Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Verizon 8830 takes 12 hours or more to charge from 50% to 100%. I've ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

aa777888 no está en línea Stack level 1

Very slow charging--is this normal? (Update #2--SOLVED--last post)

Advertisement

My Verizon 8830 takes 12 hours or more to charge from 50% to 100%.

I've tried two different batteries so that's not it, and the batteries charge up rapidly in an external charger.

I've tried 3 different chargers including the Blackberry charger and all act the same.

I now have another phone from Verizon which I haven't activated yet and it does the same thing.

Is it normal for it to take this long? It's a huge pain because the battery can never recover via a normal overnight charge and every few days I have to leave it on the charger for two days straight to recover.

Thanks,

aa
    Last edited by aa777888; 09-15-2008 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Updated info

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Is this slow charging via the PC/laptop or the wall charger?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

icuqtpie no está en línea Stack level 3
    No that is definatly not normal!!!!!!!!! Especially using 3 different chargers! I would be exchanging the phone!

tippmann15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Try a different outlet or a car charger, hopefully one of those helps ;-)

Tried all that, guys. Car, PC, wall chargers all work the same on two different 8830's.

Did I get 2 bum 8830's in a row?

Definitely a problem with the phones then. I asked if charging by PC because sometimes power settings on the computer/laptop or missing drivers can cause insufficient charging. But if a wall charger takes that long too, there's a problem. It should only take a couple hours to charge, ..........not 12
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hello aa, how long does your battery last once it is fully charged?
    one thing to try is to make sure you're completely closing any and all GPS programs (and not just exiting them). Also fully closing IM type programs at night while charging.
    Use the left ALT+back key to make sure programs have actually closed, if it still showing up it is still running (other than the main 5 home browser messenger phone messages, those cannot be closed).
    Do a battery pull after and see if it goes back to normal.
    I suspect something is keeping a connection open, using data and draining your battery.
    Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by huracan View Post
    Hello aa, how long does your battery last once it is fully charged?
    one thing to try is to make sure you're completely closing any and all GPS programs (and not just exiting them). Also fully closing IM type programs at night while charging.
    Use the left ALT+back key to make sure programs have actually closed, if it still showing up it is still running (other than the main 5 home browser messenger phone messages, those cannot be closed).
    Do a battery pull after and see if it goes back to normal.
    I suspect something is keeping a connection open, using data and draining your battery.
    Let us know.
    I have not been explicitly closing anything. In fact that is one of the things I've loved the most about going to the Blackberry after being a Windows Mobile guy. The system remains stable and the battery life is fantastic no matter how I abuse the thing. The only problem I've ever run into so far is the occasional runaway web script which is always a battery pull.

I took the brand new, unregistered Verizon phone out of the box, threw a 50% charge battery in it to test this issue and it charged glacially, too. I don't know a better test than that.

How can I tell what's still running and what isn't, not that that apparently matters given the behavior of the second phone.

Thanks,

aa

Well, to see what's running hold the alt key and press escape and you will see what's running in the background on the application switcher.

But I leave 3 IM apps, viigo which auto updates feeds, the browser running, and many other things like empower pro, bb alerts, 3rd party alarm all running in the background and still go from 10% to 100% in just a couple hours. So unless you are listening to streaming radio while charging, or actually navigating with a GPS application while charging, I would not think that was it.......
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Very true, it is something I like about the BB myself, the inherent stability. My train of thought was just to isolate a possible reason and I would hate to recommend you go through the hassle to exchange your BB if you could troubleshoot yourself.

Like aztar says to open the application switcher, keep the ALT button pressed, release the BACK button (or escape) and roll the trackball left and right to see all your running apps.
    If you then notice with those programs closed and a fresh battery pull the blackberry had gone back to normal, it was probably not the handset and you could concentrate on finding which program was the culprit. If it still charged slow, then most likely it is the handset and would have to get it checked and/or replaced.

I find an open GPS tracking program, even in the background, will consume a lot of power if it looses satellite signal and gets stuck trying to reaquire. Same thing with any IM program if somehow it downloaded funny and seem to get stuck maintaining connection. Even after a battery pull, the aforementioned programs, will keep the blackberry programs acting weird if left open and make you scratch your head over the cause, most others will reset after a battery pull and will seem obvious when you open them up again that the problem returns.
    In day to day normal use, no program should give you any grief, you can then try to redownload and see what happens.

Here's what's running (seven items): Blackberry Alerts, Blackberry Messenger, Phone, Browser, Mobipocket Reader, Home Screen, Messages. I tried to "Close" Browser and Reader but they will not close.

It doesn't matter anyway--the new BB I have has nothing on it at all yet, it isn't even registered yet, but it still does the same thing.

aa

Well, I then think your best bet is to get them both exchanged (If you haven't already). It certainly looks like you have come upon 2 BBs with a bad USB connector plug, rare but not unheard of to get two different units with the same seemingly hardware problem (like the low ringer or the EVDO connectivity).
    I guess hearing that once the battery is charged you don't experience quick discharge dismisses programs having anything to do with it.

I say seemingly because an OS upgrade or re-upload if already at the latest, sometimes fixes these issues. I used to have the connectivity issue, the latest OS fixed it. Some folks complain of low ringer volume, some claim an upgrade fixed it, some still haven't found a solution to their problems.

Because you are still getting a charge, small as it may be, could point to maybe a software issue. Then again, I could be completely wrong and the plugs are completely boinked.

For that reason I would get them exchanged and try another one. I have to say, issues like these tend to discourage keeping with a brand, because they do bring up issues other people have had with the handset and makes us think of all kinds of quality control issues (I don't know if this is your first Blackberry) After I got my connection issues fixed, my 8830 is working great.

Good luck.
    Last edited by huracan; 09-09-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Update: some more careful investigation on my part shows the following:

1. Normal charging with the USB cable to my PC.
    2. BB charger, 3rd party charger #1 and 3rd party charger #2: battery indicator shows charging for about 10 seconds then reverts back to just the battery indicator.

Any idea why I would be getting the symptoms under condition 2 above?

Thanks,

aa

Hmmm.I've seen that when there is no power to the socket, a brief charging icon that soon goes away. I asume your wall chargers are in completely different locations (home and office).
    If not, are you plugging the wall chargers in different outlets to ensure it's not the wall socket? Having 3 different chargers go bad themselves maybe from the same shorted wall socket that has fried them all could be a possibility.
    What happens if you wiggle the charger plug at the BB end? If the charging icon returns then it is probably the BB connector itself.
    Other than that I cannot think of why one type of plug charges and other don't.

Wiggling makes no difference. Chargers definitely have power. One of the chargers is a 3rd party battery/BB charger and it charges the batteries in the battery pocket fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast