Hello, I have a BB 8830 (world edition) phone from Bell Mobility here in Canada. ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

psaul no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Travel to NZ with 8830, local SIM with data plan?

Advertisement

Hello,

I have a BB 8830 (world edition) phone from Bell Mobility here in Canada. I understand the GSM portion of it is unlocked on Bell phones (same as Telus and Sprint, but NOT Verizon). I am currently connected to my company's BES server.

I am going to New Zealand for a month in Feb. I would like to bring my phone and be able to access the internet. I do NOT need (or want) my company BES email or my North America phone number. (it's a vacation!

My plan is: sync my BB to my desktop Outlook, wipe my BB and leave the BES. Sync all the contacts, etc back to my BB and use BIS (I'll probably set up a Gmail account).

When I am in NZ I want a LOCAL phone number but I want to be able to surf the web and access a BIS and/or gmail account.

Is this possible? Can I buy a local SIM card from a vendor (or Vodafone) that will have a data plan? I don't mind even buying a plan (if I can just buy 1 month). (we arrive and leave from Auckland, we're there from Feb 8th to March 5th).

I know I could roam, but not only will it cost more, but I don't want my work email or phone number. If I can't get a SIM with a data plan, will I at least be able to get a SIM card and basic phone service? (at least my contacts will be all there)

Thanks very much,
    --Saul
    (This is my first trip over-seas with this phone.)

croman no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    207b39f0

Re: Travel to NZ with 8830, local SIM with data plan?

you shouldnt have a problem with finding a Local SIM and using a data plan there.. I just got back from a month in India (traveling around with friends) and I brought my Curve 8310 with me. got it unlocked and bought a sim, and signed up for a BB Data plan and was ready to go!

search online for a few carriers in NZ and possibly even email them and ask questions!

Hope that helps.

Thanks for you reply.

I think Vodafone is the only cell company in NZ. I used their "contact us" link but have gotten no response as of yet. I will try calling them from Canada to ask (no sense in bringing my BB if it won't work, right?)

How did you sign up for the data plan after you got to the SIM? Or was it a SIM taht including a data plan? (unfortunatly, coming from Canada, I have never used GSM phones so I'm a tad clueless on the whole, buy a SIM, swap out, etc experience).

I will try calling tonight and let you know what I find out.

--PSaul

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Huh? They definitely have GSM in Canada...

It's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to find BB data on a prepaid SIM.

I know they have GSM (Rogers is GSM in Canada) but I've only ever had a Telus or Bell cell phone, which are both CDMA -- I just meant I've never had to deal with SIM cards.

I still have not had a reply from Vodafone, I tried calling several stores in Auckland over several evenings and have always gotten their answering message (yes I'm calling during their business hours). So I have not been able to ask about pre-paid with Dataplan.

If you think it's slim-to-none to find one, what about a monthly plan, or giving them my credit card? Do you think I can find any non-yearly-contract with a data plan?

When I call Vodafon they mention calling their toll free line, 0800 800 021 I think, but I can't from Canada. Would anyone know an actual, non toll free, number for Vodafone customer service in NZ that I can call long distance?

I'm beginning to think my BB will be useful for only keeping my contacts and playing break-out!

--Saul

maddogmick no está en línea Stack level 1
    Just to let you all know I bought my BB world from Verizon and called there tec guys and they unlocked the sim part of the phone for me and it works in UK, Dubai< and switzerland
    it wasnt a hassle they did it over the phone for me

Mick