I have been trying to install 4.1 software on my 7100x (o2 UK) and am ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

Johnny - UK no está en línea Stack level 1

HELP? 7100x

Advertisement

I have been trying to install 4.1 software on my 7100x (o2 UK) and am in a real mess.

I followed the instructions on posted on the threads on this forum, and all appeared to be fine, until right at the end I got the message:

"Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation.

Application data could not be restored to the device. The backup data file has been saved to "C:\Documents and Settings\John\My Documents\LoaderBackup-(2006-04-24).ipd". You can use the Desktop Manager Backup/Restore tool to restore this information."

I tried this backup, and now all I get is an hourglass as soon as the device is powered up.

I have tried removing battery and SIM for more than 1 minute, but as soon as I put them back in, the hourglass appears again, I do not even switch the handheld on, it just appears in the middle of the screen rotating.

I am scared I have really messed it up.

Can anyone help me? Even to get back to my old OS?

I hope to hear from you.

Many thanks
    [
    John.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: HELP? 7100x

Here is what pentace had me do and it worked like a charm.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...76&postcount=7

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

By the way, I have a knack for screwing things up, seriously...But I have learned that it's pretty hard to permenatly screw up one of these devices, which I am ever so thankful for.

I have just doneas you suggest on the linked thread from pentace, and it tells me that upadate was successful, the handheld now shows the hourglass again.

Should I leave it - is it finishing off ? Or has it failed ?

Appreciate any help.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

How long has it been stuck on the hourglass? It took mine about 5 minutes before it booted back up.

One problem that I was having was I was forgetting to put the batter back in after it had started reloading the operating system, so when it went to find the device again after it started, it wasn't recognizing it was there (The exact same message that you recieved).

I was patient, and it has now booted, but has no theme, and all of the text is a mish mash of black and white text, Ihave read about this on other threads.

Did you have this trouble also?

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Nope, but apparently it didn't install your default theme.

Gimme a minute and I will try to find the thread on when I did this to my 7105..

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

pentace no está en línea Stack level 3

yeah i have had that problem before when i tried installing themes via alx files on my 7290.. they never installed right....

One suggestion is you are running the initial apploader with added themes.. deselect the added themes then reinstall the software that will usually fix it.

I have tried every way of breaking my 7290 by using apploader and java loader and I have always been able to succesfully reinstall the software.. haah took a long time but is very do able.

If you are going to install themes on a non 87XX series I personally would not suggest using *.alx files rather the ota *.jad files or hacking the Blackberry.alx file example>>>>>

<!-- Cingular US filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="8700" _vendorID="102">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_102_320x240.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Reduced" ThemeSupport="Enhanced" Java="1.0" _vendorID="102">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_102_240x260.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

that controls what themes are put on a cingular phone
    now if you wanted those themes put on a T-Mobile phone you would change the vendor code.. for instance tmobiles vendor code is 100

<!-- Cingular US filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Qwerty" Java="1.0" series="8700" _vendorID="100">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_102_320x240.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <fileset Colour="True" KeyboardType="Reduced" ThemeSupport="Enhanced" Java="1.0" _vendorID="100">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_102_240x260.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    and just keep going threw allt he vendors in the list and changing it to your code.

now since you are using a 71XX series you would not choose the 8700

8700 is only for 8700
    qwerty is only for the 72xx seties
    reduced is for the 71xx series

so go threw all the vendors and change the "reduced size" vendor codes to your vendor.
    Welcome to my World!

Hi all, thanks for your help so far.

I have made some progress, I seem to have it workin again to a fashion, and have managed to restore most of my settings, address book etc.

BUT only a coupleof the themes will work, I used to have the o2 list theme which came as standard, that will not work now.

I can only get the default themes to work, and one of the vodafone themes. This is a bit annoying as this was the reason I started on this upgrade - so I could download new themes.

MORE CONCERNING: Is that I no longer appear to have a browser for internet access.

Any ideas anybody?

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Yes...First off to get your broswer back, reregister with the network which can be found here...
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...39&postcount=3

2nd, make sure that the themes you have downloaded have had their permissions set to ALLOW on all 3 options, which can be found here...
    (Hold on, lost that link...trying to find it again)

Do a hard reset and you should be ready to roll!

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Ok, Actually I have lost it, so here it goes again:

Go to options>advanced options>applications...
    scroll down to the themes you have installed. It will usually be named the theme or will look something like plasmic_com....usually with a date format such as 03.08.XXXX.
    Click ur track wheel.
    Go to Edit Permissions.
    Make sure they all say "ALLOW".
    If they don't change them...
    Save your changes...
    reboot your BB by taking the battery out for 3 seconds...
    When you reboot, go to themes and they should now be there.

thanks for your help, before I saw your last 2 messages I tried removing battery and sim for a few mins, and when I put them back in the device powered up immediately without switching on, and has the hourglass spinning in the middle of the screen, its still doing it (about 20 mins now).

Help!

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Ok...gimme a few minutes. Don't worry...We'll get it working...Do you have AOL instant messenger by chance?

sorry no, I dont use any messenger software, only email

johnwatman@lineone.net

appreciate this help