To all, please be aware that I have tried all evening to get video on ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

sabregen no está en línea Stack level 2

I think I'm gonna lose it...transcoding video for 8830

Advertisement

To all, please be aware that I have tried all evening to get video on my Blackberry, read the supported formats list, and use multiple suugested programs with no avail. The only program that worked was the Roxio Media Manager, and on my brand new $3000 laptop that has a freaking Core 2 Quad, 4GB of RAM, and 3x 7200RPM drives in RAID-5 it took over an hour to convert what was already a 350mb file down to 195mb and put it on the microSD card. I refuse to believe that this is the best solution. I would much prefer to use SUPER, as I do have other mobile devices, and SUPER certainly seems to offer a ton of options.

The problem is, when a program like SUPER is available, with a ton of options, it leaves tons of room for error. I have looked at the suggested encoding settings for the 8830, and for the 8830 in SUPER, but no one ever covered all of the categories that are available, which is nigh on useless!

If you use SUPER and have an 8830, or know with absolute certainty that you can commit the proper setting into SUPER to playback video on an 8830, a screenshot would be a beautiful thing! Alternatively, listing each category, and the proper setting would also be just as useful.

Unfortunately, the video types that are supported on my 8830 would not be my first preference for use on other devices (meaning I'm not looking to encode the video once for multiple devices), so I'm not concerned with what format of video I end up, as it will only go to the 8830.

I have tried:
    BB Video Converter - file would not play, which is strange
    Roxio Media Manager - takes an incredibly long time to transcode realtively small files, on a fast machine
    AutoGK - to my understanding, XviD is not supported, but DivX v4 is...unfortunately, v4 sucked IMO

Guys, I've got a week long trip coming up for training in Witchita, and a lot of time on the plane to cover...I'd love to be able to use my BB to entertain me. Please help! Maybe a 8830 video guide for morons would be useful? I've done tons of transcoding before, but for the life of me, this device stumps me, and I refuse to wait an hour to transcode and copy such small files. Thanks in advance!

Re: I think I'm gonna lose it...transcoding video for 8830

I'm my own best friend. At long last, I discovered the magic settings. Better believe I saved this file for future reference. Direct link:http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...ersettings.jpg

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by sabregen View Post
    I'm my own best friend. At long last, I discovered the magic settings.
    Kudos! Great Job!

You beat me to the punch....

I was having the exact same issue. However due to my work load it was not at the top of my priority list, thus I was working at it a bit at a time.

Thanks for the link, as now I'm set.

By the way what brand & model of laptop are you using? Sounds like an oustanding machine!

via Red BB 8310 Curve

Laptop is a Sager NP9262 - Core 2 Quad q6600, 3x 160GB 7200RPM in RAID-5, 4GB PC2-6400, 17" UWSXGA 1920x1200 super gloss screen, Intel 4695 ABGN wireless, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, Realktek 8 channel HD audio, Nvidia 8800m GTX 512MB (with a slot for another in SLI when nvidia releases the drivers), 2.0MP camera in the lid, full size keyboard with number pad, AOpen mini-PCI HD tuner & BeyondTV 4, Dual layer DVD Burner (can take a BD-RE burner, but too expensive right now), 7-in-1 media reader, GbE, modem, dvi, vga, s-video....weighs 15+ lbs with battery and power brick

pinpoint no está en línea Themes Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask me.

15+lbs... WTH? Madness!
    Last edited by pinpoint; 02-21-2008 at 08:05 PM.
    dcrin3.com
    One Second Coming
    1s-
    Tour - 9/6/9 | ~3pm

Laptop is a Sager NP9262
    Just as I thought, I guessed Sager as it was the only maker I could think of that makes a laptop with that many resources.

What a fantastic machine! Who did you buy it from?

via Red BB 8310 Curve

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Just as I thought, I guessed Sager as it was the only maker I could think of that makes a laptop with that many resources.

What a fantastic machine! Who did you buy it from?

via Red BB 8310 Curve
    Purchased directly from Sager on 12/19/07, delivered 1 month later. People always drop their jaw when i tell them I have a quad core laptop that weighs 15lbs.

