Just a quick question......I am aware that you can use your bb as a tethered ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

digdoug no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31D73DE7

tethered modem?

Advertisement

Just a quick question......I am aware that you can use your bb as a tethered modem for a laptop,but I'm wondering if it works the same way for a PC. I've been having connection issues at home,and want to try it if it can happen. Thanks in advance,stacks!
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Laptop......PC.....the phone doesn't care one way or the other. Just have to set up the correct settings (same as for the laptop) and you should be good to go provided all the rest of the settings on your account allow it.

Zo

jonesjj no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yes it works for a pc. I've only used the usb connection but it works. Same setup.

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Laptops n PCs are the same thing for the blackberry...

As long as you have the correct settings in there...

oefares no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    yup, yup....it's all good. And btw I used well over 2Gig last month on my data plan...no extra charges. Mobility has reached a new level of excitement.

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me
    just set up a dial up connection using the standard modem that will be installed when you pair the device , then use #777 as the number dialed and off you go . just set the connection properties to disconnect either never or when you want it too, or it will keep dropping the connection on you and you will have to reconnect when you need it again and you can set it up in the internet options to dial it when ever a connection is needed so when you launch a browser it connects automatically . it sees the berry as a standard modem like its installed in the computer your using . i have been using this type of internet connection for years and have no problems either . and i use several gigs a month on top of that sprint includes it with the 39 dollar plan

digdoug no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31D73DE7
    Well I'm with alltel and they charge 30 bucks a month on top of my 160 for my regular bill. I have an unlimited data plan,so is there any way I can do it without having to pay the extra cash? If I do this as the dial-up option like someone said above,would alltel ever even know it??

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    The blackberry data plan includes the tethered modem option... It uses the same data service...

But just confirm with your carrier to make sure...

My tethered modem services are included in my bis plan...

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Quote Originally Posted by digdoug View Post
    Well I'm with alltel and they charge 30 bucks a month on top of my 160 for my regular bill. I have an unlimited data plan,so is there any way I can do it without having to pay the extra cash? If I do this as the dial-up option like someone said above,would alltel ever even know it??
    at&t and Verizon (and apparently AllTell) do not include tethering with the bis plan, it must be added on as a seperate feature and cost. As for using it without their knowledge, that depends on how much you use. I have seen reports of people using their laptops with at&t tethering through a BB and not seen any extra cost on their bill but this was truly sporadic use (once a week or less) and for short time periods. There are ways for them to be able to tell what device you are using so if you plan on using it long term, I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Zo

dlevans06 no está en línea Awaiting email verification
    PIN/ID
    23F2B4C8
    Can someone clarify what the settings actually are to have the phone tethering feature to be fully functional?

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    It varies by company but I do recall someone either putting a list together or a list of links together that can help you out. I will see if I can find it and add it to my post.

Zo

http://forums.pinstack.com/f140/conf...0c_7130c-4473/

This was posted by Hayden a while back for the 8700 and 7103 but I don't think the instructions have changed for the newer units. Someone will definitely correct me if I am wrong since I have not tethered a BB in a long time.

Zo
    Last edited by Amigotek; 04-24-2009 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Link