This is probably a simple question, but I'm new to BB's so I'm not sure. ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

PIN Number is associated with the device or SIM?

Advertisement

This is probably a simple question, but I'm new to BB's so I'm not sure.

Is the PIN number associated with the device or the SIM? For example, if I buy another BB and put in my old SIM, do I now have a new PIN number also?

Does it matter to the carrier from a service point-of-view what the PIN number is? If I buy another device and if the answer to the first question is that it does change with the device, do I have to call my carrier and tell them the new PIN?

TechieGirl no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: PIN Number is associated with the device or SIM?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~PIN is associated with the device, not the SIM

TechieGirl no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Most PINs and associated ESN are locked to certain carriers. You would need to contact RIM to have them ask the original carrier to release that PIN. Hope that helps.

So as long as I'm buying an "unlocked" device that hasn't been registered or has been released, I can use my SIM with it, but if I sell my phone (which is locked to Cingular), I'd have to call Cingular to have them release the PIN?

I'm assuming the phone would still be locked, but someone else can still use it with Cingular, correct?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

mrdeeno, When you go into your BIS setup to input the new PIN and IMEI, on Cingular that is all that is necessary to release your old BB from the network. Replacing one device with another does it.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thanks for all the info.

I've been reading about having to call the carrier to "release" the PIN, but I guess it's different with every carrier.

I'm not going to be switching out anytime soon (only had my 7130c for 2 months now), but I'm waiting for the 8100 for cingular to come out and will probably switch and sell my 7130c. I just didn't know what the process was to "release" the 7130c for another cingular user.

My company gets a pretty good discount on full-price purchases (sometimes $up to $150 off the full price), so if I can get a Pearl for less than $200 through Cingular I'm gonna do it.