Update: for those of you following this thread, I've used SUPER to get all my videos into 3GP format, using the above screenshot settings. This is a wonderful tool! To rip DVDs:

Ripit4Me>DVD Decrypter>SUPER>ApecSoft AVI 3GP Joiner (trial for 10 days)

All the others, except AVI 3GP Joiner are free. Anyone know of a free 3gp joiner for the VOB files?

Purchased directly from Sager on 12/19/07, delivered 1 month later
    ------
    Excellent! Thanks for the fast response. This is the exact config I've been looking for. How do you like the display, keyboard & touchpad?

I will be taking mine on the road with me for entertainment, gaming & such in the evening at the hotel. I will also have my ThinPad for work, so the Sager will be just for fun. Any suggestions about ordering or what you might have done differently when configuring it?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
    via Red BB 8310 Curve

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    ------
    Excellent! Thanks for the fast response. This is the exact config I've been looking for. How do you like the display, keyboard & touchpad?

I will be taking mine on the road with me for entertainment, gaming & such in the evening at the hotel. I will also have my ThinPad for work, so the Sager will be just for fun. Any suggestions about ordering or what you might have done differently when configuring it?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
    via Red BB 8310 Curve
    The keyboard is good. The upgraded 1920x1200 screen is excellent. The webcam is decent, the touchpad is alright. I would use it more if it had the functionality to scroll from left to right, as well as up and down. This is my first "full-time" laptop, meaning all others that I have had saw nowhere near as much use in their lifetimes as this one has in almost 2 months. That being said, perhaps some of these are just adjusting from custom watercooled, high end, overclocked gaming rigs down to a mobile gaming laptop. You be the judge:

Anything that requires intense use of the optical drive is terrifyingly slow. That being said, I'm used to 20x SATA burners, so 8x IDE dual layer seems like I jumped backwards about 12 years to the first Pioneer DVD drive that I bought. I don't think that there's much to be done about this. I wish that I could have gotten then the BD-RE / DVD burner option, but when I ordered the machine, it was not yet available, and it's still to expensive for my taste, right now.

I'm currently running a RAID-1 configuration, for the first time (ever...been running RAID-0 for OS partitions for the last 10 years w/ storage drives in addition to RAID-0), so I don't know what to say about this. I knew it would be a performance hit, but I wasn't expecting it to be as much as it is. I would say that RAID-0 is about 30-40% faster than a single drive implementation, and RAID-1 is about 20% slower than single drive configs, so I'm hurting. This is only exacerbated by the fact that I ordered it with 5400RPM drives. I should have got 7200RPM drives off the bat. The price difference would be worth it. I am moving from RAID-1 to RAID-5 in the middle of next week (before I go on the road), so that I can get some more HDD space, keep the redundancy, increase the throuput, and install Windows XP 32bit (currently dual booting Vista x64 Business and x64 Ultimate, so XP will be on top of that).

I just today ordered a Pinnacle HDTV Pro USB tuner from www.woot.com. I have had TV Tuners in my desktop machines for years, and recently sold off my aging Sapphire Theatrix 550Pro PCI-E tuner. I was hoping to find an internal HDTC mini-PCI tuner, as the laptop (even if ordered without any internal tuner) already has the antenna port and S-Video outpu ports in the side of the machine, but the only model that I could find was an AOpen, and I'm just not terribly fond of them. Plus, that AOpen didn't have an MCE compatible remote, which would be required, for me. I think I will likely disassemble the USB key, wire it to the internal USB hub pinouts, and run the antenna cable to the inside of the chassis internal port. This will not be for everyone, but I like that kind of stuff.

The audio is decent, and I really see no reason to get a Creative X-Mod or anything of the sort. If you really want true digital ouput, the laptop has a mini-TOSLINK optical ouput on the second front port in from the left. You can get a mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK optical cable for cheap (and a lot of other cheap, but very high quality cables) from monoprice.com. Cable type on the left is TOSLINK, and you'll be looking for the second half (bottom) of the page, "TOSLINK to mini plug"

When nvidia finalizes the drivers for 8800m GTX sli, hopefully later this month, you'll have the option to upgrade, as well.

Mine was ordered directly from Sager, but you could also checkout XoticPC.com

Mine was ordered directly from Sager, but you could also checkout XoticPC.com
    Wow!

Great comprehensive report, answered all my questions. Thanks!

I will check out XoticPC.com, I was not aware of that company and I'm ready to place and order so that suggestion is timely.

Cheers.....