Hi, I recently got an unlocked bb 7100x from UK (4.0.0185). I am using it ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

pratz no está en línea Stack level 1

Data connection refused in 7100x

Advertisement

Hi, I recently got an unlocked bb 7100x from UK (4.0.0185). I am using it in India (with idea cellular). The bb works fine as a phone, but I am not able to make it work with GPRS.

a. I have a data plan from the mobile service provider but it is not a BB plan, nor do they support any BB plans

b. I spoke to the customer care of the service provider, and they say they do not have specific setting for blackberry and cannot help beyond giving me the generic APN and IP no etc. I tried all that but still I get "data connection refused". I have put opera mini on bb as well, but that does not work either.

My question is :-

1. Is it possible to have GPRS activated from a mobile service provider that has nothing to do with BB data plan? I mean can they push the service book, HRT etc ?

2. Does any one know of any software hacks that can make BB data configuration change and make it open to any data plans and networks?

3. Does upgrading the handheld O.S to the latest help?

I love the phone for its organizing and address features and some GPRS will obviously help me a lot.
    thanx
    pratz

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: Data connection refused in 7100x

Hi pratz, welcome to the stacks. Unfortunately if your carrier does not support BB then you will not be able to use the data feature nor will you be able to get your service books for email and such. You can turn the data connection off in options, network to get rid of the data connection refused. As far as a hack to give some internet capabilities the only thing i could suggest is get opera mini and hope you can enter the apn and such to make it work but that will be a big stretch if you do not have a BB data plan.

pratz no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Data connection refused in 7100x

thanks eddie_gauge,
    that was quick. well, i already did load Opera Mini, but it also does not work as well. Is it not unfortunate that such a good device be actually so restrictive in use ?

In any case I plan to keep the phone, because as a phone it also seems to be pretty good. i could also change my service provider (to ones that have a bb plan), but I do not wish to change my number at this stage. In any case thanks!
    pratz