I've got a friend who is traveling in Armenia with a Verizon 8830. We didn't ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

aherman no está en línea Stack level 1

Verizon 8830 in Armenia

Advertisement

I've got a friend who is traveling in Armenia with a Verizon 8830. We didn't realize that she wouldn't have data coverage. Verizon assured us that all would be OK. Could we unlock the phone, put in a different SIM card and have Blackberry coverage in Armenia?

Does anyone have any experience with data in that area?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    if you unlock it and put in a different sim card you definitely still wont have BIS service. Unfortunately i think you are out of luck. That be a lesson... stick with the GSM carriers!! They have much more experience when it comes to roaming and have many more partners.
    I have menioned in threads that people I know who owned 8830's have had nothing but problems when roaming.

aherman no está en línea Stack level 1

Armenia

From what I can tell, it looks like none of the US GSM carriers have data service in Armenia. Verizon's voice is cheaper than Att in armenia.

Still, she probably get a local SIM card for cheap calls back to US. Any recommendations?

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    If she still has time have her check out telestial.com for their offerings. She can prebuy one of their SIM before she travels and be set to go.
    Also,it sounds like you already know, but she would not need to set any 'international' plan with Verizon since she would be using another SIM exclusively. She just has to unlock the phone.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kazmi no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by dubai_bb View Post
    if you unlock it and put in a different sim card you definitely still wont have BIS service. Unfortunately i think you are out of luck. That be a lesson... stick with the GSM carriers!! They have much more experience when it comes to roaming and have many more partners.
    I have menioned in threads that people I know who owned 8830's have had nothing but problems when roaming.
    I beg to differ - what does happen is that voice while roaming is expensive and depends on the zone(location) you are in....when I was in Dubai, it was $2.49 per minute for voice calls...I had the phone unlocked by VZW but never changed the vodafone sim for the etisalat one as I needed to be in touch via email. Not one issue and I was perfectly connected at ALL times. I just carried an unlocked Nokia 6600 and bought a local prepaid SIM. Our company has 5 8830s deployed and people travel all over with no issues whatsoever. Any other GSM carrier will also charge you for roaming or data while abroad.