okay so i have the 8830 from verizon. i checked and i found i have ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

petaa7 no está en línea Stack level 1

Verizon 8830 can't play youtube

Advertisement

okay so i have the 8830 from verizon. i checked and i found i have v4.2.2.196.

i have a mac, and i was wondering what i would need to do upgrade to the higher versions to be able to use youtube on the phone. any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

(if it would be easier, i could always use my desktop because i always have trouble opening zip files on my mac).

white2003 no está en línea Stack level 3
    That is the newest version that isn't beta. I upgraded to 4.5 beta and I can use youtube now but there are other problems since it is beta. Might as well wait till the real version comes out. It has to be soon!

what does beta mean?

should i upgrade to 4.5 though?

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    the 8330 came out with 4.3 not 4.2. the 8130 was released with 4.2. I could view youtube fine with my 4.3 8330. 4.5 works even better.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

caustic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    oh, my mistake, you have the 8830.....gg caustic...its been a long day...you are right, your 88xx will not view youtube.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by petaa7 View Post
    what does beta mean?
    A beta version is the first version released outside the organization or community that develops the software, for the purpose of evaluation or real-world black/grey-box testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release. Beta level software generally includes all features, but may also include known issues and bugs of a less serious variety.
    The users of a beta version are called beta testers. They are usually customers or prospective customers of the organization that develops the software. They receive the software for free or for a reduced price, but act as free testers.
    Beta versions test the supportability of the product, the go-to-market messaging (while recruiting Beta customers), the manufacturability of the product, and the overall channel flow or channel reach.
    Beta version software is likely to be useful for internal demonstrations and previews to select customers, but unstable and not yet ready for release. Some developers refer to this stage as a preview, a prototype, a technical preview (TP) or as an early access. As the second major stage in the release lifecycle, following the alpha stage, it is named after the Greek letter beta, the second letter in the Greek alphabet.
    Often this stage begins when the developers announce a feature freeze on the product, indicating that no more feature requirements will be accepted for this version of the product. Only software issues, or bugs and unimplemented features will be addressed.
    Developers release either a closed beta or an open beta; closed beta versions are released to a select group of individuals for a user test, while open betas are to a larger community group, usually the general public. The testers report any bugs that they found and sometimes minor features they would like to see in the final version.
    An example of a major public beta test was when Microsoft started releasing regular Windows Vista Community Technology Previews (CTP) to beta testers starting in January 2005. The first of these was build 5219. Subsequent CTPs introduced most of the planned features, as well as a number of changes to the user interface, based in large part on feedback from beta testers. Windows Vista was deemed feature complete with the release of build 5308 CTP, released on February 22, 2006, and much of the remainder of work between that build and the final release of the product focused on stability, performance, application and driver compatibility, and documentation.
    When a beta becomes available to the general public it is often widely used by the technologically savvy and those familiar with previous versions as though it were the finished product. Usually developers of freeware or open-source betas release them to the general public while proprietary betas go to a relatively small group of testers. Recipients of highly proprietary betas may have to sign a non-disclosure agreement. A release is called feature complete when the product team agrees that functional requirements of the system are met and no new features will be put into the release, but significant software bugs may still exist. Companies with a formal software process will tend to enter the beta period with a list of known bugs that must be fixed to exit the beta period, and some companies make this list available to customers and testers.
    As the Internet has allowed for rapid and inexpensive distribution of software, companies have begun to take a more flexible approach to use of the word "beta". [1] Netscape Communications was infamous for releasing alpha level versions of its Netscape web browser to the public and calling them “beta” releases. In February 2005, ZDNet published an article about the recent phenomenon of a beta version often staying for years and being used as if it were in production-level [2]. It noted that Gmail and Google News, for example, had been in beta for a long period of time and were not expected to drop the beta status despite the fact that they were widely used; however, Google News did leave beta in January 2006. This technique may also allow a developer to delay offering full support and/or responsibility for remaining issues. In the context of Web 2.0, people even talk of perpetual betas to signify that some software is meant to stay in beta state. Also, "beta" is sometimes used to indicate something more like a release candidate such as the Halo 3 public beta.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

lol thanks bro for the explanation.

so where can i download version 4.5? any OTA links?

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    you will have to google the link im using 4.5.0.77 try there this is the 3rd beta i have used they all work fine the change i notice with this is the preloaded ring tones are gone but they have a way to reinstall them but since i never used them i left them off

NoRemorse no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31795d7d
    Quote Originally Posted by petaa7 View Post
    lol thanks bro for the explanation.

so where can i download version 4.5? any OTA links?
    OS Upgrades are not something that can be done OTA. It is also against the forum rules to post links to it.

How ever, ALL of the leaked betas I have are windows executables, not sure how OS upgrades work on macs, I have never used one in conjunction with my BB.

damn this is more confusing than i thought.

i guess i'll use my sony vaio and try to google it and download it. thanks all!