Types Explained in brief… GSM, GPRS, CDMA, Mobitex, EDGE
    http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryfo...highlight=GPRS

Thread: Quick Question Regarding Networks
    http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryfo...read.php?t=574

Thread: Typing on a 7100 (Poll)
    http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryfo...light=suretype
    vipz o';'o

Pinstack.com ~ where Blackberry Professionals Connect!
    Get your Pinstack Gear here!~

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

good points jeff. I havn't been able to test either. However, the suretype depends on the user sometimes. I suck at it but i've seen persons who can type as fast or faster than most on the QWERTY BB's.

Welcome to pinstack!

jgrant6100 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    203A8688

Re: Verizon EVDO vs. Cingular EDGE

Quote Originally Posted by noejeff0
    Has anyone been able to compare the BB 7130e w/ Verizon's 'EVDO' network vs. the Cingular 8700c w/ their 'EDGE' network?

I'm considering the VZW 7130e w/ EVDO (still don't like the SureType). Had a B7230 for over a year and it's really going to be hard to go from QWERTY of the 7230. Heard that VZW's EVDO (when available) is much FASTER and has better 'building penetration' of signal than Cingular's EDGE network.
    Jey Jeff, I can tell you that the EVDO is currently faster than EDGE, however my experience with our Edge technology has been outstanding, whether it be inside or outside of a building, including our call center . With that said we already have UMTS with HSDPA (high speed download packet access) in certain markets, which supports speeds of 400 bps to 700 bps and sometimes faster, which is faster than the EVDO technology. We are shooting for 100 of the top 100 markets by the end of the year, but we all know how technology seems to take longer than expected (At times). Of course the question is #1 is this service available in your area at this time and #2 will Blackberry make a device that supports Cingular's faster data service. I don't have an answer for either of these questions at this time, but it is something to look into. Considering that the new 8700 uses Edge technology, I don't see a BB device coming out right away supporting the faster speed for Cingular.
    Jeff Grant
    Cingular Wireless Manager

"Come on now, you know Cingular is the way to go :)"

jonbw no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    31837B64

Good thread and posts. I am with Verizon getting a 7130e on Monday and looking at going to AT&T for the Curve midyear. I know things keep getting better as technology moves along so I am not too concerned about one carrier or another...well with these two anyway. I also like it that I can do AT&T for a data only line if I choose to keep Verizon for one reason or another. NE2 may keep me there on one line for a year.

Optyx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21CD6654

My experience with my Verizon service has been great. I've had my BB 7130e for 2 days and so far have yet t drop a single call. even on the outskirts of Columbus it works great so I'm happy with my purchase. I recommend going with VZW it's a good network and constantly growing and improving. Hope you like your BB.

PIN/ID
    31837B64

Optyx
    Yep I do. Love it in fact. It equals or is better than my moto e815 and no dropped calls either. I have had several hour long calls and no problem. Bluetooth or headset both work great and I am getting used to typeing with it and it really is fast. I looked at other services this time and decided to stay with Verizon as it has the best for what my needs are. CS was very helpful with a few things even tho I got my BB off ebay.

PIN/ID
    21CD6654

I used eBay to get my BB also my only gripe there was that the place I bought it from sent me a bad charger. :-( but at least I had my charger from my razr v3m so that worked just fine. I bought a rocket fish bluetooth headset to use with my BB at best buy IDK but the 2 can be next to each other and lose the connection, thats annoying but it only happens when I'm not on a call so far. anybody know how I can get the bb to not tell me when it looses the bluetooth connection and show me the icon only?

BTW this site is awesome never knew such a large community existed for BB users its really great.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

welcome to you both... but wow this thread was started over 2 years ago lol things have changed as far as Verizon's offering QWERTY now and Cingular's EDGE is still slow
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

PIN/ID
    21CD6654

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's because AT&T still sucks.

PIN/ID
    31837B64

I was going to get a Curve from AT&T or Tmobile until I read all the comments on this and other forums. No way. Choose the best carrier, then go with the phones they have. Nothing is perfect for sure. But, Verizon, IMO, comes closer as far as call quality, no dropping of calls to speak of, and the over all service they have. Not saying I am totally happy with everything they do or have, but if I was anywhere else it would be a short stay. Other carries are ok in some areas and for some reasons, you just have to look close at what you want and what is where you want it. As for Bb's with Verizon, now that I have tried the 7130e, I am happy with what they offer. I may, or may not upgrade as I do like not being in a contract. However should I decide to go with the pearl someday, it would be worth the savings in buying it retail, again IMO.