Greetings! I have purchased what is supposed to be an "Unlocked and Unbranded" 7130g phone. ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

danieleburro no está en línea Stack level 1

7130g: Cingular Network & SIM = Invalid SIM Card?

Advertisement

Greetings!

I have purchased what is supposed to be an "Unlocked and Unbranded" 7130g phone.

The "Network: Cingular" is what is listed when I look at the Options. Yet, the display relates, "Invalid SIM Card" though my SIM is a 3g Cingular SIM. (This SIM works perfectly fine in the Nokia I've carried for the past several months.)

I spent the majority of the day on the phone with Cingular and RIM. They advised me to go to a local Cingular store for face-to-face help.

The rest of the day was spent at two stores. After uninstalling my SIM, reflashing it, enduring another series of failures, the installation of a new SIM, and enduring another series of failures, the store managers are stumped.

These managers contacted Cingular tech support and they, too, are stumped.

I am as ignorant as a brick when it comes to these incredible instruments.

Who, in all of the forum's vast sagacious pool, possesses the knowledge to aid me with my BrickBerry? Will you be so kind as to help me and help others who are marinating in Brickberry misery?

Joyfully About Business,

Daniel

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: 7130g: Cingular Network & SIM = Invalid SIM Card?

daniel, are you 100% positive that the bb is unlocked?

Amazing, indeed, is the rapid reply I've received regarding my BrickBerry. Thanks.

Well, as much as it pains the male ego, I must as for directions as to how to know for certain--ugh!

I've gone through the whole MEPPD process and it shows:

SIM: Disabled
    Network: Active (this is not supposed to be, is it?)
    Network Subset: Disabled
    Service Provider: Disabled
    Corporate: Disabled

Under Options, Network: Cingular (I am a Cingular/AT&T subscriber/blood-donor)

I went through the International Care Support center in hopes they might aid me. Nope, nada, won't do it since I did not purchase it from a Cingular Corp. store.

Holding a BrickBerry in one hand and lifting the other toward those more knowledgeable and kind-hearted than the Cingular tech support folks thus far encountered...

evilcaptain no está en línea Stack level 3

Network should show disabled and not active if unlocked. GO back to the seller to find out why. If this is not possible, you can go find a service that can unlock that model of BB.

Not a crime to ask questions since this is a forum.

jasonfont426 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204C6D97

Quote Originally Posted by danieleburro
    I've gone through the whole MEPPD process and it shows:

SIM: Disabled
    Network: Active (this is not supposed to be, is it?)
    Network Subset: Disabled
    Service Provider: Disabled
    Corporate: Disabled
    Hold on! You spoke with RIM and Cingular, went to two Cingular stores who then contacted tech support and all those people couldn't tell you that your Berry was locked??? Amazing! If it was actually unlocked, then all of the above would read "Disabled". I know that and I'm a relative BB beginner!

No biggie though, just Google "blackberry unlock" and go from there (or there are a few services that advertise here). Once your phone is unlocked, you can use it on any GSM network in the world. The 7130g is a great little BB!!!!

Peace,

Jason
    Last edited by jasonfont426; 04-11-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evilcaptain
    Network should show disabled and not active if unlocked. GO back to the seller to find out why. If this is not possible, you can go find a service that can unlock that model of BB.

Not a crime to ask questions since this is a forum.
    Greetings from One Being Illuminated by the Sagacious Souls Populating the Blackberry Forums!

I am a Cingular subscriber. As this is a phone locked to the Cingular nework (according to the information you have provided), why would I need to have it unlocked?

Joyfully About Business,

Though Not on My BlackBerry,

Daniel

jasonfont426 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204C6D97

From the information you've provided, your BlackBerry appears to be locked to the carrier/network it was manufactured to operate on originally. That carrier is not Cingular since Cingular never sold or offered for sale the 7130g. Cingular only offered the 7130c. If it was locked to Cingular then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Peace,

Jason
    Last edited by jasonfont426; 04-12-2007 at 03:14 AM.

Yep, It is a locked phone that is not a locked phone...yada yada yada...or so says the BlackBerry customer service center as they talked with the Cingular tech support fellow I was in the office with earlier today.

They tracked the IMEI to the Cellular One network. When we talked with them (now doing business as Dobson Cellular: 1.800.848.4011) they explained that their phones are not locked but that they are proprietary (EPROM or Flash?) to the Cellular One/Dobson network. This sounds quite suspicious to me as the 7130g is reported to be a popular phone in Canada and Europe and, I would presume, these BB's would not be proprietary instruments of Cellular One/Dobson in these respective countries.

If this is true, would I be wasting my time and money--as if I haven't burned through quite a bit already!--to secure an unlock code from one of the reputable unlock service agencies?

Argh!

Celluar One DOES Lock BB's: Re: 7130g: Cingular Network & SIM = Invalid SIM Card?

Greetings!

Cellular One Tier 2 Data Services was finally interacted with today.

In fact, the BB's ARE the only telephones that are LOCKED by Cellular One. All other phones offered by Cellular One are unlocked.

The Data Services tech support fellow was most courteous and knowledgeable--hallelujah! He asked me to send them my IMEI via their "Contact Us" web interface.

Here's hoping to an unlock code soon arrives from the Cellular One customer care/data services folks.

Thanks to all!

Joyfully About Business,

Daniel Burrow

CellularOne Refuses to Unlock: Re: 7130g: Cingular Network & SIM = Invalid SIM Card?

Greetings!

CellularOne/Dobson Tier 2 Data Services was contacted regarding their promise made last week to aid me in unlocking their device if I would email my IMEI to them.

I spoke with M. just a few moments ago, at 800.934.3996, and he curtly informed me that I had been misinformed by the technician I spoke with last week. Further, my email had more or less been round-filed since CellularOne/Dobson's policy is to NOT provide ANY unlock codes.

I asked him how they were able to flout the Copyright law (see: http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/1...nlock-cellpho/ ) regarding legally unlocking phones. He explained, to my chagrin, that what this law provides for is that the consumer and/or the provider can legally unlock the phone. It does not mean the provider MUST provide an unlock code. Argh!

Beware! If you purchase a BlackBerry from CellularOne and subsequently move out of their service area, you will be on your own to obtain an unlock code and will only be able to do so at your own expense. Gsmphoneservice here I come with my Visa card at the ready and my anger at a rolling boil.

Joyfully About Business,

Daniel

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

daniel - im really sorry to hear that happened...be sure and email gsmphonesource...they give a discount to pinstackers

Breaking News: Adam Roth, at gsmphonesource, deciphers and unlocks another locked BB--mine. Hallelujah!

Once again, please be aware that Cingular One/Dobson DOES lock their BlackBerry devices. Though you will be told by 9-out-of-10 support technicians that they do not lock these instruments, I (please read the thread for the grimy details) can attest that these ARE locked.

Hallelujah, I'm now on the "edge" with AT&T and happily in the process of transfering my Palm contacts.

jdmmirage904 no está en línea Stack level 1

is there any way to get unlocked without paying?

anyone?
    Last edited by jdmmirage904; 08-06-2007 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Automerged.

Greetings from One Slightly Informed and Greatly Bruised Regarding this Issue!

This post's contents springs from the context of my Cingular/AT&T and Dobson Telecommunications "responsibility shifting" experience. Each claimed they desired to help me but could not do so due to corporate business rules. (Please see the above posts if you desire a fuller understanding.)

As of about 4-months ago, the painful and simple answer is: No. If one did not originally purchase the unit from an authorized AT&T/Cingular store or dealer, neither AT&T nor the unit's original service provider will assist in unlocking the phone. Bummer!

Our beloved cherrichiodo, who serves as a Global Moderator, aided me regarding such a question. If anything has changed, she would certainly know as she seems to be on a virtual download from the BlackBerry mothership.

Sorry.

Joyfully About Business,

Daniel
    (Quite a neophyte as compared to the wizards in this community)
    Last edited by danieleburro; 08-07-2007 at 03:20 AM.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Yes you can unlock a BB without paying if you go thru your carrier. Most require you to be a customer in good standing for 90 days. You have to contact them about it and it may work if you tell them you are travelling overseas. I have unlocked 4 BB's.