I have been using an 8700c for 9 months. This week I bought a 7130c ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

That70sdawg no está en línea Stack level 2

Don't be Jealous of the Pearl

Advertisement

I have been using an 8700c for 9 months. This week I bought a 7130c AND a 8100 T-Mobile Pearl to do a comparison...
    I unlocked the Pearl. It worked on Cingular! The Pearl is sexy, has a camera, and MP3 player with a micro SD. It's nice...
    BUT: it's too small. RIM has reached the limits- and passed them on a useable size unit for anyone with Med.- Large hands. The keys are the same size (though curved) as the 7130, BUT- they are jammed together making it very hard to type. The screen is smaller than the 7130, same resolution - but smaller. For over 40 eyes - the font is too small. If you increase the font size- not much text shows on the screen. It's ringer and phone handset volume is back to 7200 (weak) levels. I need it loud sometimes. I'll never hear it in the car with my music levels. I also got some of the software reported java error screens. I've got an Ipod for Music, the camera is 1.3 megapicsel - lame.

So, the 7130 wins!!! Same EDGE web speed, larger screen, but smaller and lighter than the calculator like 8700. I love BB, but was never fond of holding the 8700 in it's Sena case with the flap dangling to my face. The 7130c "fits" my hand. The "Today" theme is there. AND the type is larger!

The 7130c ROCKS, and is my baby from now on.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Don't be Jealous of the Pearl

Wow nice review. I was considering getting a 7130 before the 8100 came out but I don't know if I can use suretype anymore. I am bad enough on qwerty

I find the sure type better than the qwerty on my 8700. The sure type reduces my typos (because the 2 letter keys are bigger than the single letter keys). The trick is to not look at the screen- Just type away, and you are pleasantly surprised 90% of the time by the accuracy. The size difference between the 8700 and 7130c doesn't look like much in pictures, but in the hand- it's a big difference.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Thanks for the great review of the pearl.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Quote Originally Posted by That70sdawg
    I find the sure type better than the qwerty on my 8700. The sure type reduces my typos (because the 2 letter keys are bigger than the single letter keys). The trick is to not look at the screen- Just type away, and you are pleasantly surprised 90% of the time by the accuracy. The size difference between the 8700 and 7130c doesn't look like much in pictures, but in the hand- it's a big difference.
    Well I wouldn't mind trying it out. Do you want to send me your Pearl BTW what did you do with it? Return it back or is it for sale?

It is possibly for sale. I paid $350.00 (no contract price - since I'm on Cingular), and $55 to get it Unlocked. PM me is seriously interested. I might put it on Ebay next week- or keep it as a "spare".
    This thread wasn't meant to advertise- just my introduction to the 7100 Forum.

chameleon no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3011E91C

Thanks for reassuring thoughts on 7130. I got one couple of weeks ago with Verizon, and was thinking I had made a mistake after reading about the Pearl, which evidently will not be a Verizon option. Ilike the size of the 7130, I like suretype, and don't care about a camera. (Do wish it had voice actuated dialing though.) Maybe I don't have Pearl Envy after all!

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I like the pearl since its so cool looking, but not a fan of the size. The thickness of the pearl is perfect but I have normal size hands and fingers and find even the 7130 a little on the small size for typing so don't know how I'd like the pearl.

Is the size inconvenience worth the price and extra features? Only if I could get an unlocked one for $200 or less to use with Cingular...but otherwise not worth it to pay a cancellation penalty as well as losing almost 2000 rollover minutes to switch to tmo or buying unlocked pearls at the current prices.