I'm living in Shanghai, China now. I have a BB Curve 8800. A friend who ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

dr3x320 no está en línea Stack level 2

World Phone> Int'l Calling Issues with US/Foreign SIM Help!

Advertisement

I'm living in Shanghai, China now.
    I have a BB Curve 8800.

A friend who recently came to Shanghai, China was told by her verizon rep to buy the 8830 World Phone (BB Bold World Edition) to use globally.

She got here, and she wants to use her foreign or local SIM Card to dial in China so she won't accrue long distance charges on her US #.

Problem:
    Without her Verizon SIM Card in, she can dial and receive calls from her USA #, and be charged international fees.

She puts in her local card (China Mobile SIM) and while using it, she is not charged on her local SIM card.

I have disabled her GLOBAL hetwork and the "1exL" network, and switched it to the China Mobile Network MANUALLY.

After having her dial from China, with a China SIM Card, to the US, assuming she will be using her China SIM card minutes, and checking after, she is not charged for any of the minutes. Meaning she is being billed on her USA SIM Account?

Anyone have any advice/help on this issue is greatly appreciated, she's already accrued about $500USD b/c of this issue.

Also, when dialing from her phone, I've tried to change here "number" where it shows up when dialing out, but it shows her USA number, and no her China #, I couldn't find the option for the life of me, any ideas where? BUT I'm sure this is a small matter, they major problem now is she wants to be billed on her China SIM account, rather her USA account.

*I've called verizon and they weren't any help at all.
    ATT Curve 8300
    v4.2.2.89 / Platform 2.4.0.39

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Will have to check in to this.

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Under the 'Manage Connection'icon>Mobile Network Options
    Network mode should be set to GSM (not global) and like you said the data services should be off (not even 'off when roaming')
    Otherwise the phone will try to primarily look for a CDMA 1x signal.
    Hopefully the phone was properly unlocked by Verizon, who would rather chi-ching the roaming costs.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

She was told that she had to buy the world phone to use it internationally but little did she know she only needed a regular BB Bold and have that unlocked in order to use a foreign sim card. She was able to get the unlock code and I was able to successfully unlock it for her yesterday, I spent about 4 hours fiddling with her Bold phone and no luck in trying to get it to charge out of her foreign SIM not her Verizon SIM.

I have the network on manual, and the data is turned to Off, not Off when roaming, she hasn't connected it to a PC yet so she doesn't have the chinese fonts on there, but its easy enough to tell that there are 4 ascii blocks for a network which is what the China Mobile Network symbols are, when she has the China SIM card in, she comes up to GSM, which is also the same network I manually set for the phone, now the CDMA 1x option is there as well but when I spoke to the Verizon rep they told me to not use the "Global or 1xvsomething" network and she'll be only roaming on the local network, but heres the kicker, her China Mobile SIM card has unchanged amount, meaning I called some friends back in the US on her phone, for a few minutes, and text messaged (which should accrue some costs obviously) and when I dialed the automatic account lookup feature the credit is still the same.
    I'm baffled at this point.

On my Curve 8800 I have it unlocked, when I get off the plane, I just take out the SIM and switch it, simple enough, but for hers, it seems that regardless of a US SIM or China SIM she can still call and receive calls on her US number, but we want to disable this feature so she has to be forced to switch SIM cards manually like what I do.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, she ran up a huge bill so far when verizon hustled her into the world phone to make more cash on it
    ATT Curve 8300

Strange indeed. When you do what you have done and are certain the SIM has been swapped, there should be no way the phone uses the U.S. number. Since the 8830 has two antennas ( CDMA & GSM and the OS prefers to use the CDMA signal if available and set to global) that would be the way to force the phone to use only the GSM signal.
    There are a bunch of issues that I'm confused as to what you mean though and since you are still having problems let's try this
    Open the 'magage connection' icon from the screen
    scroll to Mobile Network Options> select
    Data Services> Off
    Mobile Network > since chinese font is not enabled, leave it as is
    Network Selection Mode > automatic
    Network Mode > GSM

Open menu button and save.
    Let the phone do it's thing and connect.

