Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Okay, so now after installing the OS upgrades my phone no longer has to be ... RIM Blackberry 71xx forum

biffcheese no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    4013E3E8

7100i Radio Constantly Turning Off

Advertisement

Okay, so now after installing the OS upgrades my phone no longer has to be reset by pulling the battery, but maybe 20 times a day I have to manually turn the radio back on. I'll be in the middle of a call, sending messages, emails, etc. and the Radio status will just change to "OFF," requiring me to go to the Desktop and click the "Turn Radio On" several times before service will be restored.

I've Master Reset several times but it always goes back to the same thing, and then I get the automated text message telling my handheld has been registered with the wireless network. Everything will work fine for a few minutes or so and then...Radio Off.

Anyone else seen this, and if so, got a solution?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: 7100i Radio Constantly Turning Off

I had a 7105t that quite frequently lost signal but it never re-registered itself on the wireless network. I had to do resets myself also (and then other times I just waited for it to resolve the issue by itself) but you might try to convince Nextel you have a faulty device.

Also, I'm not sure if an OS upgrade (if one is even available for that BB) would do any good because it's a network/device issue.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-24-2007 at 04:56 AM.

ohad_129 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    237be374

Which radio you use?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Did you install the latest update, or just reinstall the previous version?

If you installed the new version try to reinstall the older version and see if the radio turns off.

If you installe the previous version try to install the new version and see what happens.

Either way, this is not what should be happening! Good luck.

biffcheese no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    4013E3E8

Question Re: 7100i Radio Constantly Turning Off

Now I've tried reinstalling the older version of the OS, reinstalling the new version of the OS, resetting the radio, registering the device on the network, wiping and restoring the software, and throwing it up against the wall. Nothing's working. I still get occasional usage, though usually after about 3 minutes of voice or data, the radio turns itself off and has to be either manually restarted repeatedly or hard reset, but now, instead of just rebooting, the whole thing will give me the hourglass icon, will blink on and off at about 4 second intervals, and then just shut itself down completely until I remove the battery for at least an hour and then replace it.

And yet I'm still convinced that this all can be fixed.

I'm trying the Backup and Restore function from my Desktop Manager, but when I go to backup or restore specific services, certain ones are grayed out and I can't click the arrow to place them back onto my device. Y'know, little things like MMS Messages and the MMS Options! I can't send or recieve texts anymore, or even compose them! All of my 3rd party apps have vanished, including Google Maps, Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger, my games, 411, and others.

Somebody Pleeeease help!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I would replace the device. Its obvious you have tried everything possible but nothing is working.

xaurav no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20374F8B

ok, we have 1 more possibility, that your sms service is disabled...may be
    so y dont u make a try of ur sim on another cell,
    if it works fine in another cell , then u have to fix your blackberry handheld.

topflight70 no está en línea Stack level 1

I am on at least my third replacement 7100i and have had EXACTLY the same issues as discussed in the original post. I am on a multi-phone government account and Nextel has been absolutely USELESS in helping us fix this problem. So far, biffcheese's experience is the only other example that I have found on this issue.

I have swapped (through the gove't exchange program, which sends a replacement 7100i, but no sim card, battery, etc.. just a phone... a refurb at that!)... Anway, I have swapped 7100i's, SIM cards, software, etc.

I did another software reinstall yesterday and sent a text message, email, phone call... everything seemed to be working again. Then I left the house for a while and....

Same issue... Radio turning off.

What was different from my tests?? The difference... I was connected by a USB cable to my computer when everything was working.

What's been replaced so far? The phone, SIM card, software... But what has remained unchanged?

THE BATTERY!!!

I think I have a defective battery.

Here's my reasoning:

- Everything works when connected to computer.
    - Nothing works right when phone is flying solo.
    - This problem has repeated consistently with other 7100i units.
    - 7100i BB units use a proprietary "smart" battery specific to the 7100i.
    - 7100i has a OS programmed function to auto turn off radio when battery power is low (cannot override this).
    - My 7100i works fine if connected to computer OR WALL CHARGER.
    - Therefore, smart 7100i battery is reporting screwy data to phone causing radio to switch off.

Hey... It's about the best answer I can come up with.

Your thoughts on this theory?

topflight70 no está en línea Stack level 1

Seems that was it!

Yesterday morning, I put a new battery into my 7100i.

So far (more than 24 hours later), I have not had ANY radio turn-off issues. All of my calls have been uninterrupted, no drops while looking at web pages, and no drops while using direct connect.

What really ticks off me and the other folks in my office who handle the Nextel and Blackberries in my office is that not ONCE did anyone Sprint/Nextel suggest to investigate the battery. We have about 20 man hours between us on the phone with Nextel insisting that all the needed to do was send another exchange program phone (despite having done this twice already). They also admitted that the refurbished phones that were sent to us may not have been fully tested to ensure problem-free operation.

It's times like that I wish I had a recorder hooked up to the phone

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Battery causing the radio to turn off, sounds reasonable. Thanks for testing that for us.

dmwesq no está en línea Stack level 1

I have been experiencing similar problems. I am on my 7th 7100i in 3 weeks - and neither Nextel nor the service center we have our government account through has an answer.

Issues started with calls being dropped, and when I would try to dial back that number or try to make any other outgoing calls, the device would be locked and I would get an unable to connect error message. That happened on the next device as well (all subsequent devices were refurbished ones).

On the third device I started getting duplicate e-mails, and then the radio turning off in the middle of calls. Each subsequent device would also turn radio off during calls. Not only were the Blackberry's replaced, but the SIM card and battery were replaced and the problem still persisted.

I thought it odd that I could have device after device fail, and then had the service center give me a phone that they had around for 2 months, thinking the batch of refurbished phones they were using might all be bad.

I have had this new phone for 4 days, and so far no calls have been dropped and the radio has stayed on. What I can't get around is the device registers with the network and I get a confirmation e-mail each time I power the phone on. This is not normal and certainly would indicate there is still a problem lurking. I have done master rests, wiped the handheld, and am at a loss as to where to go from here.
    Last edited by dmwesq; 10-23-2007 at 07:15 PM.

hooeld no está en línea Stack level 1

Mine started this a week or two ago.. My battery indicated 85%, signal is good.. My Nextel rep brought me a battery, and it did it with the second battery as well. Swapped phones (refurb) Yesterday, and put Bat 1 back in.. It did it again... Put Bat 2 (from rep) in and it worked til 50% (in status) then started doing the turn wireless off again. ON USB cord seems fine.. I suspect it is a battery issue, and the second battery is not new (it looks used on the contacts). I guess I will try a new battery and see what happens. I am the only 7100i in the office.
    Any comments on an extended battery?? I use a soft case, and it looks like it will fit, snug, but the sides are elastic..

Les

Cracked Out no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Pls!

My problem started Saturday so my first step is going to be to replace the battery. Sprint indicated that the problem with the wireless re-registering is a RIM problem and that RIM is currently working on it.

hooeld no está en línea Stack level 1

Just a follow up on my problem. It was the battery, I bought a new one, and it now lasts 2 days. The battery the sales rep gave me to try was also an old/bad one..

Cracked Out no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Pls!

I got my new battery yesterday and so far so good. First they replaced the phone and when that didn't work they bought into the battery theory. I must say that Sprint was awesome throughout the whole process. They even called me four times to ensure that I was satisfied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast