Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alright, sorry to be posting a subject that seems to be pretty well covered, but ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

keola no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile bb 7130a, cingular, questions about mms and sms

Advertisement

Alright, sorry to be posting a subject that seems to be pretty well covered, but i'm pretty confused, i just got this blackberry yesterday so bear with me...

I now have a blackberry data plan, the internet and my personal e-mail is working fine... However, when i try to send a normal sms, my bb claims good delivery, allthough the text goes no where. I tested this by sending a text to myself.

Now, I've read some posts about using MMS, but when I try to send an MMS to myself, I get a big red X next to the sent message, which I assume means failure. I've also tried sending myself an mms via e-mail, like mynumber@teleflip.com, but when I get the line where you can input an e-mail address, my BB won't even let me type in numbers (letters come up and a drop down box tries to match the letters to an address book entry).

Lastly, I've tried sending myself an e-mail from outlook to mynumber@teleflip.com, and this didn't work either. I've tried rebooting, and removing and replacing the battery.

So, I'd really like to know, if i can text (sms) like i could on any other phone, and if not, why not, and what is a workaround.. i'd also like to know how i'm supposed to be inputing numbers when the textbox is only allowing letters. thanks a lot.

Re: bb 7130a, cingular, questions about mms and sms

A little update, when I tried to e-mail mynumber@teleflip.com from outlook, this is the rejection message:

xxxxxxxxxx@cingularme.com
    550 <xxxxxxxxxx@cingularme.com> has restricted SMS e-mail

thoughts? ideas?
    Last edited by keola; 01-24-2007 at 07:04 PM.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by keola
    Alright, sorry to be posting a subject that seems to be pretty well covered, but i'm pretty confused, i just got this blackberry yesterday so bear with me...

I now have a blackberry data plan, the internet and my personal e-mail is working fine... However, when i try to send a normal sms, my bb claims good delivery, allthough the text goes no where. I tested this by sending a text to myself.

Now, I've read some posts about using MMS, but when I try to send an MMS to myself, I get a big red X next to the sent message, which I assume means failure. I've also tried sending myself an mms via e-mail, like mynumber@teleflip.com, but when I get the line where you can input an e-mail address, my BB won't even let me type in numbers (letters come up and a drop down box tries to match the letters to an address book entry).

Lastly, I've tried sending myself an e-mail from outlook to mynumber@teleflip.com, and this didn't work either. I've tried rebooting, and removing and replacing the battery.

So, I'd really like to know, if i can text (sms) like i could on any other phone, and if not, why not, and what is a workaround.. i'd also like to know how i'm supposed to be inputing numbers when the textbox is only allowing letters. thanks a lot.
    Greetings Keola, and Welcome to the Forum

First a couple of questions so I can help,

You stated you have a 7130a, I'm thinking you meant 7130c as that's the Cingular version of the 7130 series. Do you have a "c" model?

Did you buy it new from Cingular?

Yes, you can certainly send a regular (SMS) text message just as you would and a regular cell phone. Same goes for MMS

Regarding teleflip, That service (at least in my experience) does not work well, with the BB.

If you want to enter numbers in a text box, just hold down the alt key, in the lower left corner of the keyboard and push the number keys.

I will watch for you response and then answer your other questions

Cheers....

Hey Archer,

Thanks for your response. You're right, of course, it is a 7130c... and yeah, i thought it might be teleflip screwing up, so i also sent a test message to
    mynumber@cingularme.com and got the same rejection:

host atlsmtp.cingularme.net[66.102.165.114] said:
    550 <xxxxxxxxx@cingularme.com> has restricted SMS e-mail (in reply to end

I'm not sure what's going on. On my old phone, i could text just fine. All i've done is added a blackberry data plan to my account, so i assume i still have text messaging service with cingular.

I did not buy this phone new from cingular. A friend of mine works for cingular and sold it to me straight up, still in the box. There is another quirk with it, the fact that there was only the cingular browser on it, not the blackberry browser... does that have anything to do with my problems?

Also, using your advice, I was able to (try, anyways) send myself an MMS via mynumber@cingularme.com and just to my phone number. Both of these failed.

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired

how about when you use SMS, just use the number and not the @cingularme.com. That might help you

Hey Archer,

Thanks for your response. You're right, of course, it is a 7130c... and yeah, i thought it might be teleflip screwing up, so i also sent a test message to
    mynumber@cingularme.com and got the same rejection:

host atlsmtp.cingularme.net[66.102.165.114] said:
    550 <xxxxxxxxx@cingularme.com> has restricted SMS e-mail (in reply to end

I'm not sure what's going on. On my old phone, i could text just fine. All i've done is added a blackberry data plan to my account, so i assume i still have text messaging service with cingular.

