Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by csbrown I just wanted to clarify something... I'm using an 8830 on ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

Fire7 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: VZW 8830 GPS Action Plan

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by csbrown
    I just wanted to clarify something... I'm using an 8830 on the Bell Mobility network and Bell has done the same thing. When using BB_Maps and starting the GPS function, it just sits there with "Searching for Satellites..." as a message. Sorry the news is not positive!

I"ve got the 8830 from bell too and yes it says searching for sat but it works just give it few sec it will load and work, mine works fine i'm not sure about your 8830

ArgonNJ no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by jabbawabba
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Verizon is worthless. They turned down the iphone because it was too open for users. You really think they give us GPS for free?? But anyway, I too have sent emails.
    I bet they are regretting that decision. I'm sure the suit that made that call is looking for a new job right now.

The best solution if you want an unlocked 8830 is to get the Sprint model. Its GPS is fully unlocked and it looks better in black then the VZW silver color. Verizon will never change its ways as long as customers gleefully accept its restrictions without question. Just go over to the Blackberry Forums and you will find plenty of them. But then again I'm biased, I have Sprint.

Rockintosh no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ
    I bet they are regretting that decision. I'm sure the suit that made that call is looking for a new job right now.
    That's doubtful, given what stock analysts believe to be Apple's deal with AT&T; Apple gets paid a high for the phone AND receives a cut of the monthly revenues. This is why Apple's stock nose-dived when it was announced that "only" 150,000 iPhones were activated in the first 2 days after the phone went on sale.

bond_z3 no está en línea Stack level 2

I agree. I paid for this stupid device and find out Verizon is jewing us out of our money and our applications! If this doesn't change soon, and I HOPE for free, then I will switch to a better service provider unlike VZW

Quote Originally Posted by Rockintosh
    That's doubtful, given what stock analysts believe to be Apple's deal with AT&T; Apple gets paid a high for the phone AND receives a cut of the monthly revenues. This is why Apple's stock nose-dived when it was announced that "only" 150,000 iPhones were activated in the first 2 days after the phone went on sale.
    We shall see. I would be curious to see how many VZW customers jumped ship for ATT & the iphone.

dionnfr no está en línea Stack level 1

I sent and email this afternoon and here is Verizon response on Verizon Navigator.

Mr. Dionne,
    Mr. Strigl has asked me to respond to your e mail.
    Verizon Wireless anticipates VZ Navigator being released in the later this year for the Blackberry. There may be software updates required for the handsets being sold currently, but there are no details available that I can share with you at this time.
    Please feel free to e mail me directly should you have any questions.
    Sincerely,
    Steve Schwed
    Verizon Wireless
    HQ Executive Relations Supervisor
    e-mail Stephen.Schwed@verizonwireless.com

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 4:05 PM
    To: Dennis.Strigl@verizonwireless.com
    Subject: GPS
    Importance: High

I have no problem with Verizon disabling the GPS capability, just wondering when VZNAVIGATOR will be released for the 8830

bq1985 no está en línea Stack level 1

In the previous reply from Verizon regarding the VZNavigator as still being an assumed monthly cost and the only means of using this capability. This is not a answer to why the GPS is disabled???? Just looked at Sprint, and did a comparison. The Phone is more reasonable for the same price + GPS being enabled. Why is Verison being theives of a capability that is offered at no cost to those whom own GPS equipment??? Verizon has no problem pushing there advertisement of being the best network, but lack in sharing with the customer the hidden cost incurred for what should be free.

BrianFeinzimer no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

ryan why are you coming up unavailable on pin?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by bq1985
    This is not a answer to why the GPS is disabled???? Just looked at Sprint, and did a comparison. The Phone is more reasonable for the same price + GPS being enabled. Why is Verison being theives of a capability that is offered at no cost to those whom own GPS equipment??? Verizon has no problem pushing there advertisement of being the best network, but lack in sharing with the customer the hidden cost incurred for what should be free.
    The answer has already been provided:

Because Verizon can and because their customer continue to pay them despite their tendency to cripple devices. If enough of their customers left for other carriers they would definitely respond. Until then, you'll have to settle for possibly being able to use VZ Navigator with your 8830 as the only solution aside from switching carriers.

It's up to the carrier to determine which features are supported on their devices. Visiting Blackberry.com and viewing the details on any model will confirm this. There is no such thing as "should be free". If a carrier offers a feature that you want/need for free then support them with your money and drop the others.

Quote Originally Posted by garthbrooks
    Update Saturday Have not changed a thing on the 8800 and the BBMaps GPS functionality is still working fine, the only thing I find wrong is intersections happen about 500 to 1000 before the actual intersect if that makes sense too you.
    I don't even bother with BB Maps. It may be free but it has all sorts of issues on my 8800 while every other GPS app I've loaded works perfectly (so I know it's not my BB). The lack of voice prompts makes it pretty useless for in-car navigation anyway, IMO.
    Last edited by takeshi; 08-02-2007 at 11:01 AM.

wazuri77 no está en línea Stack level 1

Dear ,

Thank you for your recent e mail to Mr. Dennis Strigl, who has asked me to respond to you on his behalf.

Verizon Wireless' advertisements do not represent the autonomous GPS receiver and you may be referring to and Ad by the manufacturer. There may be disclaimers that not all carriers will sell the unit with the GPS system active.

In the 4th quarter of 2007, Verizon Wireless is expecting to launch VZNavigator in many of our PDA devices. The software to utilize this program would be available to our customers at no cost.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Steve Schwed
    Verizon Wireless

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ
    The best solution if you want an unlocked 8830 is to get the Sprint model. Its GPS is fully unlocked and it looks better in black then the VZW silver color. Verizon will never change its ways as long as customers gleefully accept its restrictions without question. Just go over to the Blackberry Forums and you will find plenty of them. But then again I'm biased, I have Sprint.
    Likely the only way to try to force a change in VZW policy is mass customer protesting. There are however unlikely to be enough VZW 8830 users to make a difference, but it's worth a try if someone has ideas.

Remember how NBC dropped the TV show Jericho, and fan protests (via the form of thousands of pounds of peanuts delivered to NBC HQ) encouraged NBC to change their mind and announce that Jericho would be resurrected for more episodes.

If someone came up with some sort of idea like this, where VZW 8830 uusers could protest the disabling of the device's capabilities in some tangible manner, I'd be in. I think it cost each Jericho fan something like $20 to have peanuts delivered to NBC, they just logged into some web site that sells peanuts and could even pay via PayPal or Credit Card, and they were delivered to NBC with a nicely worded protest card.

Something to ponder if people are REALLY serious about trying to influence the corporate schmoes at VZW....

ari dubov no está en línea Stack level 1

can one connect an external blue tooth gps device to a VZW 8830

audit no está en línea BES Guru
    PIN/ID
    ASK

I like the idea about everyone sending $20 worth of peanuts to Verizon to get them to enable the GPS function. I'd like it on my 8703e also. Count me in!

ari, yes you can use an external bluetooth GPS.
    audit
    -
    Want to be the one of first people to know about RIM outages? Visit http://www.dataoutages.com

wrpmission no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by wazuri77
    Dear ,

Thank you for your recent e mail to Mr. Dennis Strigl, who has asked me to respond to you on his behalf.

Verizon Wireless' advertisements do not represent the autonomous GPS receiver and you may be referring to and Ad by the manufacturer. There may be disclaimers that not all carriers will sell the unit with the GPS system active.

In the 4th quarter of 2007, Verizon Wireless is expecting to launch VZNavigator in many of our PDA devices. The software to utilize this program would be available to our customers at no cost.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Steve Schwed
    Verizon Wireless

i don't quite believe this

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast