Hello! Just got my new 7105t today and everything is working great! The only thing ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

teutonic9 no está en línea Stack level 1

Can GPRS be disabled?

Advertisement

Hello! Just got my new 7105t today and everything is working great!

The only thing is that I constantly get the "Data connection refused" error message and the "gprs" designation when I power on -- which I'm assuming is because I don't have the data plan enabled on my T-Mobile service. Since I don't plan on using GPRS anytime soon, is there anyway to "disable" this so that the BB sticks to just GSM/network and doesn't try to connect to GPRS every time (thus avoiding the above errors)?

Thanks!

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Can GPRS be disabled?

~~~Posted via SUPA Blackberry @ wap.pinstack.com~~~
    There is nothing you can do about that. It just tells you that message everytime because it is programed to find a data service. (I think)
    I say just get used to it and it won't be so noticable

andrebsd no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F09FB

Nope, can't do anything about it like dasupaman23 said...

Though I'd seriously look into getting a data plan for it; T-Mobile is "dirt cheap" compared to others, $19.99 for unlimited data added to voice. Other companys are like $49.99 for unlimited. I absolutely love being able to access whatever I want, wherever I am. If I'm bored sitting around I can login and do my classwork, saves me tons of time. I had a hard time justifying the price initialy; it comes to $67 a month with my voice, since I'm still on the older promo plan (1,000 min, free night, weekend, long distance, roaming and whatever else for $39.99) but it's well worth it.

Being able to check traffic right before I leave anywhere is fabulous; and if I got an external device for just that; its around $10 a month. Add all the time I save because of doing classwork virtualy anywhere, and the cost doesn't matter to me anymore. Being able to leave the laptop at home makes it all worth while, lol. Type the papers, email them to myself and print it off.

But yeah, im going to quit blabbering on about this; I do relize some people simply would never use GPRS. So either way you go is fine; but yeah... can't help you get rid of the error message though.
    PIN: 240F09FB - Feel free to msg anytime.

teutonic9 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for the info! Guess I'll have to to get used to it...

I definitely agree on the merits of GPRS as well -- I actually had a Treo 600 with GPRS/internet enabled before the 7105t (in fact, the Blackberry is an insurance replacement, since I lost my Treo in Singapore somewhere :Mad: ).

As a result, I wouldn't mind having GPRS, but my company just got us wireless broadband internet cards for our laptops instead, so since this phone is used for work, no more data plan allowed. Plus, as part of the new company policy, I'll probably have to switch to Verizon or Sprint in a few months anyway...

themadeguy no está en línea Stack level 1

you can disable it, by going into options then network and you'll see a setting that says data service, just turn if off and you done.

Chilly.