I did not buy this phone new from cingular. A friend of mine works for cingular and sold it to me straight up, still in the box. There is another quirk with it, the fact that there was only the cingular browser on it, not the blackberry browser... does that have anything to do with my problems?

Also, using your advice, I was able to (try, anyways) send myself an MMS via mynumber@cingularme.com and just to my phone number. Both of these failed.
    The problems you are having are very unusual, that's why I asked if it was new. There are hardly ever any complaints about the 7130c , they are so incredibly reliable and easy to use.

When you sign up for the Blackberry Data Plan it should "push the icons" to your start screen, or home screen. The two web browsers are completely different.

The Cingular Browser is not a full featured browser it is a WAP type browser, (Wireless Access Protocol) the other Icon you should have is labeled Internet Browser as that's what it is, a full featured browser which is optimized for mobile websites. In addition it will display many regular web sites (Google, and others) that are designed to run on PC's as well as Mobile phones. In fact the list of these sites is well over 200 and growing everyday.

Regarding your BlackBerry I would see if you can return it and start off right with a new one. Based on all the problems you are having, while it's possible (or not) to get all that fixed, it sounds like a big project.

Just had another idea. Remove the battery and look in the space for a small square white dot. It looks like a small piece of plastic sticker material. If your phone was exposed to water it will be red in color. If it's missing that's another clue that somethings wrong. It should be there and it should be bright white. On mine (and I have two 7130c's) the sticker is located near the bottom of the battery compartment across from the sim card.

Let me know how you do.

Cheers....

First off, boom boom, quoting my original post, "However, when i try to send a normal sms, my bb claims good delivery, allthough the text goes no where. I tested this by sending a text to myself."

Archer, The white sticker is fine. Even though I didn't buy this *from* a cingular store, the phone was in a box, factory sealed. Actually, before I got a blackberry data plan, the bb had no browsers, not even media net. Once I signed up, the bb registered or whatever it is that it does, and One icon did get "pushed" to the device - media net... However, I never got the blackberry browser.. I didn't really think much of it, downloaded opera mini and got over it...

Everything really is working fine, aside from text messaging... I guess I have to deal with cingular support...

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

keola welcome to pinstack!!
    have you checked to see if you have those service books?
    options>advanced options>service books.
    there should be two for MMS (client and transport)
    if not, resend your service books
    if yes, then delete and resend service books
    also make sure with Cingular that you are provisioned to send and accept - on a pay per use basis (if you don't have a packaged plan)

let us know if this works...

PIN/ID
    ATA

you may also want to try and re-register the handheld
    options>advanced options>host routing table
    click trackwheel and choose register now

First off, boom boom, quoting my original post, "However, when i try to send a normal sms, my bb claims good delivery, allthough the text goes no where. I tested this by sending a text to myself."

Archer, The white sticker is fine. Even though I didn't buy this *from* a cingular store, the phone was in a box, factory sealed. Actually, before I got a blackberry data plan, the bb had no browsers, not even media net. Once I signed up, the bb registered or whatever it is that it does, and One icon did get "pushed" to the device - media net... However, I never got the blackberry browser.. I didn't really think much of it, downloaded opera mini and got over it...

Everything really is working fine, aside from text messaging... I guess I have to deal with cingular support...
    Well that sounds really encouraging, that you got a new one. I must have misread your first post, as it sounded like you had lots of things going wrong.

Besides all the other good advice you have received from others here, I have a great suggestion for you. This is really fast and a great free service.

For tech support, use your computer, go to cingular web site, then click the link for support, phone/device support, be sure to select your phone in the top of the page which shows a picture of whatever phone comes up, just change it to 7130c. Then look on the right side of the window about in the middle of the page and click on "Tech Support Chat" .

That will launch a chat window. I've used it at least 10 times. It's really fast and they are very skilled. It really beats calling in. They will give you answers and links to the resources you may need to fix the problem.

One more important note: you must go to cingular with MS Internet Explorer, I learned the hard way. I use Firefox for everything and the first time I went to Cingular they put up a link for me to click on for additional info and it would not work. So I just had a feeling that it might be my browser, so I had to start all over again with IE, and it worked perfectly.

Let us know how you are doing.

Cheers.....

cherrichiodo, thanks for the welcome... side question: ever heard of the band chiodos? j/w if your name was a reference to them...

anyway, In looking at my service books, am i supposed to have a whole crap load? Among them are "Cingular MMS [WAP]" and "MMS Client [MMS]"

As far as deleting and resending the service books, how exactly do I resend? I'd like to hold off deleting them until I know where to get them. The only thing i know of is when I sign into my blackberry email account (www (dot) cingular (dot) com / blackberrystart) there is an option in there to "Send Service Book" But i'm pretty sure that's just a service book for e-mail.

