I am a long time Nextel user and I love my Blackberry 7100i. The thing ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Switch to 7130e

Advertisement

I am a long time Nextel user and I love my Blackberry 7100i. The thing I miss is the modem capabilities of the i860 that I exchanged for the 7100i. Would it be possible to switch from Nextel 7100i to a Sprint 7130e without breaking the two year contract I have? Can I switch from Nextel to Sprint and keep my number? What are the differences between the 7100 and the 7130? I believe the 7130 can be used as a tethered modem, is that true? I am on a Mac and I have had great success with older versions of Quicklink Mobile and iDen. Any caveats about Sprint and Mac?

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    D
    Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow
    I am a long time Nextel user and I love my Blackberry 7100i. The thing I miss is the modem capabilities of the i860 that I exchanged for the 7100i. Would it be possible to switch from Nextel 7100i to a Sprint 7130e without breaking the two year contract I have? Can I switch from Nextel to Sprint and keep my number? What are the differences between the 7100 and the 7130? I believe the 7130 can be used as a tethered modem, is that true? I am on a Mac and I have had great success with older versions of Quicklink Mobile and iDen. Any caveats about Sprint and Mac?
    Number port: Should be as long as you are current on your bill
    Differences: Many...You can run a comparative report at blackberry.com
    Tethering: Sure, but I think Sprint charges extra for that
    Switch without breaking contact: Not sure...But if I were you and I wanted to switch devices and it was with NexTel and Sprint...I wouldn't take no for an answer...TECHNICALLY they are one in the same companies overall, so if they say no and you complain enough, they will do it...Just don't give up.

richardrblc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22cf4edb
    sprint/nextel when sprint first bought nextel they where allowing anyone that wanted to change to either platform if this is still true they will change no problem
    pin me any time 22cf4edb

I talked to Sprint. They will waive the cancellation fee for the 7100i but they want to charge me full price for the 7130e. I was hoping that I can get the "upgrade your phone" price or a new customer discount. It would be cheaper for me to pay the cancellation fee and go with another vendor. The "phone as a modem" does cost an additional $49.95 on top of the $49.95 that they charge for the Blackberry Unlimited Data plan. That's $100.00 a month for just internet access without the cost of the phone service.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    If you are a corp/govt account/business...

Yes you can switch to Sprint, you will then be on the Sprint billing system. There will be no activation fee with Sprint, no cancellation fee with Nextel. You will qualify for the 2 year contract price on the new BB. May I suggest you getting the 8703e by Sprint? The 2 year price is only $200.

If you are an individual account...

Yes you can get any Sprint phone you choose, but you will have to be qualified for one. You must check your upgrade eligibility, and that will determine your price. Being an individual account you will not have to move over to Sprint's billing system, you merely upgrade your phone, just like you would if you wanted a new Nextel phone. You will have to pay a $36 upgrade fee, but again there is no cancellation fee, mainly because you are not switching accounts.

In the long run Sprint and Nextel are going to merge their two billing systems, right now they are testing that with individual accounts.

If you have any other questions I would be glad to help.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    *Phone as modem is FREE with the Unlimited BB data plan*

I would suggest getting the $39.99 Unlimited Data plan instead of the $49.99 one you are on.

I'm confused. My bill shows the Blackberry Unlimited Data Plan as $49.99. I didn't know that there was a $39.99 Unlimited option. The Sprint phone rep told me that I needed the $49 Unlimited Data Plan and the $49 broadband access plan in order to use my phone as a modem. Is that not correct? I am just about to switch over to Verizon for their 7130e and data plan. It is about $40.00 cheaper a month and includes the tethered modem access. Am I getting ripped off by Nextel (been a customer since about 1994).

BTW, I did notice that the Sprint 8703e has the modem enabled but the 7130e says it is modem capable. I really like the form factor of the 7100...I dumped the 7250 because it felt awkward to use.

I just called Sprint again and they assured me that I need 2 data plans in order to use the phone as a modem. Each plan is $49.99. I guess I'm still confused.

Both Sprint and Verizon say that the tethered modem will not support Macintosh. So I guess I'm out of luck anyway.