What could be happening is that since you are only seeing the ascii blocks, you may be forcing another carrier than for the Chinese SIM it has by having gone manual and not even notice since you can't tell when you look at the home screen. If that's the case then it may take a little longer to take away the credits. On the home screen you should see GSM next to the signal meter, a red triangle somewhere else on the screen and the gsm carrier's name (ascii blocks in this case)

As far as the charges with Verizon, it's not really clear when she purchased the phone, but it could be a combination of charges: the price of the phone + any roaming charges she incurred before the phone was set up properly. Also, she should NOT be set for an international Blackberry service since it only covers data, which she can't access anyways the moment the phone gets a different SIM and set the way we have talked about. Unfortunately, if she is with Verizon, there are not too many choices for traveling outside the U.S. and if she wanted a Blackberry with them, the 8830 is the only choice. Your 8300 curve with AT&T (I saw your side bar ) is the way to go for international travel, but then she would have to switch carriers.
    Hope I helped, let me know how it goes.

Thanks guys, I think I'll tell her to try and cancel "international" dialing or receiving on her account perhaps, also when we tried to check her credit on her China SIM we only checked within a short period of time, maybe 10-15minutes, perhaps with the setup and type of SIM it could take longer or not even show up, or even the automatic credit is only tell us on GSM and not CDMA charges, I'm still confused, but on the note about the 8800, I told her that I could of gotten a Curve WP, but I didn't b/c I wanted simplicity, as we all know bb's are not the easiest phone to get use to as a new user, but she wanted the best and she isn't tech savvy so she kinda got hustled into the most expensive phone, she's loves everything that is the best out, so she unfortunately got suckered into that one by herself, I did mention that she should of gotten the regular Bold w/o WP, but the verizon rep was too good in selling her that saying in order to use her Bold worldwide she needed to buy the WP, but little did she knew she can just call verizon after x amount of time and receive the unlock code, and then problem solved, like what I did w/ the Curve.

I'll give it a go again, I'll be seeing her again tommorow and maybe try it then, will get back on this thread if anyone else has the same issue/bugs.

Tx for all the tips/helps as well guys.
    ATT Curve 8300

A few points to help you out:
    The 88xx series are not the so called Bold, the Bold is a 90xx series and those will not be out until later this year.
    According to your 'device details' on the sidebar, and your member profile (I usually look to try and offer best help), you have an 8300 Curve with AT&T (the 8800 you kept refering to is not the curve if you have changed devices).

If she already had an account with Verizon, the 8830 WP is the only option Verizon has for a Blackberry that is able to work overseas and be able to use a foreign SIM. Normally CDMA phones (Verizon) do not have a SIM, and thus, unable to take advantange of a cheaper rate one. For instance the other Blackberries Verizon has, the 8330 and the 8130, are CDMA only, and she would be stuck paying the $1.39 or so a minute Verizon charges for roaming outside the U.S in CDMA frequencies. This is probably why the rep only had the 8830 to suggest if she wanted to try Blackberry.

Every GSM carrier (new) Blackberry is, in effect, a WP because they work on the 4 primary GSM frequencies found around the world. Like say, the one you have with AT&T.

I only say this to keep you from getting confused and help you out. It helps when you talk to Customer service reps and general device knowledge.

Good luck though, and hope you guys work the issue out.

Heh, my mistake, seems I rushed into trying to get help into this matter, we're still stuck on what to do to resolve the issue, I'll be meeting my friend tonight and will try to call Verizon Rep to see if we can cancel or purge some services that offer global access, for instance, the "Global Feature", "Global Calling Plan", and Domestic/Int'l Voice/Email Services". Even playing w/ the 8830 for 3-4 hrs It still seemed there was something else that could of been tried to resolve her problem, what I still don't get is how can she send/receive phone calls even when no SIM card is present in the phone, its safe to say that her US # with the Verizon account has to be dialed to be answered on the 8830 w/o any SIM, afaik you need a SIM to send/receive calls, unless they took out the SIM card from the picture completely?
    ATT Curve 8300