I did go to host routing table and re-register, and what do ya know, the blackberry browser showed up.. Also, the enterprise activation thingey (this was on the bb originally, but it went away when i got blackberry service) showed back up...
    I'm not really sure what any of this means, but I still cannot send or receive sms or mms... As soon as i get off work I will call cingular and make sure I can send/receive on a pay per basis.

Thanks! Any more thoughts or suggestions are definitely welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    Well that sounds really encouraging, that you got a new one. I must have misread your first post, as it sounded like you had lots of things going wrong.

Besides all the other good advice you have received from others here, I have a great suggestion for you. This is really fast and a great free service.

For tech support, use your computer, go to cingular web site, then click the link for support, phone/device support, be sure to select your phone in the top of the page which shows a picture of whatever phone comes up, just change it to 7130c. Then look on the right side of the window about in the middle of the page and click on "Tech Support Chat" .

That will launch a chat window. I've used it at least 10 times. It's really fast and they are very skilled. It really beats calling in. They will give you answers and links to the resources you may need to fix the problem.

One more important note: you must go to cingular with MS Internet Explorer, I learned the hard way. I use Firefox for everything and the first time I went to Cingular they put up a link for me to click on for additional info and it would not work. So I just had a feeling that it might be my browser, so I had to start all over again with IE, and it worked perfectly.

Let us know how you are doing.

Cheers.....
    Thanks, I will definitely try and use the live chat. I've already called cingular support twice yesterday, trying to get blackberry service active, and they don't seem to know much about blackberrys.. I am an avid firefox user as well, if you haven't already, you should look into an extension called "IE Tab" It lets you open those pesky IE only pages in an Internet Explorer Tab. Just search for "Internet Explorer" at the firefox add-on site.

PIN/ID
    ATA

YES - I love the Chiodos...found them on accident actually at hot topic! no, this is my husband's last name - he's italian.

ok, service books: yes, you can send them from the address that you indicated above. this isn't 'just for email'...so go ahead and do that. don't delete the ones there now, let's see if they change
    mine say MMS Client [MMS] and MMS Transport [WPTCP]
    let me know what happens when you do the service books.

also - check your TCP settings
    options>advanced options>tcp
    it should be:
    APN: wap.cingular
    Username for APN: wap@cingulargprs.com
    Password for APN: cingular1

you can hide the enterprise activation (unless you plan on using BES or hosted BES, but i'm guessing no ) by scrolling over the icon, click the alt key (bottom left) then the trackwheel (i think) and choosing 'hide application"

let me know how it goes...feel free to PIN me if you need to.
    i don't get instantly notified here with PM's, so that isn't the easiest way to get hold of me

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo
    YES - I love the Chiodos...found them on accident actually at hot topic! no, this is my husband's last name - he's italian.

ok, service books: yes, you can send them from the address that you indicated above. this isn't 'just for email'...so go ahead and do that. don't delete the ones there now, let's see if they change
    mine say MMS Client [MMS] and MMS Transport [WPTCP]
    let me know what happens when you do the service books.

also - check your TCP settings
    options>advanced options>tcp
    it should be:
    APN: wap.cingular
    Username for APN: wap@cingulargprs.com
    Password for APN: cingular1

you can hide the enterprise activation (unless you plan on using BES or hosted BES, but i'm guessing no ) by scrolling over the icon, click the alt key (bottom left) then the trackwheel (i think) and choosing 'hide application"

let me know how it goes...feel free to PIN me if you need to.
    i don't get instantly notified here with PM's, so that isn't the easiest way to get hold of me
    Alright, resend the service books, got a new message: "Congratulations, you have successfully setup... blah blah blah"

Checked the service books, and they're still the same:
    Cingular MMS [WAP]
    MMS Client [MMS]

Checked my TCP settings and they look good... Oh, and I'd PIN you, but I'm not quite sure what that means

PIN/ID
    ATA

hmmm...ok, i think this is one for tech support - the only other suggestion i have is to upgrade your firmware/OS

to PIN me:
    while in message application click trackwheel and choose compose PIN
    in the to: field type my PIN 204DF2FF
    and then compose PIN
    click trackwheel and SEND

to BB message me
    open BB messenger
    choose add a contact
    scroll to use once and click trackwheel
    choose request by PIN
    enter my PIN 204DF2FF and send

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast