Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ok this is what I want everyone who cares about the GPS issue to do: ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

ibmman69 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32BEFCEC

VZW 8830 GPS Action Plan

Advertisement

Ok this is what I want everyone who cares about the GPS issue to do:

I just sent an email to vzw through the website. I would encourage you to do the same. I told them about the telus and bell versions with enabled autonomous gps and that I did not want to hear about agps, e911, or vznavigator. I also told them about the pending sprint release and that I would take my 3 lines to sprint if things didn't change soon. I said autonomous gps several times. I want to flood them wil emails. Also, ask to be escalated to the office of the president.

Please help us all out. Just click the contact us link on the main vzw page and go from there.

Post back your thoughts and the responses you receive.

You can pin me at 32BEFCEC

Ryan

PENorwood no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Re: VZW 8830 GPS Action Plan

I agree, it would be great if they would turn the GPS back on. This was one of the primary features for my buying the 8830. The blackberry site touts the GPS as one of the features so why would I ever think it would actually work?

Verizon, let us have back our GPS! We paid for the phone! It should be our choice!

jabbawabba no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Verizon is worthless. They turned down the iphone because it was too open for users. You really think they give us GPS for free?? But anyway, I too have sent emails.

csbrown no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by ibmman69
    Ok this is what I want everyone who cares about the GPS issue to do:

I just sent an email to vzw through the website. I would encourage you to do the same. I told them about the telus and bell versions with enabled autonomous gps and that I did not want to hear about agps, e911, or vznavigator. I also told them about the pending sprint release and that I would take my 3 lines to sprint if things didn't change soon. I said autonomous gps several times. I want to flood them wil emails. Also, ask to be escalated to the office of the president.

Please help us all out. Just click the contact us link on the main vzw page and go from there.

Post back your thoughts and the responses you receive.

You can pin me at 32BEFCEC

Ryan
    I just wanted to clarify something... I'm using an 8830 on the Bell Mobility network and Bell has done the same thing. When using BB_Maps and starting the GPS function, it just sits there with "Searching for Satellites..." as a message. Sorry the news is not positive!

akosnitzky no está en línea Stack level 3

I do not have access to a computer at this time. If someone sends me link to e-mail them, I will e-mail them as well

csbrown no está en línea Stack level 1

Time for a correction... I tried it again while on the road and it does work on the Bell Mobility Network. I prefer my TomTom 910 to the BB version but this on is always with me.

premiumo0o no está en línea Stack level 1

Hey don't worry about sending emails and harrassing verizon, they already have a software update coming out to unlock the gps. I would expect to see it within the next month or so, they announced this I believe around June 15th.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by PENorwood
    The blackberry site touts the GPS as one of the features so why would I ever think it would actually work?
    The Blackberry site also says that features and services are pending carrier support for them. The Verizon site doesn't list GPS as a feature for the 8830 so I really don't know why you'd expect it. Not to mention that VZW is infamous for crippling devices.

I'm not saying that I don't agree that VZW should enable GPS. Just that I don't see why anyone would have expected it. Their approach to crippling devices is precisely why I won't use them no matter how great their network may be.

Quote Originally Posted by premiumo0o
    Hey don't worry about sending emails and harrassing verizon, they already have a software update coming out to unlock the gps. I would expect to see it within the next month or so, they announced this I believe around June 15th.
    Are they actually opening up access to the GPS receiver or are they just going to offer VZ Navigator for the 8830? I'd suspect the former...

premiumo0o no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    The Blackberry site also says that features and services are pending carrier support for them. The Verizon site doesn't list GPS as a feature for the 8830 so I really don't know why you'd expect it. Not to mention that VZW is infamous for crippling devices.

I'm not saying that I don't agree that VZW should enable GPS. Just that I don't see why anyone would have expected it. Their approach to crippling devices is precisely why I won't use them no matter how great their network may be.

Are they actually opening up access to the GPS receiver or are they just going to offer VZ Navigator for the 8830? I'd suspect the former...

They are opening up all gps features, not VZNav since BB devices do not support GIN features.

tallelf78 no está en línea Stack level 1

They are opening up all gps features, not VZNav since BB devices do not support GIN features.
    well I've heard from multiple sources (other forums, CSR at VZ stores) that they will be offering VZNav for a monthly fee. as far as opening up GPS for 3rd party apps, I still have not seen any evidence to suggest this...

do you have some source for this info?

I would think that once they open the GPS chip for their VZnav crapgram for the 8830 that it will allow programmers to find a way to have 3rd party users use the chip.

Now it seems thats its locked with a deep software lock that has yet to be cracked.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Interesting, considering this message:

The BlackBerry 8830 smartphone houses a proprietary, autonomous GPS receiver. This
    receiver is able to calculate the handheld's location relying solely on GPS
    satellites with no input from cellular towers. While the device does have assisted
    GPS, i.e. A-GPS capability, it houses a "full" GPS system similar in nature
    to GPS systems used by GPS-only car kits and mobile devices. This is designed to
    be accessible by second- and third-party applications such as BlackBerry Maps, Google
    Maps, and TeleNav. Such programs do need a wireless data signal to download mapping
    information, though they can figure out where the BlackBerry is in terms of latitude
    and longitude with just the GPS signal.

The BlackBerry 8830 smartphone as released by Verizon has had this "full"
    GPS capability disabled at a software level. Verizon has indicated that they plan
    to release their own proprietary GPS mapping solution at a later time; possibly
    VZ Navigator. AT&T and T-Mobile have both taken similar routes with their 8800
    series handhelds; locking out GPS access for 3rd party programs and only enabling
    access to the built-in receiver to the TeleNav program that they sell themselves.

If you would like Verizon to enable GPS functionality on the BlackBerry 8830, I
    suggest you contact them and advise them as much.

Thank you again for contacting us, Dennis. If you have any questions or comments,
    feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Adam
    BlackBerry Customer Support
    Research In Motion Limited
    Though Adam is a bit mistaken about GPS apps on the at&t 8800.

garthbrooks no está en línea Stack level 2

I have the BB8800 from AT&T and I downloaded the BBMaps thorugh BB's site went outside and it works fine, now whether or not its going to work down the road who knows but if for some reason it doesnt I will come back and edit my post.

Also from the VZW rep in White Plains NY, she said that word in the office is that GPS is going to be turned on to work with VZ Nav only and you have to pay the monthly fee. I never used theres so I dont know, I HATE CRIPPLING OF PHONES though. Especially for what you pay for them.

Update Saturday
    Have not changed a thing on the 8800 and the BBMaps GPS functionality is still working fine, the only thing I find wrong is intersections happen about 500 to 1000 before the actual intersect if that makes sense too you.
    Last edited by garthbrooks; 07-21-2007 at 01:21 PM.

Will congress' recent ruling help this at all in the future? I thought it was supposed to allow users more freedom for phones and carriers. I hope verizon gets what is coming to them.

mbwilson no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20DCCB16

Jabbawabba-

Do you have a link to this rulling?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast