Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've had my 7100i for two weeks now and I've got a running list of ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

Roveer no está en línea Stack level 2

Just me or did 7100i miss the nextel mark?

Advertisement

I've had my 7100i for two weeks now and I've got a running list of 5 or 6 items that I had on my nextel phone OS's that I can't achieve on the blackberry. Let's use this thread to list all of the things we have found missing on the blackberry that we had on nextel that really diminish to usefullness. Maybe we can get RIM (or nextel) to get them added as options in a future software release. After all, it's just software. They can do anything they want.

Here's a few for starters

1. After DC conversation the blackberry returns to the menu way to fast and I find I have to hit the red phone to go to my last contacts just to get back to the person I was having a conversation with.

Fix: match Nextel's timing setting exactly (I think It's 7 seconds, blackberry seems like 3 or 4)

2. Voicemail notifications will give audible notification only 1 time and then silence. Nextel will give notifications for several minutes after a voicemail.

Fix: Make it an option to re-notify every x seconds (its software, it can do it, just takes a few lines of code)

3. Give us an option to turn off the green LED that's bright enough to use as a flashlight. I awoke the other night to see this thing light up the wall next to my night table. It's just a bit brash.

Fix: Make it an option (again, it's software)

4. Here's one that really annoys me. Give me a PTT button so I can Bluetooth the thing in my car stereo, put the phone in a cradle (even if I can't have antenna, charge, microphone like my motorola hard install kits) and let me key the PTT with a button like I do with my motorola kit.

Fix: The headphone jack accepts a PTT headset so it's designed to give access to a PTT feature, just change the software (yes, again, say it with me, MAKE IT AN OPTION), to allow a button to be plugged into the jack and not pipe all audio exclusively to the headphone jack, instead allow bluetooth to continue working. This would raise the usability factor about 10 fold for me. I spend 4+ hours per day in the car and have dozens of direct connect sessions while driving. Having to hold the phone, trying not to hit the scroll wheel or back button while driving is quite distracting.

Feel free to add your favorite (they just rushed it out the door) peeve here and I'll see that they get to Nextel or RIM whoever is responsible for 7100i development.

Regards,

Roveer

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Just me or did 7100i miss the nextel mark?

Roveer, I can only try to help you with #3. On most BBs it is an option, Go to Options - Screen/Keyboard and set the LED Coverage Indicator to OFF. That will turn the Green LED off, but the Red will still work.

Hope this helps a little
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Rcbjr:

Yes Very helpful. Thanks so much. Still hoping some of my peeves are just unfound options. Pinstack is the place to be when getting used to a a new blackberry!!!

Roveer

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I have nexthell and I can't stand em!!!! I think they should just go outta business

Well, it aint what is used to be. Service is getting worse and worse all the time. There are only a few good phones. The blackberry integration is leaving me less than impressed. And every other cell provider has much sexier phones and features than nextel. BUT... I gotta have the direct connect. We've got 18 phones in our company and I speak with probably 100 others that do work for us.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I can't wait to get rid of Nexthell due to the slowness of upgrading the phones to hispeed rather than modem speed... get with the times!!!!!

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

It sounds like what you really want is a Moto iDEN device.

Why not switch back?

What made you want a BlackBerry anyway?

Everyone at my company told me that BB's are lousy phones but great for email. In fact, most of the CxO's or upper-management I ever met had a BB for email and a Moto or Nokia for a phone.

Not until the arrival of the 71xx and the 87xx models have I heard anything good about the voice communications of any BB.

....and I work for the company which owns the Wireless company!!!

You make several very valid points. I'm mulling switching back but my main reason for moving to a blackberry type device was to eventually achieve synchronized e-mail & calender. The blackberry is very good for this, whether it be sync'ng with outlook via BES or possibly even the freeware utility that would sync with a gmail calender. What is dissapointing me is the blackberry's ability to provide nextel iden like capabilities. I'm not a convienence user, I'm a hardcore user who uses direct connect all day long but needs to create a business platform of e-mail and calender. If Rim/Nextel would just properly emulate the nextel OS I'd be very happy. And of course my ability to use a direct connect button without having to reach across the console of my car to hit the button on the phone in the cradle. Oh, mount the phone where you can reach the button, and give up your signal level. What part of this doesn't RIM understand. Moto hard install kit gives battery charge, microphone, external antenna and PTT button. Now that's usable.

Trying to live in both worlds, but if blackberry won't advance their OS beyond midi ringtones and themes to provide usable features in their software then it looks like I will go back to iden.

Even my nextel rep tried to get me to keep my i830 and take a blackberry. Two devices on my belt. Yeah right. I had a business partner that wore two phones. He actually had ear pieces in each ear one on each phone. totally rediculous. I don't need to IM my buddies, I need to have workable hands free options like the moto hard install kits. What part of this does RIM not understand. Then again, visit any mall kiosk and all you'll see is purple flashing batteries and groovy ringtones. No thanks, not for me.

Oh, the "classic phone" ringtone gets me lots of laughs on the jobsite too. Fabulous RIM just fabulous...

I have to say I'm getting used to the phone, but then again, one small incident on a labor day thrill ride and my flimsy 7100i case looks like it's 3 years old. Why did the 7100i have to get the cheeziest case ever made for a phone? Another annoying feature.

I worked in the hard/ware software industry for 15 years and I can tell you that this phone was rushed to market without a great deal of thought given to it's intended purpose. Make it and they'll buy it. I'd love to get in a room with these guys

Ah just venting. One final thing. What's with this flimsy belt clip. Phone has popped out 5 times already. RIM's eyes are most certinly NOT on the ball here. Absolutly no QC on this product.

But, the e-mail is great.
    Last edited by Roveer; 09-07-2006 at 12:22 AM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I am on T-Mobile but the problems I had were a horrible speakerphone and the quietness of the phone without a headset. I was out with some friends a year ago and had my 7100t with me and my mom called me. Even with the windows rolled up, radio off, everything down, and phone volume MAXED, I could barely hear what she was saying. I tried to use the speaker phone on my 7100t and had to keep asking the person I was talking to, to repeat what was said.

This is why I am searching for a cheap phone for voice calls.

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

And people think I'm deaf!

I totally agree with you Erica! But there is hope!

The 7130 at 50% volume is the 7100 at 100% volume. And the speakerphone is much louder too!

Also after I switched, I stopped getting complaints from people about the echo/sound quality of my voice.

But if I know I'm going to be on the phone for a long call, I put my SIM into my old Moto V60, the BEST voice quality on any phone I've ever used!!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

WOW I wonder how the 8100 will be for voice calls then if the 7130 is that loud LOL

What I forgot to mention in that post is that I left the house without the headset that came with the phone

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

For number 1, you can do a couple things. There is an option to set the PTT button to chirp your last contact, no matter how long after the last transmission, can be a problem though if you hit it on accident. Or go to the phone screen, by hitting the green button, then after the connection ends (a couple seconds) hitting the ptt will still work. I seem to remember there may be an option in the Phone -> Options -> PTT - where you can set it to return to phone screen. Maybe not though.

For number 2, go to you profiles and you can set voicemail to notify 3 times. I believe the default is only once. This will go off for longer. It's not eternal like the Moto's, but it's better.

Number 3 was addressed. The coverage indicator can be turned off. Via the Phone options menu.

And number 4, can't help with.

And just to echo what was said before, I think the 7100i has a very small market which it can please. People that absolutely NEED email and Nextel PTT. It's hard to match the motos for PTT and phone, they've been doing it for Nextel longer than RIM.

jtreeves no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    400EEC71

Thumbs up Re: Just me or did 7100i miss the nextel mark?

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Roveer, I can only try to help you with #3. On most BBs it is an option, Go to Options - Screen/Keyboard and set the LED Coverage Indicator to OFF. That will turn the Green LED off, but the Red will still work.

Hope this helps a little
    Rcbjr.
    Thanks for this! I didn't know what the option description meant. Now I don't have to cover my device at night to keep it from interrupting my sleep.

JR

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that felt the green service light was superbright. Turn it off and you'll have endless slumber!!!

Roveer

PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

The service light on ANY wireless device is a mini-billboard.

Walk through any public place with some techno-gear strapped to your person with a flashing LED, and other people will probably look.

Look at that! ....Moto.....Nokia......BlackBerry......MacBook... ..

Those service lights are completely useless.

And they don't really do much to drain the battery. A LED flashing off a battery will likely for for thousands of hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast