Is it possible to check email through OWA on a Blackberry?... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

Danimal no está en línea Stack level 2

Outlook Web Access and BB?

Advertisement

Is it possible to check email through OWA on a Blackberry?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Outlook Web Access and BB?

Not when I tried. However if your email is from your company you can have the MS exchange admin forward a copy your emails to your BIS email account. Many person use this solution works great

When you reply though it will be from the blackberry account correct? I have been searching all weekend for a resolution other than BES. I huess I could set up the user accounts as POP3 or IMAP and then I believe they can access them that way. I could have the server leave the message on the server that way they will still have a copy in the outlook when they open it.

Here is another option I just thought of. Could I have a terminal server session running for each person and run the desktop redirector software that comes with each Blackberry? At most I would have 5 sessions. More than likely I would have 3 running. Does this sound feasible?

PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    When you reply though it will be from the blackberry account correct? I have been searching all weekend for a resolution other than BES. I huess I could set up the user accounts as POP3 or IMAP and then I believe they can access them that way. I could have the server leave the message on the server that way they will still have a copy in the outlook when they open it.
    No you just have to login to your BIS account click "Profile" then

Sent From Address
    Change the Sent From Address that appears in the From field of messages you send.

Select "I want to customize my 'Sent From Address' to be the email address entered below."

and enter your OWA accont there. such as user.name@company.com or username@company.com

You may also want to click "Manage folders" and set Inbox Auto Age to 7 days or less if you receive lots of emails.

I've set up at least a dozen non BES exchange email users this way.

GL!

PIN/ID
    ask

just make sure your MS exchange admin does not set to remove emails from the server after forwarding to your BB.

Excellent. Thank you very much. Now I just need the rep to bring in a demo so I can actually check it out.

Do you have a recommendation on the methods I have consdiered for getting the mail to the blackberry?

1. Forward all emails
    2. Install redirector on each workstation
    3. Run redirector on seperate terminal service sessions
    4. Add email formating of POP3 or IMAP to each user leaving copy of mail on server

I am the admin for everything for the whole company. I am the entire IT department. I support about 50 to 75 users on our network. So any changes that need to be done I will have to make them.

I appreciate the assistance.

PIN/ID
    ask

Good stuff! Its great you a looking for alternative to keep using BB for their main purpose. Hmmm ultimately with that many users you'll want to upgrade to BES. You can use the trial for 30days and impress Management with it's sync feature with Outlook beyond just email and email them about the increased security.

For now I'd setup the email forward from MS exchange and set the sent from address. You may want to set everyones auto age to 1 day as you don't want them to bug you that their BIS box is full every week or month haha.

Redirector is an excelent option but require the PC to be always on and im not sure if all your 50 BB users do that? Depends on what your experience is with them.

The advantage of the MS exchange forwarding is that you can manage all the 50 users from your server. If you manage their BIS then that even more central.

Hope that helps a bit.

HAHA no I will only be supporting 5 BB users probably. I have to support about 75 cpu users.
    Now re-evaluate you recommendation knowing that info. I have terminal service logins setup for 3 of the would be users so that they can remote desktop in to the terminal server with their corp logins and work as if they were at the office. Right now the only thing really running on that server is a new database that will be used by 1 person from each of our 24 warehouses. There is only 1 user on it right now so I figured that running 3 sessions on it for the redirector could work for the time being. But the forwarding of the mail would probably be easier.