I actually have a 7290, but I didn't see a topic including this. I bought ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

dlanca1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry: more trouble than worth?

Advertisement

I actually have a 7290, but I didn't see a topic including this.
    I bought this from a friend. Naturally I wanted to wipe the phone, and I did. However, the hourglass never stopped, so I pulled the battery and replaced it. Now I am stuck with a flashing red LED and rotating hourglass on a blank screen.
    What I have done thus far (I followed EVERY step and EVERY detail, but no results):
    1) N8DBB's How To: ReInstall OS When Computer Won't Recognize The Device Is Connected -Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation.
    2) Lavagirl's How To: Use JL_Cmder to Wipe A BlackBerry -When the JL_Cmder window is red and trying to wipe, it just sits at the connecting screen.
    3) Hayden's steps of Using JL_Cmder to restore OS when DTM and JL Cmder won't detect device -Stuck at reconnecting to JVM

If I could just get the hourglass to stop and an error message to occur (such as jvm error 102) then I know I can get to error 507, and from there reload an OS.
    When I first received the BB, my desktop manager was able to add/remove apps. So I know I have the right desktop program. And I know I downloaded the right OS from the Cingular provider.
    Is there anything else I can do?

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    It could take as long as an hour for the device to boot up after installing an OS. What I would suggest is just turning it on and walking away. I am pretty sure we can get it back up and going.

kehlerpa no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2405161F
    If your due for an upgrade I would suggest updating your model of bb.
    You will be much happier with the newer models, os's and functions.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    Seriously, unless just MUST have the scroll wheel, why would anyone want to use a 7290 in this day and age? That's like stepping back in time what, at least 5 years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by dgburns View Post
    Seriously, unless just MUST have the scroll wheel, why would anyone want to use a 7290 in this day and age? That's like stepping back in time what, at least 5 years or more.
    Depends on what you use a BlackBerry for. In the areas of Phone/Data/Pim, the 7290 is equal or superior to the more modern Berrys (because of speed and simplicity). In the multi-media world, it's a dinosaur, but mainly because it was never intended to use multimedia at all. 7290 is a great wireless handheld if you know what its purpose is.

Quote Originally Posted by dlanca1 View Post
    I actually have a 7290, but I didn't see a topic including this.
    I bought this from a friend. Naturally I wanted to wipe the phone, and I did. However, the hourglass never stopped, so I pulled the battery and replaced it. Now I am stuck with a flashing red LED and rotating hourglass on a blank screen.
    What I have done thus far (I followed EVERY step and EVERY detail, but no results):
    1) N8DBB's How To: ReInstall OS When Computer Won't Recognize The Device Is Connected -Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation.
    2) Lavagirl's How To: Use JL_Cmder to Wipe A BlackBerry -When the JL_Cmder window is red and trying to wipe, it just sits at the connecting screen.
    3) Hayden's steps of Using JL_Cmder to restore OS when DTM and JL Cmder won't detect device -Stuck at reconnecting to JVM

If I could just get the hourglass to stop and an error message to occur (such as jvm error 102) then I know I can get to error 507, and from there reload an OS.
    When I first received the BB, my desktop manager was able to add/remove apps. So I know I have the right desktop program. And I know I downloaded the right OS from the Cingular provider.
    Is there anything else I can do?
    I would suggest buying a new 7290, if that's the model you're interested in. A great condition 7290 gsm can be had for around $30 on Ebay (I buy and sell there all the time, and as a matter of fact I've purchased three 7290s in the last couple of weeks - -) and methinks the $30 is worth avoiding the stress of getting your old one operating.

7290s went for $60+ for a long time, but now with the proliferation of the newest BB models, the price on older Berrys has dropped - -