Hey everybody, I wanted to know whether or not anybody has successfully unlocked an Alltel ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

JR_Rider no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Unlock Alltel 8830???

Advertisement

Hey everybody, I wanted to know whether or not anybody has successfully unlocked an Alltel 8830 World Edition. I had one prior to purchasing my 8330 and assumed that I would simply be able to put a local sim card in the phone when I got to the Bahamas, but that was not the case. I was never able to use the GSM portion of the phone as it never acquired the network although it listed them as options for me to try. Now, I'm going to Spain next week and am looking at purchasing another 8830 so that I will be able to have phone services. Anyway, I am aware that with Sprints 8830 the GSM portion is already unlocked an you can just pop in a local sim card and you are good to go. I also understand that with Verizon, the GSM portion of their phone is locked but with the proper requirements met, you can contact Verizon's Global Support department and they can unlock it for you. But my problem is I have Alltel and neither of these methods will work for me. I have spoken with Alltel and they have informed me that I can get a sim card from their international partner Travel Comm, but they charge like $3.99 a minute in addition to roaming charges. I have contacted several companies that provide unlocking services but so far they have informed me that it is not possible to unlock an Alltel 8830.......please advise....

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    It sounds like you're in a tough situation. You've covered everything I could have thought of however there is one last option. I would just buy another Blackberry all together that has been unlocked and do a backup and restore to the new phone so you can just buy another sim and use it while you are in Spain. I don't think at this point you are going to have much other options left.

myers6mm no está en línea Stack level 1
    That doesn't sound right. I went to the Philippines last year with my Alltel 8830 WE when I still had 4.2 OS on it. I went to the Alltel store and asked if it was unlocked so I can use a local sim card and they said yes. As soon as I got to the Philippines I bought a sim card threw it in and I had a local phone in minutes.

Ok in the middle of posting this I had an idea! I did a Google search for "Bahamas GSM" and found that they are using GSM 1900 in the Bahamas. The 8830 WE will only use GSM 900 & 1800. So unless you can find a provider down there that is using either 900 or 1800 your out of luck with the 8830.

Hope this helps
    Mike

Hmmm!! That's interesting!! I will have to look into that!! I hope that's the case although I just paid $30 to have an unlock code generated. I'm looking forward to seeing what the case is though...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Learned some interesting information from speaking with a few different Alltel reps. Apparently Alltel actually released an updated version of 8830 that is indentified by an IR at the end. The first cersion of the 8830 they sold is apparently unlocked from Alltel. They want people to go thru their global partner to get a Sim card but it is my understanding that any local Sim will work.That is the model that I purchased. The second 8830 IR Alltel released is locked to only uses Alltel's included Sim, similiar to Verizon's 8830. As soon as I get to Spain, I will update you all as to functionality of my 8830 service.

SANDSJH no está en línea Stack level 1
    http://bb-server.eu/ unlocked my 8830WE.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1383309

...since mine doesn't say Blackberry 8830 IR that it wouldn't work at all even with a sim card as a GSM...
    There is a model RIM8830IR. The original 8830 was only compatible with the TravlComm sim card. The IR version will work the a sim card now provided by alltel.
    There are two versions, the 8830 will roam outside the US/Canada via a seperate number/sim card purchased elsewhere. The 8830IR will roam internationally using your ALLTEL number via a special sim card provided only by Alltel and the roaming charges will appear on your Alltel bill. (one number, one bill, one voicemail)

Great new gang!! The original version of the Alltel 8830 is unlocked out of the box. I have an Orange sim card in my phone now and the service is great. Now I have to try and get the money back for unlocking service from Newmobilefreedom.....

lunchinlondon no está en línea Awaiting email verification

JR_Rider

I am happy to know that you were able to get the Alltel 8830 first edition to work with a local sim card. Did your e-mail and internet access work also?? Also, what is an orange sim card.
    lunchinlondon

jamipr no está en línea Stack level 1
    alguien me puede decir algun codigo de desbloqueo para blackberry 8830 world edition de sprint