I have been charged with the task of rolling out over 60 Blackberry 7100i phones ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

cchriston no está en línea Stack level 1

Post Large 7100i Rollout

Advertisement

I have been charged with the task of rolling out over 60 Blackberry 7100i phones that need very limited/restricted settings. They are functioning basically an overblown GPS unit. I need to find a way to setup one blackberry with all of the settings and then copy them over to the other lot of phones.

FYI...These phones have to be restricted from phone service and direct connect service, as well as hiding all of the icons except for the power, options, radio on/off, and the custom application. Also they have to be upgraded to the latest BB OS before they are rolled out. So far this process takes around 40 minutes to complete per phone. Any help in finding an app that would copy the configs (minus ESID/Radio numbers) would be a HUGE help.

I find it hard to believe that there is no way to copy this information in an easy and efficient manner. I can't be the only one sending out a large lot of phones at once...PLEASE HELP...lol
    Last edited by cchriston; 03-01-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Spelling...

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: LArge 7100i Rollout

Yeah...The official RIM solution is to create a theme, upgrade all OS's individually, load all apps and themes in the first sync, hide all but the app icons that I want shown, activate the new theme, and reboot. The process takes about 30 mins each now, but I guess that saving the extra 10 mins each is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I can't believe that they have no clone app that will load a config profile, but BB assures me that it can not be done in a suported fashion. Kinda makes me wonder how many companies use this smartphone for larger rolleouts.

BTW, I am also looking for a way to mount these particular phones in the trucks for the drivers. I have found this... http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...&p_leftorright=
    but the clip is $25.00 and the vehicle mount is another $25.00 and I have to hardmount each unit in around 60 big trucks...Any more cost-effective ideas?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

How did this rollout go for you?

If you're still in the midst of it, I have a couple of things I can suggest.
    For loading the software on the BB, until and unless RIM deigns to add a "Select All" button in the app loader, you'll be hitting the down arrow and space bar a lot. However, you can run as many instances of the loader as you want, so you can simultaneously load as many devices as you have USB connections for.

Many rollouts ago (957's), I had 3 PC's setup with add on serial port cards installed so we could charge and load as many devices as possible. Back then it was only around 300 or so. As we moved to USB based devices, the serial ports went away, but we just used the USB ports to load devices. Now I think I can do about 8 or 9 on my PC at once.

Regarding the customizations you want to do, you should be able to implement most if not all of that with a mandatory policy from a BES server. No idea how you'd lock those settings down without a BES though.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.