I've seen posts on using the 71xx series as a modem if you have the ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

e_tietze no está en línea Stack level 1

7130c as dial-up modem

Advertisement

I've seen posts on using the 71xx series as a modem if you have the data package through your provider. I noticed after installing the latest OS on my 7130c that Dial Up Networking is now listed under my bluetooth services. My question is this, can the 7130c be used as a standard dial-up type modem on a laptop and just dial into your ISPs land line number without the data package. I understand the speed would be drastically less, but I would only need to use it like this every couple of months or so.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Eric

tabasco1tx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Re: 7130c as dial-up modem

My understanding by my cell provider is that their network can identify voice calls and data calls and that they limit standard data calls or dial up calls to 9.6kbps, they mostly do it to encourage people to sign up for their data plans. Which i did, and for the most part I get anywhere from 59kbps,out in the country rural area where i live, to much higher speeds in San Antonio. But cost is a factor for most, 29 bucks a month versus 10 to 20 a month for regular dial-up. But the phone lines locally are so degredated that with dial-up i was getting 10kbps or less. So i dumped AT&T and went completely wireless. It's really up to you which way you go. It's a matter of weighing the cost versus the benefit. I like it because i can hookup to my laptop or desktop and jump online anywhere T-Mo has coverage or an aggreement with another provider for roaming.

e_tietze no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: 7130c as dial-up modem

Well that stinks.... I wouldn't mind paying for it if I would actually use it enough to be worth it. Like I said, I would only use the data services occassionaly, main reason I want it is because I'm on a search and rescue team and would like to be able get online and check weather and such when we are out on a search.