Has anyone had his Blackberry Unbranded? If so which model and what is your comments. ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

whensmett no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20452E97

Unbranding a Blackberry

Advertisement

Has anyone had his Blackberry Unbranded? If so which model and what is your comments. Pros/Cons

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Unbranding a Blackberry

UNBRANDED? what exactly do you mean? Your not talking about UNLOCKING are you?
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

PIN/ID
    20452E97

Unlocking is removing the network lock the providers put. I.e. Allowing to put another providers sim into the phone and registering to their network.

Unbranding is removing the firmware customizations that a network provider has put in, such as the Cingular startup screen, menus that are hidden etc. In other words making the phone the same way it should have been if it was bought from RIM.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

thats a tuff one

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by whensmett
    Unlocking is removing the network lock the providers put. I.e. Allowing to put another providers sim into the phone and registering to their network.

Unbranding is removing the firmware customizations that a network provider has put in, such as the Cingular startup screen, menus that are hidden etc. In other words making the phone the same way it should have been if it was bought from RIM.
    While I sure it's possible to Unbrand a BB, I also believe it would require a visist to the RIM Factory, to either replace the ROM that contains the "Branding" or at least connect the device to the Special Inspection Equipment used to perform the branding.

I have never heard of anyone achieving this successfully on their own.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5

That sounds like a extension of unlocking, I know that you can get the unlock code from your service provider and it will allow you to use other providers sim cards but you will still see the Logo and bootup screen of the original network provider.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I guess I should have added that I'm pretty sure that the Branding Data/Images are stored either in true PROM chips that require replacement to incorporate changes or EPROM that cannot be changed without connecton to the Factory Test equipment to update. In my industry we use both methods to protect certain equipment settings to prevent them from being changed in the field.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

I was pondering this also...When playing around with the OS trying to delete the preloaded ring tones, I was wondering if in the OS is where that information lies (blackberry alx file). I gave up though cause it was driving me nuts and I loaded/reloaded/upgraded/downgraded the OS like 20 times in one day and still wasn't able to get the ringtones deleted. Assuming that the vendor themes are on there, I was thinking maybe I could go in and do some other things...I had given for a few days, but after reading this, I think its time to get back in there and do a little more searching around...now just need my boss to leave.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Where there is a will, there is a way! This can be done with most phones on the market. I have never messed with this on a BlackBerry though. Good question.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by cp6169
    I have never messed with this on a BlackBerry though. Good question.
    Its a pain...Just when you think you've got it, you load the new OS and BAM...There it is...same thing...But that does bring up a question that I am sure someone here will know, but don't know if anyone will have the EXACT correct answer (maybe a lot of speculation).

When the devices leave the RIM manufacturing plant, what exactly is on them? Are they all "branded" and "locked" there at that facility? Or are they shipped in bulk to the wireless providers where they then do all of that stuff and above mentioned programming...

Where is Shawn, I am sure he will know...

PIN/ID
    20452E97

Guys, thanks for all the replies. I personally think the provider customizations are in the device. I played a little bit with my old 7100t (from T-Mobile) and I loaded the Cingular version of the OS. The initialization screen remains as T-Mobile. Therefore I am certain these customizations are stored in the handset memory.

Secondly, given that RIM produces a blackberry version for each provider (7130c for Cingular, 7130i for Nextel and 7130g for T-Mobile/Vodafone) I believe RIM is loading the customizations.

Thirdly, given that 7130c and 7130g are identical except the case, I want to believe, but I havent researched the device hardware that these customizations should be stored in some EPROM and not ROM. In other words, RIM manufactures the same hardware and in the final stages of the process loads the specific provider firmware on the EPROM and the case it in the appropriate case for each provider.

So we are still looking for someone who can provide more specific info.

Thanks again

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

As I said before, It may be EPROM, but one that requires control by the factory test set to reprogram. Without that equipment, there would be no way to reprogram it. I think we're out of luck.

Rcbjr.