View Poll Results: How long did it take you to master the 7100 suretype?

Voters
75. Register free to vote on this poll
  • a few days

57 76.00%
  • a few weeks

8 10.67%
  • a few months

3 4.00%
  • i'm more like unsure type

7 9.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SureType was my BIGGEST concern when moving from a 7230 to my 7105t. It's no ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

Re: typing on a 7100

Advertisement

SureType was my BIGGEST concern when moving from a 7230 to my 7105t. It's no big deal really. I like that I pay more attention to the finished text and read more for errors. Everyone was right... if you just type 99% of the time the word comes out right!

My biggest gripes are the words

day/fat - same typing strokes
    are/see - same typing strokes

the delete key is lower than with a QWERTY keyboard. I keep adding L when I want to del.

I also noticed there aren't as many quick keys for getting in and out of programs. Ex: M - to get to messages A- for address and contacts.

I think RIM did a nice job for a predictive text app and agree that any drawbacks from the QWERTY are far overshadowed by the rest of the PHONE features and performance.

Dan_Rock7 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    202CDAD9

took me a couple of days to get a basic hang of the different layout - but now find it easier than a normal mobile keypad layout...

as others have said the best thing is to keep trying it - it gets a lot easier!! and then you will swear by the layout!

Dan

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I have the same gripe as tweeler. The worse is get/hey and to/yo. I need to stop saying 'yo' when I get IM'd.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

I think I prefer a full keyboard, like on the Sidekick, but I do not regret getting this phone and would pick it over the Sidekick any day.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

It was easy for me the day I got the 7100t because I had been using a 7730 and a 950 (used for AOL's Mobile Communicator Service) previously and was familiar with the keyboard layout. For those who prefer the full keyboard, all of the other series, except the 7100 and 8700 devices, have full keyboards.

Danimal no está en línea Stack level 2

I would assume that since I have never used a device like this that I shouldn't have a hard time picking it up? Is this a fair assesment?

MrX
    MrX no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304185AB

I use the multi tap method , since I like it better.

GadgetGurl no está en línea Stack level 2

I've only used the 7100T keyboard, I like it!

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~

bswallace no está en línea Stack level 1

i have had my BB for one week and mastered suretype the first day. now i am trying to decide which apps would actually be useful to me.

Danimal no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    I would assume that since I have never used a device like this that I shouldn't have a hard time picking it up? Is this a fair assesment?
    Well I have had my 7130 for just shy of a week and in less than 2 days I had the Suretype down. I was actually suprised at how easy it is.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome!"

Wombat no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2104929D

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~
    I've used both the full qwerty keyboard and the 7105t. I was worried about suretype but picked it up in a couple of days. I think I am faster now then with the full keyboard, except for odd word like qwerty (BTW, suretype got qwerty every time but the first in this post).

SureType is even easier for me now on the 7105t thanks to the contoured keys. I don't see how I was even able to type on my full keyboard BB's before LOL

sonofbum no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    40117ea1

ive used both keyboard the full QWERTY of my 7520 and my suretype on my 7100 and i prefer the suretype once you figure it out not saying it took me long just longer than it took me to learn the QWERTY

macdaddyb no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    301213E5

I took the 7250 and my 7130 for a little comparison test. I timed myself pounding out a couple of sentences on each, and I was just about as fast on each. I made less mistakes on the 7130 (maybe I'm just a little more used to it?), and it felt more comfortable, since it required less motion to get between the keys. Like the guy said earlier, suretype is very similar to the predictive text on Motorola phones, which I was already used to. I picked it up right away. I could see how a regular user may eventually be faster on the bigger keyboard, but I doubt by much. I think the transition would take longer if you were used to the full QWERTY keyboard, but I'm just guessing due to the difference in typing style. Since I went from SMS'ing on a motorola phone to the 7130, it was very intuitive and easy to get used to.
    Since SureType learns what words you use, it just gets better over time. The more you use it, the more accurate it becomes. Several times I typed a word, and it predicted the wrong word, so I backspaced and typed it the exact same way. The second time (and every time after that) it used the word I wanted. It's not exactly difficult to type with SureType turned off either, IMO.

There are only two gripes I have 1) When entering PINs I sometimes forget to enable SureType after that because if I hold a key down too long, SureType converts to MultiTap. 2) Using MultiTap when entering passwords to login to a website. I sometimes want to tap each key twice thinking SureType will work LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast