ok so i am getting a new phone, i was looking at the 8830, now ... BlackBerry 8830 forum

dom08 no está en línea Stack level 1

Telus?

Advertisement

ok so i am getting a new phone, i was looking at the 8830,
    now i will be traveling to Europe... i will be using a SIM card (vodaphone?)
    now i was wondering if this will work...?
    like do i just plug and play... not problems?

thanks alot

Dom

Wirelezz no está en línea Stack level 2
    yup its unlocked

huracan no está en línea Stack level 3
    I second that, it will work.
    You do have to keep in mind the limitations that roaming internationally will bring and in particular what the 8830 can and can't do, specially with a different SIM than what comes preinstalled from your provider.
    I have found that CDMA providers have misrepresented what 'unlocked' means, they are locked for all intents and purposes until you validate and activate the SIM that comes preinstalled (in effect then unlocking the phone as well even if they don't call it that and Verizon being the only one that requires an extra step to unlock the actual phone) even if you don't intend to use the original SIM; this should be accomplished at the same time that you activate your phone, if it comes activated to your phone number I would still call your international department to verify your SIM has been activated and that your account allows for international roaming.

After that you are good to go, you should not get charged for anything unless you actually place or answer a call when roaming internationally. If and/or when you replace the original SIM with a local one keep in mind your BB service will not work when roaming in GSM, even if you get the international BB plan, because the plan is tied to a particular phone number and that changes when you change SIM. Having it work with another SIM I understand is more a headache than its worth, specially to return everything back to home mode.
    Telus seems to have a very good tutorial and information guide in their website, better than what I have with Sprint. Enjoy your 8830, you will not regret it.

will i still be able to access my email? with roaming internationally?
    with a different SIM?
    or will i still be able to with the "stock SIM"

Quote Originally Posted by dom08 View Post
    will i still be able to access my email? with roaming internationally?
    with a different SIM?
    or will i still be able to with the "stock SIM"
    With the telus provided SIM you will be able to access email, if you have an international BB plan the limit before you start incurring oveage charges will be stated by the plan itself, say unlimited or 10MB. Make sure you know how those limits differ between home use and international use. If you don't have a BB international plan, you will still be able to get email, but you will be charged a roaming per kb charge.
    If you swap SIM and you are roaming on GSM you will not be able to get email. Each SIM has a particular phone number associated with it, and since your BB would now have a different sim card your BB service would not be able to 'find' you. You could swap back and forth for when you want to place calls and then when you want to use email/web (I find the SIM on the 8830 a hassle to remove, you have to remove the battery and the card itself is tough to remove with just fingers).
    Roaming internationally can be full of surprises if you don't do your homework and honest truth is that there is conflicting and incomplete information that is being provided by our celcoms about the 8830. Just like you're doing, make sure you ask lots of questions.
    Last edited by huracan; 03-30-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: orthography

ok
    well here
    how about i tell you what i want to do and you guys can help me out??
    i am really looking for a way to send emails, or text messages... i would really like to you a SIM card (prepaid?), or even access to the web?...
    what would you say would be the best?
    thanks alot
    Dom

I was going over the Telus web site and there seems to be no comfortable answer.
    I know of no prepaid Blackberry plan, only short term travel providers that charge pretty exorbitant fees for the privilege like cellhire and roadpost; I think in any case these are meant for (pre-8830) use of a blackberry in GSM only countries by CDMA users and to smaller degree 'blackberry for a day' use.
    You are better off activating a plan that allows use of international data (email and web) and switching back to a regular plan when you come back home. I don't know if Telus allows for that, so you will have to call beforehand because the website is not clear on this.
    I have to say that when it comes to international travel a GSM phone co is by far the better choice when it comes to convenience, blackberry or not.
    Also prepaid SIM for voice capabilities only are only cheap if you plan to come close to using all the prepaid minutes.

In short, Telus will allow international use of data (email/web/IM), but make sure your account is provisioned correctly and you select a plan that gives you the best rates for the amount of traveling time you intend to do.

what about rogers?
    an unlocked rogers phone.
    do they have international pre paid sim cards?
    or does anyone?

Rogers phones themselves would make perfect worldphones since their blackberries in particular are quadband gsm, seamless use in most of the globe.
    According to the RIM site Canada has these providers that offer Blackberries: bell, telus, aliant, tbay tel and rogers.
    Check each out and send'em emails with your requirements and see what they say.

tbonanno no está en línea Stack level 2
    In my travels (Europe, Australia, Mexico, Central America), I have not found any local "prepaid" plans that include data. Just voice. I'm sure there are some, I never found them though. I think to get any email, etc. you will have to activate your carrier's SIM and use their roaming plan.
    Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
    Santa Fe, New Mexico USA