I've had a refurbed 7100g for about 3 months now. I've been using the headset ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

MagicKimdom no está en línea Stack level 1

Ack! A broken headset jack! (7100g)

Advertisement

I've had a refurbed 7100g for about 3 months now. I've been using the headset that came with it, but have recently had some trouble with it. I tried to jiggle the plug around a bit to see if that would help the reception, and noticed that the jack had shifted several mm from where it belongs. The plastic that keeps it in place must have cracked. The worst thing is that the device still senses that a headset is plugged in, so I can't just hold the phone up to my face or even turn on the speakerphone. Would a Bluetooth work in a case like this, or does the BBerry need to "think" the jack doesn't have a headset plugged in?

Cingular says it's not covered by my warranty, and I don't want to spend any more than I have to. I only want to get it repaired if there are no cheap Bandaid-type fixes out there. Please help!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Depending on how good you are at soldering, you may be able to fix it, but I wouldn't say 100%.

If you have ever taken one of these apart, you will see that the headphone jack (along with the USB and buttons) are hard soldered onto the board itself...It's a pain, but anything is possible.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    MagicKimdom, Welcome to PinStack.

You might try Promobility or BBRepairshop if you don't feel up to tackling it yourself.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Re: Ack! A broken headset jack! (7100g)

Thanks N8DBB and Rcbjr. I was hoping it was a "snap into place" quick fix rather than a "get out the soldering iron" issue. Drat.

Do you think I'd be able to use a Bluetooth and just leave the broken jack rattling around? Or will it still sense that the headset is plugged in and therefore not allow me to use the Bluetooth headset?

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Not sure...I am sure that if the 7100 has the option to turn bluetooth on and connect that it would be able to.

I would check, but the 7100 that I have is all in pieces right now.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    You might try Promobility or BBRepairshop if you don't feel up to tackling it yourself.
    Thanks Rcbjr for the links!

I went to BB Repair shop and found this: "Precision Torx driver for "do-it-yourself" BlackBerry Repair - made by Wiha Tools"

Am I in trouble now...... I'll have that baby torn apart and spread all over the place in a flash!

And to think there was nothing wrong with it in the first place......

Cheers....

Checking back in. I finally tried using my husband's Motorola Bluetooth headset. I got it to connect and got the blue flashing LED, but again, the BBerry still "thought" my headset was plugged in, so no sound would come through the Bluetooth.

The good news is that I found a local phone repair shop, and I hope to have my CrackBerry back in my hands in just a few hours. Thanks for all the advice!

badfish281 no está en línea Stack level 1

Wish I saw that link before I bought a cradle charger to make up for my broken usb port/jack on my pearl. It was only 80 bucks to fix it! Thanks, to whoever put up those links!

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

shove a broken head phone adapter into the slot then try the blue tooth. I seen this work on a plam then the next day the dude drop his phone and shattered his screen lol.