I've got a couple of icons on my 7100g that I can't figure out and ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

Saltimboca no está en línea Stack level 1

Unexplained icons

Advertisement

I've got a couple of icons on my 7100g that I can't figure out and would appreciate some help.

One has been there for some time, in the top center above the date. It's two tiny circles connected by a curved line at the bottom, with a number to the left. I'm guessing it may be a voice message indicator (the icon is supposed to be an open reel tape recorder maybe?), but the number never goes below 1, even when I have no voice mails.

The other just appeared a couple of days ago, in the top right inside the signal strength display. It's a horizontal rectangle containing the number 123. Nothing in the behavior of the unit seems to have changed, but I know it wasn't there last week.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: Unexplained icons

Saltimboca. Welcome to the Stacks. I don't own a 7100g so I can't help you out here. Someone will be along very shortly to answer your questions.

Riverman777 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2032b94f

Hey there! I too have a 7100g. You are right about the voicemail icon. Try doing what's called a hard reset. I believe (anyone please correct me if I am wrong...) is to power off your phone and remove the battery for at least 30 seconds and replace the battery and power up. If the icon is still there, call your sevice provider and let them know. I had that problem too when I first had mine and I don't remember what I did (Sorry!). The other thing that has happened is you are in the "numerical input" mode. Look through your book and it will show you how to select the mode of typing input you want. I know you can do this in the text messaging mode. Is that where you see the square with the numbers? Also, If you have version 4.0 software I HIGHLY reccomend that you upgrade to 4.1 because there is a TON of free stuff for you to load on your phone. I can't seem to paste a hyperlink to a forum in this site that gives you the step-by-step on how to upgrade if you so choose. Just look around the past forums here.
    Using 4.1 is the best thing to happen to my phone.
    Hope this helps!
    Riverman777

Saltimboca no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks, Riverman. I tried a hard reset and it had no effect on the voice message indicator - but it did get rid of the 123 icon! Go figure. Unfortunately this is a company phone running off a corporate server and I can't touch the software.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

If you go into messages, click trackwheel, scroll down to voicemail messages, and delete any unwanted messages. Try this.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I occasionally had that problem with 7100 being locked into number mode, at the least the icon was there, even if it wasn't in number mode. A restart always cleared it.

The voicemail indicator may be fully the carriers fault. Myself and a few other friends have all had it that the display (on any device, not just BB) would indicate a new voicemail, but there were no voicemails at all!

It's a type of signal or data message the carrier sends to the device to notify of a new voicemail. But it was on occassion that the network was sending this signal by mistake.

Only way to fix it was calling customer service and have them hard reset the voicemail indicator.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

With Nextel phones, to solve the ghost voicemail icon you will call your own number, leave an urgent voicemail, and when you delete the urgent voicemail the mysterious notification will disappear.

pentace no está en línea Stack level 3

no that is a reel to reel icon aka a MWI the only way to rid yourself of it is to dial your vm and get rid of all new messages
    Welcome to my World!

rlebovic no está en línea Stack level 1

Yeah,
    I think that to get rid of the voicemail icon you may need to call customer service.

Regards,
    Rob
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~