I just noticed yesterday that the 7130c has been discontinued by Cingular. I contacted tech ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

7130c Discontinued by Cingular, Thoughts?

Advertisement

I just noticed yesterday that the 7130c has been discontinued by Cingular. I contacted tech support and they are going to continue service and support.

Based on my experience this is a great model. Mine has been fast, trouble free, and has the best keyboard of the three I've owned and used (8700c, 7130c, 8100c Pearl)

My thought is, if it's because of low sales, they should have promoted it as I find it to be great mid size choice between the 8700 and the Pearl. Now the remaining choices have a larger gap between them IE: the Pearl vs 8700 or upcoming 8800.

I would like to hear others thoughts on this.

Cheers...

evilcaptain no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: 7130c Discontinued by Cingular, Thoughts?

I like the 7130c. It has great keyboard, form factor, EDGE. Almost everything compared to the 7105T I was using before. I wonder why TMO never had this model in its lineup. I guess there won't be anymore OS updates for this unit.

Quote Originally Posted by evilcaptain
    I like the 7130c. It has great keyboard, form factor, EDGE. Almost everything compared to the 7105T I was using before. I wonder why TMO never had this model in its lineup. I guess there won't be anymore OS updates for this unit.
    Precisely! I really like my 7130c. It's the best smartphone I own by a wide margin.

I have been doing as much researh as possible since becoming aware of this development. So far it's unclear to me what RIM's position is, as the other 7130 models that are being sold at other carriers have not been discontinued as of this writing.

When I contacted Cingular tech support at the end of the day yesterday, they were aware of the situation on the sales side. However they said that they expect to continue providing support for an indefinite period of time.

Regarind OS updates, I'm not really concerned about that. My 7130c is performing perfectly, without any issues that need improvement. So therefore I am completely happy witht he current version of the OS and cannot see any particular benefit to upgrades. Especially since it does not have a media player or camera (two features I have NO interest in). Since I have access to secure areas of a few mfg facitilities that do not allow camera phones, not having one on my BB is a big benefit to me.

What I have done, just for safety and security is to go to Cingular's portion of the RIM Web site and downloaded a copy of the current OS to my computer. That way if in the future I need it for performing a complete OS restore, I will have a fresh copy.

I am going to continue to stay on top of this and will keep everyone here advised as to what I find out.

Finally, that is the very reason for my creating this thread here, is in hopes that others would join in and report their experiences and any information they may have.

Cheers.

billytickets no está en línea Stack level 2

I have the 7130e from Sprint and have been thinking about getting the 8703. Why do you like the smaller screened 7130 better than the larger 8700 phones? Yes i can type whith one hand on the 7130e and not look so blackberryish while doing soo..infact i fell more like a young kid texing his girlfriend on a Razr. sometimes people will ask how do you text on that little phone my reply i never used t9 could not stand it but the predictive text of the 7130 works great

Quote Originally Posted by billytickets
    Why do you like the smaller screened 7130 better than the larger 8700 phones?
    For me there are many reasons why, it's because the 7130c is such a perfect size. SureType is so brilliant, as well as auto text and the custom word list, that I can compose emails of length, quite a bit faster, easier and with less typos that on the 8700c.

Another reason is the phone of the 7130 is so much superior to the 8700. And don't get me wrong the phone on the 8700 is quite good. Just not as good as the 7130. I get better reception and clearer sounding calls when using the 7130.

I have owned the 7130 and the 8700 for the same amount of time which is now approaching 6 months. I carry both of them with me at all times just so that I can give them an even fair and square trial.

Having come from full qwerty devices like the Treo's Moto Q etc frankly I did not think I would like SureType and the smaller keyboard. It turned out that I was in for quite a surprize as the qwerty keyboard on the 8700c is the worst one I've used. And it's really just that they did such a poor job of the key shape. If you look at the keys on a Treo, or Moto Q or even a Blackjack they are normally shaped keys for a smart phone.

However on the 8700c, they are "styled" tapered on the inside which reduces the size of the top of the key and vertically oriented, they are just not easy to use. Yes, If one really focuses and practices you can adjust, but it still is not comfortable or easy. At least for me. Many others here like the keyboard. I tried a BlackBerry 7290 with full qwerty and it was the very best of any keyboard I've every used. I am shocked that they could go from the best to the worst (just my opinion). The good news however, is that they corrected this major mistake on the new upcoming 8800 series and went back to normal keys designed for typing and effeciency.

Another reason I find the 7130 so perfect is that it has normal keys, that are wide and spaced well. So well layed out that I can touch type on it.

I also find the brightness of the display on the 7130 to be more than the 8700, this is a small but important feature for me as I process more than 80 to 100 emails a day. Not all from my BB, but a good majority on many days, because I'm traveling for work.

So for me after purchasing the three current models:
    [8700c, 7130c, 8100 Pearl] and giving each a very fair trial I like the 7130c the best. However it's important for me to note that they are really excellent in their own way and far superior to any other platform like Palm, Window Mobile 5, or Symbian.

The 7130c ends up being the one device that I can easily carry, is shaped like a cell phone, and has the best phone quality. Finally I have just one device and no more PDA.

Cheers....

billytickets no está en línea Stack level 2

very informative i will keep my 7130e ...and wait for the 8800 on sprint that should be my guess 2 years!

Quote Originally Posted by billytickets
    very informative i will keep my 7130e ...and wait for the 8800 on sprint that should be my guess 2 years!
    That sounds like a great plan and I'm thinking that the wait for the 8800 be not be that long either. I just went to the RIM site and downloaded an extra copy of the OS, as well as the Desktop Manager v 4.2 to my PC that way I'm covered no matter happens on the support side.

Cheers...

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I agree with evilcaptain. Even though I am with TMobile I would have liked to own a 7130 but I have the features off the 8700 such as the media player, as well as media storage, in a small package that is easy to carry around, and SureType, in my 8100. I see myself owning this BB until it refuses to work anymore LOL

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via 8100 Pearl (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Going to try again. I agree with evilcaptain. I never had the 7130 series but I love the 8100 I have now. It gives the best of all worlds with features in a small package.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I agree with evilcaptain. Even though I am with TMobile I would have liked to own a 7130 but I have the features off the 8700 such as the media player, as well as media storage, in a small package that is easy to carry around, and SureType, in my 8100. I see myself owning this BB until it refuses to work anymore LOL
    I agree with your asssestment of the 8100 Pearl, it's a wonderful BlackBerry. If only I did not have such dependence on a larger keyboard I would have kept my Pearl.

So from a standpoint of versatility the Pearl is really fantastic. Ah... the functionality of a BB cannot be beat!

Just noticed that the 7130c is back on the Cingular website.

I still cannot get a firm answer about it's status.

My only suggestion is if you want one, get it now.

I bought an extra one just in case, as I do not see any hint of a replacement of this ideal mid-sized model anytime soon.

As much as I tried to like the Pearl I bought, the keyboard was just too wobbly & small for me.

The 8700 is just too brick like, so I find the 7130c perfect.

Cheers
    ~via BB 7130c (wap.pinstack.com)~

The 7130c models came and went off the Cingular site very quickly. Probably just selling the remainder of their inventory.

I find it interesting that they refuse to acknowledge they are discontinued.

So we will se what's next.

Cheers
    ~via BB 7130c (wap.pinstack.com)~

potthoff no está en línea Stack level 3

I noticed that the 7130c is now only sold as refurbished. At least in my market area.

Yes your right. They must have sold what was left of the remaining inventory.

They are now listing refurbished models only.

~via the last New BB 7130c (wap.pinstack.com)~