Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello everyone, I need to disassemble my 7100t to dry it out. To my embarassment ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

ghparkki no está en línea Stack level 1

Disassembling 7100t

Advertisement

Hello everyone,

I need to disassemble my 7100t to dry it out. To my embarassment it fell into a (clean) toilet for a split second before I grabbed it back out. The case was on it, so it never even had a chance to submerge, but it is still not working as it should. It powers up, but there are faint "3d blotches" (they appear to exist an inch below the screen) on the lcd, and the earpiece stutters when I check voice mail.

Following advice I checked on elsewhere in this forum I let it thoroughly dry out a few feet above a radiator, but I know it should be disassembled to make sure all of the parts are dry. I have removed the two screws I could find towards the bottom half of the phone in the back, but it is not pulling apart past the usb port, and I cannot find any more screws.
    What should I do next?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

vyperz no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    240F667B

Re: Disassembling 7100t

Welcome to pinstack.com ghparkki!~
    vipz o';'o

Pinstack.com ~ where Blackberry Professionals Connect!
    Get your Pinstack Gear here!~

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

You need to remove the silver plastic strip on back to expose the other 2 screws. I suggest using a hair dryer to warm it up then peel it off. There are tabs on the side that you have to push in a little bit. I have instructions and if you'd like I can email them to you. PIN or PM me. For everyone else, I will work on getting the instructions together so I can post them in a "HOW TO.." thread.

Wow thanks for the welcome and the help!

I'm cautious, because removing that strip smells like "warranty voided", but I guess after the little sticker turned red that ship sailed, huh?

As far as an update, this just happened yesterday afternoon, so maybe it just hasn't had enough time to dry. The facts that I got the battery out seconds after it fell, and that I can make calls on it gives me great hope. Most of the splotching has faded (just a little bit in the dead center now), but the reciever speaker and earpiece stutters rhythmically (like someone tapping a mute button twice a second).

Should I still take it apart (which I'm nervous about), or give it more drying time and hope that takes care of it? Am I risking damage by not disassembling it ASAP?

Thank you all again for your helpful replies!

Sit tight I am working on the 'how to' as we speak. Also don't worry, that doesn't void the warranty. There is no indicator there. It just seems to be held by glue that's why I say heat it up to loosen the glue. It will re-attach and dry back like normal.

PIN/ID
    240F667B

Howdy ghparkki,

I had one user try to open his 7100t too, I couldn't figure out why he would do this. There was nicks and scratches on the side of his device. Whatever he was trying to do, he couldn't get it open. And I've had two users drop their crackberry in the toilet too. I wonder why we're called crackberries? LOL

Anyways, moving on to your case. I was going to suggest using a screw driver to remove the plastic, but I'm not sure if this will work. If not, then try using a blow dryer, set it on low. Take out the battery and set the 7100t screen down on a table, then direct the blow dryer on the device for half an hour or more.

Then insert the battery back and turn it on, see what happens. Hope this helps. Please keep us posted, thanks.
    vipz o';'o

PIN/ID
    240F667B

Right on dasupaman23!~
    vipz o';'o

Hopefully this GUIDE will help. The dissasembly instructions should be the same for all 7100 series BB's. Note that the housing chage only works for 7100g and 7100x models.

Also anytime your BB and water mix, remember to take the battery out as soon as you can. Let it dry for at least a few hours, using a blowdryer on low does help. If you have the tools, take it apart to speed up drying. And please make sure it is all they way dried out before trying to turn it back on.

pbbjr no está en línea Stack level 2

I don't think you need to disassemble it. I had a similar experience. I took the battery out and left it disassembled for a day. Then I got a hair dryer and blew it through the battery compartment and the keyboard. Everything is now back to normal.

Well, I have been letting it dry for about a day and a half, and 5 hours of that was placed on a makeshift shelf about 10 inches above a radiator in my office. All is running fine (keys and functions, ect.) except the small light blotch in the middle of the LCD and that stuttering (which renders using it as a phone impossible at this point). Maybe it'll be better tomorrow.

Thank you for the great guide, dasupaman23, but I have one major problem...I have no plastic strip in back. If I had a camera with me I would show you what I mean, but basically there is just a dark piece, shaped like a T, that goes over the speaker, and then extends all the way across the top. It doesn't look like that guy will just pry off with heating (though I will try). I know for sure that my phone is a 7100t (from T-Mobile) but it looks like it has that one design difference from the one in your guide. Any other suggestions?

I'll try to post pics tomorrow if it hasn't started working yet. Gonna blast it with the hair dryer tonight per pbbjr's instructions.

Ah, found a pic. Here is what I have:

Hotbox no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20369f04

Ouch! Hope everything turns out okay.
    Just out of morbid curiosity, why was this being disassembled near/above a toilet? Wait....I don't think I really want to know.

LOL, it wasn't being disassembled near a toilet, I just thought that I needed to disassemble it to dry it out.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by ghparkki
    To my embarassment it fell into a (clean) toilet
    Haha.. i like that part

Glad you are making progress...

Okay, an update:

The screen is now completely back to normal. The only problem that I now have is that stuttering problem that happens when I make a call. The weird thing is, this doesn't consistently happen (though it seems to be a little more common when I place the call). Sometimes it stutters, and othertimes it doesn't. It also seems to be inconsistent in keeping a bluetooth connection. One call I was on bluetooth, and it suddenly switched back to the handset in the middle of the call. Even weirder, sometimes it wigs out and flips back and forth between bluetooth and handset at the rate of the stuttering noise.

I have done the hairdryer thing, held it over my heating vent during my commute, and did the radiator thing in my office. The only thing I lack is that I still cant get the dumb thing open to try to dry it completely. :Mad: As I posted earlier, my phone seems to be designed slightly different from the one in dasupaman23's otherwise excellent guide, preventing me from getting beyond step one.

So, what next? Does anyone have a tip on how I can get to those top two screws? Will my phone get worse if I don't? Or, do you think that "time will heal all wounds"?

You have all been really helpful, thanks again for your responses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast