So far my travels with my 8830 has been excellent. The Sprint -nternational plan works ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

tstrike no está en línea Stack level 3

travelling worldwide with my 8830

Advertisement

So far my travels with my 8830 has been excellent. The Sprint -nternational plan works really great and takes about 6 minutes to set up over the phone with Sprint customer service.

When I got off the plane in Amsterdam my 8830 was already receiving both my calls and emails.As we reboarded for Bergen Norway my phone was already making the transition to include getting a welcome and help message from NetCom.

I thought the experience was gonna really duck, boy I was wrong.

Re: travelling worldwide with my 8830

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the signal is little weak in the countryside but I am still kicking butt

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

have you tried to use data yet other then emails

gameboy213 no está en línea Stack level 3

And what is the cost? When you are all done traveling, what did you pay? isn't it like 99 cents a minute?

wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by gameboy213 View Post
    And what is the cost? When you are all done traveling, what did you pay? isn't it like 99 cents a minute?
    I believe it is actually $1.29 per minute for voice in most countries. I spent about two weeks overseas a year or so ago and my bill was over $700; and that was just for voice calls (I hardly used any data)!. I didnt (obv) have an 8830 then, but I was using my Tmobile phone with international roaming. Not only is the voice expensive, but the data will kill you too, especially if you use a BB! The lesson for everyone here is make sure you select a BB specific international plan so that you wont get hit with a $1000+ bill. Even then, be careful or you will fall off your chair when the bill arrives.

davidscott no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c28f5e

i have a quick question on this note, i have an 8830 and i was in mexico a w.. now when i have my phone on is it automaticly using data?

like if i just have it on is it checking e-mail and al that as its there?
    and if so that would mean that i waould be charged for that?

Quote Originally Posted by davidscott View Post
    i have a quick question on this note, i have an 8830 and i was in mexico a w.. now when i have my phone on is it automaticly using data?

like if i just have it on is it checking e-mail and al that as its there?
    and if so that would mean that i waould be charged for that?
    Did you make calls or use the data connection? If not then you are fine, a BB isnt an iphone.

**I should clarify, if you have applications that automatically download content (like BB Weather) then you WILL be charged for data.

davidscott no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c28f5e

well i know that making calls is going to automaticly be roaming.. but as far as me being in a nother country and my e-mail automaticly checking all the time?..

Quote Originally Posted by davidscott View Post
    well i know that making calls is going to automaticly be roaming.. but as far as me being in a nother country and my e-mail automaticly checking all the time?..
    If you have it set up to do so, then yes.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ok my voice was 1.2d a minute (I have used about 17 minutes)

My international data plan was unlimited.

While here in Norway I roamed both NetCom and Telenor. Telenor gave me no data via GSM but I did have choice in whom I wanted to roam with. NetCom greeted me with a friendly message via SMS and gave me some precise instructions. I visited with my wifes family in Strandebarm Norway and had DECENT data despite being 2 hours away from Bergen and being in the mountains!

I got email, downloaded video, used Worldmate Live, and even Pinstack...

Keep in mind that I had to manually instruct my 8830 several times to roam on NetCom because when the signal dropped, it found Telenor first (even when I had NetCom at the top of my preferred networks).

When I get back to the US today I will call Sprint to find out the charges.

Heart attack or a sigh of relief? Stay tuned.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~well I am here in Amsterdam on a 5 hour overlay and I gotta tell you Vonafone is making a serious push to make the KLM lounge BB friendly. They have an I CAN promotion here in the Crowne lounge featuring the Curve and the pearl. They even have a nice little stand which is pretty cool. My data connection is FREAKING outstanding!