Earlier today I received an email from RIM saying I could update my BB. I ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

vandenhooff no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Telus 8830 OS 4.5.0.160 is out

Advertisement

Earlier today I received an email from RIM saying I could update my BB. I have received these in the past and nothing ever happened but I clicked on the link, went to the web site, and when I plugged in my 8830 I was prompted to update the OS. Wow it worked...

Now my BB is running 4.5.0.160. I am a Telus customer so I assume this is Telus' 4.5 release.

Can anyone confirm?

Did anyone else update their 8830 today?

Until I updated I was using another OS. I believe it was 4.5.0.135. Hopefully 4.5.0.160 does not have the memory leak I was experiencing. So far so good.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    The only thing showing official on Telus is 4.2.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    I think he means doing the online upgrade, direct from blackberry.com and click in the update online button
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    I think he means doing the online upgrade, direct from blackberry.com and click in the update online button
    Good point, if that is the case judging from past experiennce with the web updater then within 24-72 hours it should show up as an official update on the website.

vandenhooff no está en línea Stack level 1
    Sorry Stackers, yes it was the online upgrade. The difference this time was I have received similar "upgrade" emails from RIM before (maybe 5 times in recent months). I would click the link, visit the site, go through the motion, but nothing would happen. It would always say there were no updates for my model.

So if this update is not from Telus then which service provider is it from? Or has RIM taken over the upgrade process?

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Now that make more sense

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by vandenhooff View Post
    Sorry Stackers, yes it was the online upgrade. The difference this time was I have received similar "upgrade" emails from RIM before (maybe 5 times in recent months). I would click the link, visit the site, go through the motion, but nothing would happen. It would always say there were no updates for my model.

So if this update is not from Telus then which service provider is it from? Or has RIM taken over the upgrade process?
    If you received an email about an upgrade it should be based on the PIN for your device and not because one carrier did it and another didn't. I guess maybe I am a little confused since you have received the notifications before and they didn't work.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    i've received an email stating that Tmobile has oficially released 4.5.0.124 for the 8700, since im registered to get those emails, funny thing is that my 8700 is running .124 a long time ago...
    When i say i have Bold family phones, I meant it, from the older to the younger, even the unborn ;)

rjs122 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Any idea how to unlock themes with an online update? It does not look like this update process copies a blackberry.alx to the computer.

Dano1969 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    302218F3
    Yes it is an offical Telus release. As far as I see on the Telus download page.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...AsvRsvDfXBG6gg**

dominic78 no está en línea Stack level 1
    oops, doubepost....
    Last edited by dominic78; 06-10-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Hello, I am kind of new to the forums but noticed this update so I gave it a shot on my vzw 8330. I am running BDM 4.7.0.37 with device software 4.5.0.77 (downgraded from 4.5.0.119). I installed the 8330AMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel253_PL3.4.0.41_A4.5.0.160_Tel us_Mobility.exe and deleted the vendor.xml file. I then ran the app loader and it found the .160 update along with the .77 version as available options. So I checked the .160 and clicked next. It then scanned again for available updates and went back to main app loader window saying "No software update is required for your device"

I am not sure why it is refusing to update, am I missing something?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by dominic78 View Post
    Hello, I am kind of new to the forums but noticed this update so I gave it a shot on my vzw 8330. I am running BDM 4.7.0.37 with device software 4.5.0.77 (downgraded from 4.5.0.119). I installed the 8330AMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel253_PL3.4.0.41_A4.5.0.160_Tel us_Mobility.exe and deleted the vendor.xml file. I then ran the app loader and it found the .160 update along with the .77 version as available options. So I checked the .160 and clicked next. It then scanned again for available updates and went back to main app loader window saying "No software update is required for your device"

I am not sure why it is refusing to update, am I missing something?
    If you are using DM 4.7 you might try disconnecting from the Internet while attempting the upgrade. Also since you are Verizon try going here . I am Alltel and was able to upgrade via the updater to .160 after receiving an email. Since Verizon and Alltel are about to be one then maybe they released it as well. Never hurts to try.

Yes, sry. I should have read through the thread more thoroughly. I just read about the internet connection post and it appears to be working now. Thnx!