Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ok I think I am not following here on these steps to unlocking the themes ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

misskar no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Re: unlocking themes on 7100i

Advertisement

Ok I think I am not following here on these steps to unlocking the themes for the 7100i.
    Is this done on your PC using the deskstop manager software?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

PIN/ID

Ok I just tried to go through this

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8700-v4.1.0.286_P2.0.0.123

But my computer only goes to thisC:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion

Then I have these choices

AppLoader
    Modem Drivers
    RIMDeviceManager
    USB Drivers

So what should I click on to get this to work.
    As you can tell I am still learning the ins and outs of this blackberry

Quote Originally Posted by misskar View Post
    Ok I just tried to go through this

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8700-v4.1.0.286_P2.0.0.123

But my computer only goes to thisC:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion

Then I have these choices

AppLoader
    Modem Drivers
    RIMDeviceManager
    USB Drivers

So what should I click on to get this to work.
    As you can tell I am still learning the ins and outs of this blackberry
    If you want to unlock vendor themes, use the search option on your Windows computer to find the file "blackberry.alx" It's in the program files\common files\research in motion\ etc. path you stated. It's easier to find it with "search". "Blackberry.alx" is a text file that instructs the application loader what applications and settings to apply to your specific device. It is important that you back up your blackberry.alx before you start editing it so if you make a mistake you can back out and start over. I always back it up to the desktop so it's easy to find. After you find and backup blackberry.alx, then on your 7100 (unconnected to the computer) hold in the "alt" key and type EACE. A help screen will come up; find the "Vendor ID". For T-Mobile I know it's 100. This Vendor ID lets blackberry.alx distribute applications and settings correctly. In other words, blackberry.alx says "if the device is an enhanced keyboard (suretype) and the screen is such-and-so in size, and the vendor ID is 100, then install this." Your task is to edit blackberry.alx by replacing other vendor IDs with your vendor ID on vendor themes you want.

Heres an example.

"<fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Reduced" Java="1.0" _vendorID="107">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_107_240x260.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

This snippet of blackberry.alx says if it has a color screen, the keyboard type is suretype ("reduced"), it uses java 1.0 and the vendor is 107, then install "net_rim_theme_107_240x260.cod". If I wanted this theme on my T-Mobile 7100 I would change the vendor ID in the quotes from 107 (which happens to be Rogers) to 100 (which is T-Mobile).

After your blackberry.alx is edited and saved, then the next time you attach your 7100i via usb to the computer and start desktop manager, it will pop up a window on the PC asking if you want to install the updates.

If you make a mistake, don't panic -- just copy the backup blackberry.alx back into it's original location and re-attach the unit to the computer.

Have fun!

PIN/ID

Thanks I will give that a try.

beast14 no está en línea Stack level 1

i am gonna try this cause i am not able to use themes either

PIN/ID

ok I did a search for this file blackberry.alx and it didn't come up with anything like that. Any thing else I should try?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

ok I did a search for this file blackberry.alx and it didn't come up with anything like that. Any thing else I should try?
    The directory of file will now be there till you install your handheld o.s onto the pc, then you will see that path and files available to edit.

PIN/ID

Lord I feel like such an idiot. So where do I download the OS to my pc? Do I go to that blackberry.com or net and download it there?

Lord I feel like such an idiot. So where do I download the OS to my pc? Do I go to that blackberry.com or net and download it there?
    Should be available as a download from your service provider. Generally, service providers will offer a single download that includes their latest versions of the Operating System and the Desktop Manager. It will download to your PC as an executable file. When you install it, it will create the files and directories necessary. After installation, connect the BlackBerry to the computer with the USB; then start Desktop Manager. Since it's a new relationship, the DM and the BlackBerry will spend a few minutes getting to know each other -- and the Desktop Manager will ask if you want to upgrade your BB. (I forgit the exact language it uses -) When you choose "Yes", then DM will install the OS on your device and create a folder and path on your computer with a name something like: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\7100-v4.1.0.377_P1.8.0.154." This is the path you were trying to follow when you got lost initially. In this folder will be your blackberry.alx file, and all the files it needs to determine the setup of your Berry.

Now, the whole installation procedure is a little more complicated than what I just described, but what I gave you is the gist of it. There will be a few messages where you'll need to choose yes or no, but it's all very clear and the whole procedure is menu-driven, so you should be OK.

ntajhn no está en línea Stack level 1

How can i get some of these free themes for my 7100i

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ntajhn View Post
    How can i get some of these free themes for my 7100i
    6 posts above yours should help you out if that's what you mean by "Free themes".

krose14 no está en línea Stack level 1

Keyboard

I have followed the directions exactly and I have the themes unlocked, however the symbols on the keyboard are different and wanted to know how to correct that. I replaced the blackberry.alx file back with the original and that issue still exists. Does anyone know how to correct it?

I have a 7100i with nextel and I believe the vendor code is 103

Thanks for your assistance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12