Is there a way to add ringtones to my 7130e via the USB cable instead ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

rvetter no está en línea Stack level 1

Adding ringtones via USB cable?

Advertisement

Is there a way to add ringtones to my 7130e via the USB cable instead of doing it through going online? I am temporarily in an are that does not have BB internet service and would like to put on some ringtones. Any help with a tutorial/instructions of any kind would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help.

d_fisher no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Adding ringtones via USB cable?

No, sorry. The 7130 does not support the transfer of files via USB or Bluetooth connection.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

And ringtones are OTA only, for any device (except perhaps the 8100).

nebcat no está en línea Stack level 1

There's always a way. Jus be patient.

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

I added a custom Kashmir ring tone (first 15 seconds) to my wife's 7130c. Took me about 15 or 20 minutes to figure it out. (most of which time took me googling to figure out how to make a small clip, found many suggestions for the free Audacity software, which worked well!)

1. Used Windows Media Player 10 to rip the CD to 320kbps mp3. (Free)
    2. Used Audacity to select the first 15 seconds (or so) of the track. Saved as a mp3 file. I think I saved them as 128kbps or 192kbps mp3s, I don't recall. (Free)
    3. Upgraded cingular 7130c (I assume the 7130e is similar, no?) to latest O/S 4.2.x (Free)
    4. Used latest 4.2.x Desktop Manager (smaller download, the one without the Roxio stuff - this was the one I tried to download first). The same DM the pearl uses.
    5. Transfered it to the media folder (or whatever it is called) on the handheld using Desktop Manager and USB.
    6. When selecting the ringtone, told it to look in the media folder on the BB (instead of the stock ring tones places).

7. repeated the procedure using other WAVs (converted to mp3) to SMS and email. It worked too.

8. following that I had her select a couple Anime/Manga wall papers that she had, cropped them, then used Desktop Manager to transfer them to the media folder (or whatever it's called) on the BlackBerry. Set one as the default wallpaper (also selected one of the "Zen" themes, since you can better see the wallpaper.

I could probably get the exact steps if I were to get in front of my wife's Thinkpad. (That was the one I built and loaded the ring tone from). I don't have Audacity or DM on my Thinkpad or my work computer.
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

Quote Originally Posted by rvetter
    Is there a way to add ringtones to my 7130e via the USB cable instead of doing it through going online? I am temporarily in an are that does not have BB internet service and would like to put on some ringtones. Any help with a tutorial/instructions of any kind would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help.
    Yes. It's kind of back-door, but works great. Complicated at first, but gets simpler with time: (The quote is mine from another thread)
    Sure: Go here http://www.mobile41.com/theme_tools.htm and find JDE 4.1.0. Downloads and installs fast. You may need to install the latest java, but I'm not sure -- the JDE will tell you if you need that particular upgrade.

After installation of the JDE, it works like this: First, backup your content store on your real BB to somewhere on your harddrive where you know what it is. Then unplug the cable.

Second, from your Start menu, start "MDS". A DOS screen will open and it looks like a large BAT file runs. Note: You have to have your internet connection open.

Third, from your Start menu, start "Device Simulator". Another DOS screen opens, and then in a couple of seconds a simulated BB appears. I think, at this point, you can change the simulation to your BB, but I've never had to do it so I'm not sure how -- but it should be eezy. However, I'm 99 percent sure you don't have to have matching units for this to work, since in real life you can back up from one BB and restore to another model.

Fourth, simulate a USB connection. From the top menu on the simulator, choose "Simulate" and then "USB Cable Connection".

Fifth, start your Desktop Manager. It will respond as though the simulation is an actual BB! Then use the Desktop Manager to restore the content store that you backed up in step "First" to the simulation.

Sixth, using the simulation, surf around the internet to pictures/ringtones/etc you may like, and download them to the simulation.

Seventh, use the Desktop Manager to back up the content store from the Simulation. Then shut down all the programs, including MDS, the Simulation, and the desktop manager.

Eighth, connect your real BB via USB to the computer, start Desktop Manager, and restore the content store you backed up from the simulation in step "Seventh".

Voila! Pix and other stuff transferred to your pre-4.2 device!

Note: When you do a restore operation, it always erases current data before restoring. That's why it's essential to back up the real BB into the simulation, then the simulation back into the real BB, so you don't lose the stuff you already have on your real handheld.

All this sounds complicated, but after you do it a couple of times, it's really only a few mouse clicks!

PIN/ID
    24431D74

I guess it's the network. It seems that VZW only sees fit to provide 7130e users with O/S 4.1 handheld software rather than the 4.2 O/S AT&T provides. Not sure if being on 4.1 vs. 4.2 matters as I don't have a device still on 4.2 that isn't a 7290 or earlier. Sorry.

If "Media Manager" from Desktop Manager 4.2 or later can't help with your 4.1 device, then maybe Mark's workaround will help?

Quote Originally Posted by Aroc
    I guess it's the network. It seems that VZW only sees fit to provide 7130e users with O/S 4.1 handheld software rather than the 4.2 O/S AT&T provides. Not sure if being on 4.1 vs. 4.2 matters as I don't have a device still on 4.2 that isn't a 7290 or earlier. Sorry.

If "Media Manager" from Desktop Manager 4.2 or later can't help with your 4.1 device, then maybe Mark's workaround will help?
    I'm an idiot -- for some reason it didn't register that the handheld in question is a 7130, which does have 4.2 available! Simply upgrade the OS to 4.2 and use desktop manager to do USB file transfers. Other 71xx devices don't have this available. Ask Jake in this thread OS 4.2 available for telstra users where the download is, delete the vendor.xml file, then install. Hammer Down!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone
    I'm an idiot -- for some reason it didn't register that the handheld in question is a 7130, which does have 4.2 available! Simply upgrade the OS to 4.2 and use desktop manager to do USB file transfers. Other 71xx devices don't have this available. Ask Jake in this thread OS 4.2 available for telstra users where the download is, delete the vendor.xml file, then install. Hammer Down!
    ........but now I've read some posts that agree that 4.2 is not available for Verizon 7130s......

tabasco1tx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

ok so what if my internet connection is my phone? I live out in BFE so i use my phone as a modem to jump online.

Quote Originally Posted by tabasco1tx
    ok so what if my internet connection is my phone? I live out in BFE so i use my phone as a modem to jump online.
    If you're referring to using the simulation to transfer files, you can still use the phone as a modem during the process because you don't need the internet connection when you're doing the work on the actual phone. The only time you need the internet connection is to download the needed software and to access multimedia files online that you may want to use.

trini_kronik no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

media manager doesnt know when my phone is connected! anyone know why?

PIN/ID
    24431D74

Make sure your phone is running O/S 4.2 or later. (this is the handheld O/S, and does not refer to the version of Desktop Manager). The media manager functions require O/S 4.2.

other than that, I don't know. You didn't post any specifics so I can't help you.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b