Can anyone help me? Pulled the battery still no good. Unit is dead with the ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

elevator no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32AFBF4A

7130E Flashing red four times no start

Advertisement

Can anyone help me? Pulled the battery still no good. Unit is dead with the exception of LED flashing red four times continuously.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555

Re: 7130E Falshing red four times no start

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Maybe a new battery. Other than that I'm not sure.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

While I do not know what causes this, I have a work-around.

Install the battery and if the display does not light up as expected, immediately remove & replace the battery quickly. Be prepared to do this routine a few times in a row until the display responds.

This has worked well for me.

Also once it is operating normally, if there is a need to remove the battery again, be sure it's left out of the unit for a minimum of 30 seconds before re-installing the battery.

Cheers
    ~via BB 7130c (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    32AFBF4A

Thanks...........there is something to that. I tried your fix and I can get a split second screen turn on every 30-40 tries. It is so fast I cannot hold it. DAmn. Any more tricks ? Thank you for your reply

Well that is puzzling. Who is your carrier. If it's Cingular I would suggest you go to their web site tomorrow, click on support, devices, choose your device, then click on tech chat. It's a great way to get support without the wait on the phone plus they provide useful links to any files you may need.

If not Cingular, tell is which one. I will do some other research while awaiting your response.

Let us know how you do.

Cheers
    Via 7130c

PIN/ID
    32AFBF4A

Thank you all. My carrier is Verizon.
    Verizon is sending a new phone. It was a few days under a year old.
    FYI a few months ago the thumbwheel lost its feel and did not click anymore when pushed in. It still worked though. The device routinely rebooted by itself too. I guess what I am saying is that in hindsight I think it was kind of a lousy device.
    Advice anyone? Here is the plan. Let verizon send the new phone. I keep it unopened. Tonight or tomorrow I go down and pay full retail for the 8703. Turn it on and use it. Then sell the 7103 for whatever I can get for it to recover costs. What does everyone think?

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555

Makes sense to sell it if you're not going to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by elevator
    I guess what I am saying is that in hindsight I think it was kind of a lousy device.
    Advice anyone? Here is the plan. Let verizon send the new phone. I keep it unopened. Tonight or tomorrow I go down and pay full retail for the 8703. Turn it on and use it. Then sell the 7103 for whatever I can get for it to recover costs. What does everyone think?
    My thought is that your 7130 was simply a defective phone, not neccessarily a lousy device. Taking into consideration that like all the other manufacturers, these are mass produced in large quantities it's not unusal to get a bad one from time to time. This is why the warranty is included.

That said, I think the positive side of this experience is that you do have a good approach planned. Regarding your plan I have a thought to share. What I would do, is to go into the store with your brand new 7130 in hand. Explain the situation to the store manager. Tell him what you would like would be to recieve full credit for the 7130 you are trading in to him for the 8703. You may be suprized at the result. I have found that when working with the manager and "asking for what you want" you have a good chance of getting it.

Then if he does not want to take your new 7130 on trade (or offers very little for it), ask for a "courtesy discount" on the 8703. There is a lot of markup in these units (I know this for a fact) and by reminding him that you are happy with their service, your not going to another carrier, but you need a fresh start. There is a good possibility that he will want to work with you. Even if you only get 10% off, that's better than full price.

Finally once you get your 8703 I would allow a test period of a month before making a final decision. I base this on the experience of myself and others. Usually anything that crops up, occurs in the first month.

The mistake I made when I decided to buy both the 7130c and 8700c together at the same time, was I "assumed" the qwerty keyboard on the 8700c would be a good one. When in fact, during actually usage, for me it was terrible. Being used to qwerty keyboards and really liking them on my prior Treo's, Moto-Q and Blackjack, I had no idea that the one on the 8700c would be so uncomfortable and slow. It was due to the keys being smaller than both the Pearl and the 7130c. And the odd shape of the keys.

While in general you hear very good reports on the 8700 series, there are others like myself that have been disappointed with the keyboard. However, that said, the keys are slightly different on each model of 8700 depending on the styling of the case and the carriers preferences. So just be mindful and check yours out carefully.

Cheers.

PIN/ID
    32AFBF4A

Thanks for that great reply! I appreciate you taking the time.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by elevator
    Thanks for that great reply! I appreciate you taking the time.
    Thanks again!
    Your Welcome,

This forum is a great place to hang out and learn about BlackBerrys. Everyone here is very helpful and in many cases, you can get better, more accurate info here than anywhere else.

Just in case you may not know about this site, check out
    www.phonescoop.com

The link below shows a picture of the 8700c for comparison
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/zoom.php?p=832&g=1

This link shows a picture of the 8703e
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/zoom.php?p=1047&g=1

If you look carefully there are slight differences in the cases and keys.

By what I can tell it looks like the keys on the 8703 are very good, they are not as tapered and narrow from top to bottom like the 8700c.

So, it appears that the one your getting has a good full size keyboard.

Let us know how things are going when you get your new 8703.

Cheers! and Good Luck