Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any thoughts on how we could unlock the built-in GPS on Verizon 8830s? It's outrageous ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

Tom_in_OC no está en línea Stack level 1

Unlock 8830 GPS?

Advertisement

Any thoughts on how we could unlock the built-in GPS on Verizon 8830s? It's outrageous that Verizon routinely disables features on devices its customers have purchased -- and then lies about it.

Ironically, mine arrived from Verizon with Blackberry Maps installed.

I'm not a coder but I would gladly agree to organize and contribute to a fund to be paid to the first person who solves this problem. It would be worth the effort just to tweak Verizon.

My other 8830 surprise: I previously used a Samsung i730 with an unlimited PDA data plan. I routinely tethered this Windows Mobile 5 device when traveling. When I tried to log in using the username and password that I used with my i730, the system rejected my password.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: Unlock 8830 GPS?

Unlocking the GPS ? Not possible AFAIK. Have heard that VZW might be releasing a software patch at some point, but that is only conjecture at this point, nothing confirmed by anyone in the "know".

As for tethering, you should be on an BB dataplan with your 8830, which isn't the same dataplan as you had with the i730, hence the user name and PW won't work. Not sure about VZW, but most carrier (maybe not Sprint) requires a specific tethering in plan to tether a BB.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

When have they lied about it?? They don't list GPS as a feature of the 8830 on their site as far as I can tell.

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I think "lie" might be an exagegeration since, yes BlackBerry announced the 8830 had GPS capabilities (though it had an * saying to check with carrier for availability).

Regarding tethering you don't need a login andor password you need a tethering plan add-on. $15/mo

jabbawabba no está en línea Stack level 3

Well, the rep told me in the store that there was infact NO GPS chip at all.... it had to be removed to make room for the CDMA and GSM chips.

I don't think he was a mental giant so I don't consider it lying. However, when I bought the phone the telesales person told me that it had GPS and it would follow me around when i drove. That is a lie.

Brooose no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3032A20A

Ipicked up the black skin case at the Verizon store the other day and the rep told me that there would be an update enabling GPS and it would not be attached to anything that Verizon would be selling. I hope he is right but it smacked of being told what I wanted to hear.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Tom_in_OC no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    When have they lied about it?? They don't list GPS as a feature of the 8830 on their site as far as I can tell.
    Over at crackberry.com, you'll find many Verizon customers who have been lied to about this feature. Either salespeople lied in stores, lied on the phone or service reps lied in email messages. Of course, these people may be simply disseminating the disinformation which Verizon calls "training."

And of course, it's common knowledge that the device does possess GPS and thus it's reasonable for consumers to assume that the device they buy will have the feature, whether Verizon explicitly references it or not. If the service provider disables features on a device, they should explicitly disclose this in their communications regarding the device. By not proactively disclosing this, they have misled the customer.

These types of business practices are common in any industry without adequate competition. If competition empowered consumers to easily switch vendors, these practices would disappear tommorrow. Competitive service industries can't force contracts which amount to two-year loans.

marks1966 no está en línea Stack level 1

I specifically asked teh Verizon rep if the 8830 had GPS and was told yes! I was shocked to learn the feature has been disabled, which is a smack in the face considering Sprint who also used CDMA has it activated on their 8830 and working with TeleNav. If you go to the TeleNav site you can get your 8830 to work with the purchase of an external GPS receiver. What the heck is happening? I called Verizon again and they told me the GPS interfers with teh GPS transmission, yah right! It olny took you how long to release the 8830. I think we were all duped and I am considering dumping Verizon for good! When will they learn that Palm Treos are dogs with fleas and that everyone loves their BB.

garthbrooks no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by marks1966
    I specifically asked teh Verizon rep if the 8830 had GPS and was told yes! I was shocked to learn the feature has been disabled, which is a smack in the face considering Sprint who also used CDMA has it activated on their 8830 and working with TeleNav. If you go to the TeleNav site you can get your 8830 to work with the purchase of an external GPS receiver. What the heck is happening? I called Verizon again and they told me the GPS interfers with teh GPS transmission, yah right! It olny took you how long to release the 8830. I think we were all duped and I am considering dumping Verizon for good! When will they learn that Palm Treos are dogs with fleas and that everyone loves their BB.
    I like your post, but seeing how this is my second year with the liars, and cripplers, the only thing I can say is what I said before, I have the AT&T 8800 and I downloaded the BBMaps right through BB and it works great, now as far as the calls and clarity, my family and friends have said that they can hear me just fine and there is no difference at all in the service besides cost, I have sat at home and at work, and done speedtests and loaded web sites that are either wap. or www. all have loaded with in 5 seconds or less of one another. I can sat that AT&Ts tech support leaves allot to be desired, but hey its nothing close to "DELL HELL".

garthbrooks no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    takeshi, you know they did it was proven and your just trying to throw salt into the wound. You read the posts and commented.

txxg no está en línea Stack level 1

I made Verizon give me a $100 credit on the bill for the cost to purchase an external GPS receiver. It took three phone calls to a L2 supervisor followed with a request to be contacted back from their supervisor. I never received a return phone call for any of the request - they ignored me. So, I would have the 48 hours and then call them back and complain and make the same requet. They told me it was a security issue with their network. BS - the GPS works off of US Government Sats and has nothing to do with their cell phone signal. Maps using the cell network with update maps based on positions received from the GPS receiver.

Verizon is a LIAR and that's why I would never use them for a provider unless it's the only available option. That being the case for me!

maytag6309 no está en línea Stack level 2

guys I know for a fact blackberry can only hold 3 Chipset in this device. Untill intergration or chipsets become smaller. we are stuck.

Subarudude no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    who noze

Is Gps Really That Important??>

you knoww.......having GPS on ur phone really isn't as important as everyone is making it. I mean, I've been out of the US plenty of times, and even then never felt the need for a GPS device (not that the phone would work with GPS out of the US anyway)

but the point is, if you really need a GPS device just go on ebay and get 1 for your car, why are you going to make your phone run slower with all these application add-ons.

Personally, yes, I was all hyped about GPS, but I took about 1 minute to think about it and realized that it's not as amazing as it's been all hyped about.

Plus, what beats personal knowledge of backroads from your internal "GPS" , aka , your brain!!! c'mon,
    I'm sorry to say that our world is growing pathetic to have to depend on GPS for every detail of traveling (this is for personal, civilian use only, not military, and vacation purposes(aka plans, etc)) But i mean, c'mon, if you really have to depend on GPS under the age of 45, then you really went wrong somewhere, (sorry if i've offended any)...

Because I've had moments where my friends would scold me for reminding them of how stoooopid they are that they do not know how to get around their own town, because they are so used to using their car enabled GPS to get to and fro . . .

anyway. . . thought i'd put my two cents into this thread, once again, sorry if I've offended any.......
    Last edited by Subarudude; 10-04-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: easier reading...

schollianmj no está en línea Stack level 1
    yea sub dude, I kinda agree. but in a business where I travel a lot, I am frequently in unfamiliar areas. yes I simply can get out an old paper map ( who remembers when these were all we had?), but is is a lot easier and SAFER to simply program my GPS to give me turn by turn audible directions. I have used Telenav when I was on Sprint and now have an external puck for my 8830 on Verizon. I use Amaze. granted I only use it maybe once every other month, but it is nice to have.

do you consider me to be one of the "Pathetic" people? I am under 45. did I go wrong somewhere? I dont htink so. I simply look at it as someone built a better moustrap.

NoRemorse no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31795d7d
    Quote Originally Posted by Subarudude View Post
    you knoww.......having GPS on ur phone really isn't as important as everyone is making it. I mean, I've been out of the US plenty of times, and even then never felt the need for a GPS device (not that the phone would work with GPS out of the US anyway)

but the point is, if you really need a GPS device just go on ebay and get 1 for your car, why are you going to make your phone run slower with all these application add-ons.

Personally, yes, I was all hyped about GPS, but I took about 1 minute to think about it and realized that it's not as amazing as it's been all hyped about.

Plus, what beats personal knowledge of backroads from your internal "GPS" , aka , your brain!!! c'mon,
    I'm sorry to say that our world is growing pathetic to have to depend on GPS for every detail of traveling (this is for personal, civilian use only, not military, and vacation purposes(aka plans, etc)) But i mean, c'mon, if you really have to depend on GPS under the age of 45, then you really went wrong somewhere, (sorry if i've offended any)...

Because I've had moments where my friends would scold me for reminding them of how stoooopid they are that they do not know how to get around their own town, because they are so used to using their car enabled GPS to get to and fro . . .

anyway. . . thought i'd put my two cents into this thread, once again, sorry if I've offended any.......
    I have to disagree with you. I have a GPS for my car, but it's nice when I am in a friends car, or walking in a city, to get turn by turn GPS instructions ANYWHERE. I am going to be carrying my phone around anyways, I am sure as hell not going to be carrying a round a GPS with me everywhere I go in conjunction with my phone.

As far as it slowing the phone down.. ?!?!? how so? Obviously while you are using it it will slow it down, but it's not gonna hurt while it's not running! That is completely flawed logic!

I am not saying it is the most important feature in a phone, just that saying it's not a sizable feature is pretty naive. And verizon are crooks, disabling hardware that you pay for, and then lying to your face about it. It's total BS and anyone with other options should exercise them and vote with your dollar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast